PDA

View Full Version : Free Virus Software

kitts
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I know this subject has been discussed here before, but I have a wrinkle to deal with. I have a 2 year old nifty machine with AVG Free 9.0. My roommate has a 12 year old IBM Aptiva with Win98. However, we both access the Internet through a Router which makes us sort of networked and I am trying to do without the Norton on his machine

So, my question is: Anybody know of free anti-virus software that will support win98 (other than Norton)?

GameTheory
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I know this subject has been discussed here before, but I have a wrinkle to deal with. I have a 2 year old nifty machine with AVG Free 9.0. My roommate has a 12 year old IBM Aptiva with Win98. However, we both access the Internet through a Router which makes us sort of networked and I am trying to do without the Norton on his machine

So, my question is: Anybody know of free anti-virus software that will support win98 (other than Norton)?You're just looking to replace the Norton on the Win98 machine or you're looking for something that will work with both? No need to do the latter -- you should use the best you can on the new machine. Why not just leave the Norton on his machine?

Houndog
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
According to the website CLAMWIN AV is free open source and supposed to work with Windows 98. The problem with the other free AV programs such as AVG; AVAST; etc the editions that support Windows 98 no longer give you the ability to update virus definitions.

Following is the link to CLAMWIN. It may be worth a try and I will probably try it also as I have a Windows 98 machine that I use to run older DOS based programs.

http://www.clamwin.com/

Good Luck;
Mike "Houndog"

Tom
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I use AVG 9.0 and have never had a problem since I started (also on a router).

kitts
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll check out Clamwin. The AVG website seems to not offer Win98 support and they appear to not respond to users of the Free Version. I don't want to keep Norton since it cost $40 to renew last year.

judd
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
i am a fan of avg :ThmbUp:

letswastemoney
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll check out Clamwin. The AVG website seems to not offer Win98 support and they appear to not respond to users of the Free Version. I don't want to keep Norton since it cost $40 to renew last year.
try going to download.com and typing in avg free version.

kitts
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I am still unable to install AVG free on Win98. Maybe I will try again. And I sure will go to download.com this weekend. Fortunately, my current Norton is valid until April

Robert Goren
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I use AVG 9.0 and have never had a problem since I started (also on a router).If it has anything to do with a computer and it doesn't cause problems for Tom, then it must be good.;)

Tom
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Bingo!:cool:

pktruckdriver
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
What about free for windows 7 home premium edition, please

Red Knave
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
What about free for windows 7 home premium edition, please
Hi Patrick

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Works for any version of W7

pktruckdriver
03-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Patrick

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Works for any version of W7

Thanks I will try it.

hracingplyr
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Was looking at the I mac desktop yesterday truly a sharp looking system 27 inc monitor. My question for anyone is can i stll run my bris pp generator? Someone send i mat need to by a windoes program and a program called paralell.