PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox Online Storage

CBedo
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I know Chickenhead had started a thread earlier about online storage, and someone had mentioned Dropbox, but I wanted to mention my experiences with it.

You get 2 gigs free (50 gig for 9.99 a month), and can sync multiple computers to the cloud based storage, as well as mobile. There is even an iPhone app as well.

Although the iPhone isn't the optimal pdf reader (the iPad might be?), I just wanted to test downloading a report from BRIS and putting in my Dropbox folder. I downloaded and saved some pdf pps to the folder (which is a subfolder of "My Documents," and then picked up my iPhone. In that short a time, the file had already been synched to my online storage. Sure enough, when I opened the Dropbox app on the iPhone, the file was there, and easily opened it up to check on a few races.

I'm also using it to have a home based server download all the data files I need each day, and then I can access them from my laptop, no matter where I am (as long as I have an internet connection). Also, if you want to share a single file with someone else who doesn't have a Dropbox account, it will create an internet address for the file for you.

After some time using the service, I'd highly recommend it. It takes almost zero setup time and is super easy to use.

bigmack
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I remember that. As mentioned, DropBox is slick.

Now, just jailbreak your iphone and you're really rockin'.