PDA

View Full Version : new edition of Office for Window's XP

so.cal.fan
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I am getting a message on my excel and word documents that my version of Office will expire in a week.

Do I need to puchase a new one online?

Any suggests will be helpful to me.

Thanks, guys.

Diane/so.cal.fan

wilderness
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Were you using a trial version?

Never heard of an expiration for a full version.
I'm still using Ver 2000.

michiken
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
If you want a free office suite, you can try go-openoffice (http://go-oo.org/)

Just uninstall the Micorosoft and don't pay their tax.

Robert Goren
03-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I still run office 97 sometimes although I have mostly switched to Open Office. I just have gotten around to switching some apps that seldom use.

bigmack
03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
MS is coming out with Office 2010 in 6 weeks. You can get the beta version on their site.

Of late they've sent out an update that checks the authenticity of your current Office Suite. If it ain't registered, et al., they'd like for you consider doing bidness with 'em.

so.cal.fan
03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the information.

I'm working on a local political election here in my town, and use a lot of documents from EXCEL.

so.cal.fan
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I got Office Home and Student 2007.
Downloaded it a few days ago. It's okay......but I added my Outlook Express on it today, after getting a prompting message and now my spell check is haywire....it corrects every word I type. What to do.

Big Mac, can I upgrade to the new 2010 when it comes out?

Microsoft products are getting expensive!

Dave Schwartz
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Microsoft products are getting expensive!

They have been expensive for a long time. Consider that there are versions of Windows that cost more than the computer they run on!

CBedo
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
They have been expensive for a long time. Consider that there are versions of Windows that cost more than the computer they run on!Software adds the value (but you knew that right Dave, ;) )!

If you or a friend work at company that is larger than a few people, check with your human resources or IT department to see if they have a deal with Microsoft (many do) that would allow you to purchase Office or other products under their corporate plan. If that's available, Office will cost you only 10-25 dollars for the whole enterprise edition.

Tom
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
.....and now my spell check is haywire....it corrects every word I type. What to do.

Quit misspelling everything! :D

Robert Goren
03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

so.cal.fan
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
:lol:
Tom!
I was educated in the L.A. City School District.
I'm lucky to be able to type and read, let alone spell.

My Outlook Express is part of the Home Student Office 2007
The spell check is in French, and I have tried everything to change it.
You can't contact these Microsoft people, they offer no help whatsoever.
I have a call into my computer guy, I'll have to pay him to make a visit, but I'm doubtful that even he, will be able to fix this.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

BenDiesel26
03-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Just partition your hard disk and install a linux distribution. You can have your pick of the litter of openoffice, koffice, gnome-office etc. Or you can install each individual program one at a time, FOR FREE with FREE UPGRADES. I do think for what I do word 2007 is incomparable. But as far as the others go, its every man for himself. In particular, gnumeric is almost identical to excel 2003, and has the best function ever that nobody knows about (offset, at least for what I do). Its a little shaky on inserting charts, but excel 2007 is crap for charts containing thousands of data points (it freezes on a dime). If you have a debian based linux distribution, its as simple as opening up a console in a superuser profile and typing

sudo apt-get install gnumeric

Or if you want to install the whole open office suite,

sudo apt-get install openoffice

If you don't like it, just replace install in the above command with remove. Then free upgrades for life for all of your software by simply typing

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Since installing linux I have become obsessed with the ease of installing and removing software. And I must say gnumeric is one heck of a spreadsheet program. There is so much free stuff out there it's amazing.