PDA

View Full Version : How about Tyler Kaplan on Soldier Betty? Home Run in first at bat!

andymays
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
On his first mount ten pound apprentice Tyler Kaplan has an eventful ride but still wins on Soldier Betty in the fifth at Santa Anita.

Good for Tyler and good luck! :ThmbUp:

www.calracing.com for the replay!

andymays
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
http://blog.winningponies.com/2009/03/04/15-year-old-tyler-kaplan-plans-to-be-champion-jockey/

Excerpt:

Around the track, they call 15-year-old Tyler Kaplan "Little Stevie."
That's because the youngest student to attend jockey Chris McCarron's racing academy in Lexington has been compared to Steve Cauthen, the champion jockey who made history when he won the Triple Crown as a teenager in 1978.

Talk to Tyler for five minutes and you see why people are making the connection:

"I want to win the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Apprentice Jockey of the Year in 2011 and, as soon as I can, ride in the Kentucky Derby," he says. "I think I have the will and the confidence and the determination."

Tyler, a home-schooled student, took online classes year-round to get his high school diploma at 14 so he could study at the jockey school McCarron opened in 2006.

Stillriledup
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
That's amazing, to win a route race from behind in your first lifetime start against top jocks. Awesome stuff.

Spalding No!
03-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I realize he's going to be a bit green, but doesn't anyone think that the rider might of caused his own problems in that race?

Joey D
03-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes..what an adventure he had. That mare was sure ready to run.
Good job Tyler and good luck!

Stillriledup
03-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I realize he's going to be a bit green, but doesn't anyone think that the rider might of caused his own problems in that race?

All in all, i think he did great. He was pinned down in the 1 path in a somewhat large field. yeah, this was on him, the horse just ran off a bit for him and he wasn't able to rate this horse like a veteran would have. Someone actually knew he was somewhat talented to bet him down to 5-2. To wager that kind of money on a 10 lb bug who has never ridden a race takes confidence. Maybe Chris MCCarron unloaded!

andymays
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
HORSE RACING: Apprentice Kaplan wins with first ride

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/equestrian/racing/article_dbf8caef-8530-554c-afb6-c311417cc24a.html

Excerpt:

Although victorious by one-half length, Kaplan's maiden voyage wasn't without incident. According to the Equibase chart, Soldier Betty "was shuffled back into the (far) turn, came out off heels leaving the turn and (was) three deep into the stretch, rallied under some urging while lugging in through the final furlong, bumped with Lucy Got Lucky in late stretch but got up nearing the wire."

"In this race, I was just trying to let her get into her rhythm and keep it going. We broke from the number two post position and before the race, Vladimir told me to try to get her outside and don't get trapped inside.' But as we went down the backside, we were down there and I didn't want to panic and take too much hold of her. I had wanted to save the rail, but I had so much horse and she was pulling, so I had to go outside and she got it done."

Kaplan, who took on-line classes and graduated high school at age 14, has his sights set high. "My three goals were to win a race at Santa Anita, become a successful jockey and win the Kentucky Derby."

Robert Goren
03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
A good horse over comes a bad ride and wins. Geez, it happens all the time except when I bet on them.;)

andymays
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
A good horse over comes a bad ride and wins. Geez, it happens all the time except when I bet on them.;)

I can tell you this he didn't panic or just wrap up on the horse like some journeyman riders would have done. He kept trying. The horse was probably 5 lengths the best with all the trouble but it's still a good story. In the Jocks room they messed him up pretty good after the race but he was all smiles in an interview afterward. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Do they still paint his .....when a jockey gets his first win?

andymays
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Do they still paint his .....when a jockey gets his first win?

Don't know. I think each colony has its specialties.

cj
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
An awful ride that won anyway. He'll need to improve a LOT. It isn't often you can cost a horse that many lengths and still win.

No inquiry? How did they not give this race a second look?

Show Me the Wire
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Brutal ride.

Stillriledup
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
An awful ride that won anyway. He'll need to improve a LOT. It isn't often you can cost a horse that many lengths and still win.

No inquiry? How did they not give this race a second look?

Inquiry on who? For what?

Igeteven
03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Watch this kid, he will win, he has the talent to be a good jockey, the trainers will use him because of his 5 pound allowance.

johnhannibalsmith
03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Watch this kid, he will win, he has the talent to be a good jockey, the trainers will use him because of his 5 pound allowance.

Hard to miss him.

cj
03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Inquiry on who? For what?

If you have to ask, there isn't really much I can say.

Stillriledup
03-06-2010, 12:33 AM
If you have to ask, there isn't really much I can say.

Im asking because to my knowledge, the inquiry sign was never posted. There was also no objection. Stop confusing me!

Dahoss9698
03-06-2010, 12:37 AM
If you watch the race (heaven forbid) or read the article Andymays posted it should be obvious who or what the inquiry should have been about.

Stillriledup
03-06-2010, 02:06 AM
If you watch the race (heaven forbid) or read the article Andymays posted it should be obvious who or what the inquiry should have been about.

I'll trust the stewards, they said it was a clean race, that's what i saw also.

Dahoss9698
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll trust the stewards

Good idea.

Joey D
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting also that at calracing.com there just happens to be no head-on replay of that race..the only race that doesn't have one..hmmm :eek:

Spalding No!
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Interesting also that at calracing.com there just happens to be no head-on replay of that race..the only race that doesn't have one..hmmm :eek:

Is this kid some sort of "feel good" story that needs to be protected and force fed to promote racing?

Seriously, if there was no inquiry or claim of foul, at the very least the stewards should have called him in to review the race.

Of course, Danny Sorenson was allowed to do as he pleased in yesterday's 2nd race (aboard Suziqcute) so maybe the stewards are only calling fouls if someone gets hurt.

Robert Fischer
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
he had the best horse, and he lucked out in that the "trouble" gave him perfect timing instead of moving early with the rest, but he didn't crumble with things being eventful, and I liked the hug on the horse. I'm rooting for him. I root for any new jockeys to be be good, although it's rare.

Joey D
03-06-2010, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Spalding No!]Is this kid some sort of "feel good" story that needs to be protected and force fed to promote racing?

Yeah..Boots Malone II

Tyler seems like a nice kid though and I wish him all the best. :ThmbUp:

andymays
03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Is this kid some sort of "feel good" story that needs to be protected and force fed to promote racing?.

Yes it's a feel good story. I've been too bitter lately so I thought I'd start this thread. ;)