PDA

View Full Version : Australian Purses

monistee
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I've been watching Australian races the past couple of months. And once a week they have a couple of race cards of just stake races. Purses raging from $90,000 to $900,000. Which I love to watch. But my question is , how can they pay these purses when they don't seem to get a huge handle. I know they have bookmakers there. Do they figure into the equation.

csperberg
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I think they did a combined pari/bookmaker handle of $8.48 billion USD in 2008

Only France, Great Britian, Japan and the United States had higher handle in 2008. That is the most recent information posted at http://www.horseracingintfed.com/home.asp

Here is a link to the wagering information by country http://www.horseracingintfed.com/wageringDisplay.asp?section=15&statsyear=2008&report=D

nearco
03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I've been watching Australian races the past couple of months. And once a week they have a couple of race cards of just stake races. Purses raging from $90,000 to $900,000. Which I love to watch. But my question is , how can they pay these purses when they don't seem to get a huge handle. I know they have bookmakers there. Do they figure into the equation.

Where did you get the idea that they don't have a big handle?
The have one of the highest per capita figures in the world for gambling on horse racing. I think only HK, Japan and Ireland would be higher per capita.

nearco
03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Here is the per capita totals for major horse wagering nations, i.e amount bet per annum for every man/woman/child in each nation.

HK --- $874.00
Ireland --- $867.56
Aus --- $283.27
Japan --- $194.42
GB --- $178.56
France --- $145.60
USA --- $31.81

The Chinese and Irish sure do like to play the ponies!!!!

Seabiscuit@AR
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
The win betting pools in Australia are far far bigger than comparable betting pools on USA races. In Australia you have to combine the pools from 3 different totes to get the total figure. In addition plenty of money is bet at fixed odds too

Exotic betting is not as big in Australia but there will still be some OK money in these pools

Steve 'StatMan'
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Last I remember, there are separate pools in North American on Austrailian Racing, so one can't get a true picture of Austrailan handle looking at US/CA online wagering sites.

monistee
03-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I was going by the pool totals from HPI.com. I figured it was paying the same as on track. Which made me think it was the main pool. It all makes sense now. :ThmbUp:

Foolish Pleasure
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Here is the per capita totals for major horse wagering nations

Uh no it's not. 50% of the US handle never hits a tote,
and the other numbers are not in US dollars.
Hong Kong dollar worth abt twelve and half cents last I looked.

Otherwise right on.

and to the OP-once a week at one track they run nothing but stake races.

Aussie dollars worth abt seventy-five US cents last I looked and they ain't running $900KAUS DOLLAR races but less than once a month anyway.

Foolish Pleasure
03-06-2010, 01:52 PM
The win betting pools in Australia are far far bigger than comparable betting pools on USA races. In Australia you have to combine the pools from 3 different totes to get the total figure.

No they are not even adding all three together and taking into account betfair. Oh three days a year it is true-awesome.

Where do you people come from exactly?

like $25billion USDOLLARS a year bet on US horse races all sources-all hate america idiots can eat it.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Thomas Roulston
03-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Australia is also one of the more innovative countries when it comes to purse distribution: Most Australian tracks pay anywhere from 1% to 2% to each of the 6th-7th-8th finishers, and more than a few to 6th-7th-8th-9th-10th (but why it's the same amount regardless of where the horse finished within that range is something I'll never understand), plus a "Starter Subsidy" (similar to California's "starter's bonus") to the rest of the finishers even lower than that (the 6th, 7th money, etc. is part of the stated value of the purse; the starter subsidies are not, as in California).

nearco
03-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Uh no it's not. 50% of the US handle never hits a tote,

That's true for other countries too. For example, many of the big British bookies have taken their online wagering offshore to avoid levy.

and the other numbers are not in US dollars.
Hong Kong dollar worth abt twelve and half cents last I looked.

Otherwise right on.

All those numbers were actually in Euro, not dollars. My mistake.
However, it's Euro for each country, not the local currency as you suggest.
The Euro was worth about $1.50 for most of 2008, so multiple the numbers on the page posted by csperberg by 1.5 to get the amount in dollars.

Btw, the

formula_2002
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I think they did a combined pari/bookmaker handle of $8.48 billion USD in 2008

Only France, Great Britian, Japan and the United States had higher handle in 2008. That is the most recent information posted at http://www.horseracingintfed.com/home.asp

Here is a link to the wagering information by country http://www.horseracingintfed.com/wageringDisplay.asp?section=15&statsyear=2008&report=D
nice web sites ty

csperberg
03-07-2010, 04:17 PM
no prob