PDA

View Full Version : Policy Question for PA: Delete offending post(s) vs. lock thread?

Indulto
03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I started a new thread to rebut remarks in the Stronach poll thread because I thought my post would likely have been deleted from the latter for straying to far from the original thread topic.

I don’t regret that particular post, but my better half has convinced me that a more sensitive individual, and the parent of a daughter in particular, would/should have interpreted miesque’s subsequent contributions to that thread as waving a white flag (to some degree). Given that possibility, my third post in that thread was unwarranted, and I would appreciate it if PA deleted that post and re-opened that thread for continued discussion of its more positive aspects, especially those based on Dave Schwartz’s remarks.

I think enough evidence now exists for everyone to make up their own minds as to what HANA is and what it isn’t. There are many things it does well. If, in fact, it cannot be the agent of change that levels the playing field for the recreational bettor, then so be it. Perhaps some other vehicle will eventually come along to address that need. Hopefully, what HANA does accomplish for its membership in the future will not come at the expense of small bankroll bettors.

With regard to board policy, PA, under what circumstances is it appropriate to start a new thread (not off-topic) related to a portion of an existing one?

Greyfox
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
If, in fact, it cannot be the agent of change that levels the playing field for the recreational bettor, then so be it.

That was never said or implied re: HANA in the deleted thread.
(I wasn't a fan of the deleted thread from the get go and suggested Butterfly nets. But I read it and never saw anything of that nature about HANA in it.)

Relwob Owner
03-04-2010, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=Indulto]I started a new thread to rebut remarks in the Stronach poll thread because I thought my post would likely have been deleted from the latter for straying to far from the original thread topic.

I really dont think you are being genuine here.....you started a new thread targeting one response just because you thought your response wfrom another thread would be deleted? Really hard to believe-it would be easier to believe if your post had been deleted and then you decided to start the thread as a result.....

Your thread seemed to simply be an attack on her and that was proven throughout the thread.....it also seemed to set the table for fellow "bombthrowers" to pile on. Not sure of any of this, but that is definitely the way it looked.....

Deepsix
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
It appeared that way to this reader, too. Some old wounds festering and AndyM also used the opportunity to play his "Hana Board Member" card, once again. Seems to me that he's attempting to force HANA to remove Miesque from the Board, or her resignation. Just my opinion.

Hanover1
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Its as close to a retraction as we will get? :confused:

LottaKash
03-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I just love it when Miesque talks "French"....ooh lala...

best,

andymays
03-05-2010, 04:07 AM
It appeared that way to this reader, too. Some old wounds festering and AndyM also used the opportunity to play his "Hana Board Member" card, once again. Seems to me that he's attempting to force HANA to remove Miesque from the Board, or her resignation. Just my opinion.

I certainly don't want Miesque removed from the Board but it is laughable that you might think that I would have anything close to the kind of influence to do that. The truth is that she does good work for the most part in my opinion. We just have a toxic relationship. Not uncommon.

The more likely scenario is for HANA to ignore me and if that's how it shakes out then so be it.

I understand it is your opinion but your opinion would be wrong. You would have to go through more than a year of threads to learn the truth.

Indulto
03-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Those exercising their privilege in this thread to express their doubts concerning my sincerity obviously have not experienced the pleasure of having their posts deleted after a fair amount of effort has been expended; and on more than one occasion. Nor have they had any reason to be concerned that one of the board monitors has issues with them that might cause them to anticipate the worst. I don’t need or want their approval or understanding, but perhaps others as well can do without their ignorance.

Relwob Owner
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Those exercising their privilege in this thread to express their doubts concerning my sincerity obviously have not experienced the pleasure of having their posts deleted after a fair amount of effort has been expended; and on more than one occasion. Nor have they had any reason to be concerned that one of the board monitors has issues with them that might cause them to anticipate the worst. I don’t need or want their approval or understanding, but perhaps others as well can do without their ignorance.

You seem to have a hard time going through a post without insulting someone or a group.....you almost made it on the above one but couldnt seem to resist the "ignorance" thought at the end...

Your argument makes very little sense here IMO-if you are so scared that your post will be deleted, how could you think that a thread attacking one person wouldnt? Logically, you would have been better responding within the thread and that would have had a better chance of not being deleted than a whole thread directed at one person.....thus, your words still seem to be ingenuine,as this whole "I was afraid my post would get deleted" argument doesnt add up.....

As far as others doing without ignorance.....do you ever think that others could do without your obvious personal vendettas and also your displeasure with how the board is being run policy wise? I would question the point of complaining about how Pace runs the board on a thread, thinking that is a discussion to be had with him and others via PM.....he owns it, he runs it and it would seem to me that anyone angry about how it is run and also with those on it has every right to go somewhere else....

Stillriledup
03-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Some get preferential treatement here. I bump an old post and somehow get scolded and have the thread locked....someone else does it and no one says a word.

Greyfox
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I don’t need or want their approval or understanding, but perhaps others as well can do without their ignorance.

I'm not sure what the above sentence means. However, if it means that some of us here have "ignorance" with respect to you and your history posting on the board, that would be true in general for me. I haven't read many of your previous threads or posts. Mea culpa.
I did though read the previous thread in question. From that thread, I had drawn different conclusions about HANA than you did. On that I wasn't ignorant.
I agree with Relwob Owner. The suggestions you have here should likely have been made via PM to PA. So there are two threads in a row now where I have at least moderate reason to wonder about your discretion in making appropriate choices.

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Some get preferential treatement here. I bump an old post and somehow get scolded and have the thread locked....someone else does it and no one says a word.It was explained to you in the other thread what happened. Stop being silly.

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2010, 10:39 PM
With regard to board policy, PA, under what circumstances is it appropriate to start a new thread (not off-topic) related to a portion of an existing one?I often moderate by the seat of my pants, so I really don't have an answer for you.

It's kind of served me well for 10+ years, so I am going to stick with it for now.

Bruddah
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Most of you have seen PA and me bump heads and opinions over the years. Some of those differences have been fierce and quite ugly. However, if you have never owned, operated and administered a successful "chat board", you would change your opinions quickly of a person who has done so for 10 years. I could only do it for eight and it became a labor and not a love.

PA and I will bump heads in the future but it will never be over his inalienable right to do it his way. Will he administer the board correctly? Yes, probably 95% of the time. All of us wish our own handicapping could be so successful.

We can all have differences over issues with PA, but never his right to do it his way. He pays the bills. We can always go to another forum.

Just another old mans opinion. ;)

tucker6
03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Most of you have seen PA and me bump heads and opinions over the years. Some of those differences have been fierce and quite ugly. However, if you have never owned, operated and administered a successful "chat board", you would change your opinions quickly of a person who has done so for 10 years. I could only do it for eight and it became a labor and not a love.

PA and I will bump heads in the future but it will never be over his inalienable right to do it his way. Will he administer the board correctly? Yes, probably 95% of the time. All of us wish our own handicapping could be so successful.

We can all have differences over issues with PA, but never his right to do it his way. He pays the bills. We can always go to another forum.

Just another old mans opinion. ;)
I belong to some pretty diverse forums on the internet (from science to real estate to sports), and PA does a good job moderating in spite of the fact that the members here are generally more salty than the average internet forum. I appreciate the fact that his hand is not often on the delete/lock button.

Indulto
03-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I often moderate by the seat of my pants, so I really don't have an answer for you.

It's kind of served me well for 10+ years, so I am going to stick with it for now.PA,
Since the post hasn't been deleted and the thread is still locked, I assume the seat of your pants has moved you to quash my request. ;)

My sentiments are similar to those of Bruddah. Few things are perfect, but this board is way ahead of whatever is in second place.:ThmbUp: