PDA

View Full Version : Let's all sing Kumbaya

hcap
03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Do Kinder People Have an Evolutionary Advantage?
"Positive psychology" research indicates that the kinder you are, the more likely you are to survive -- and evolve.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, are challenging long-held beliefs that human beings are wired to be selfish. In a wide range of studies, social scientists are amassing a growing body of evidence to show we are evolving to become more compassionate and collaborative in our quest to survive and thrive.

In contrast to "every man for himself" interpretations of Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, Dacher Keltner, a UC Berkeley psychologist and author of "Born to be Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life," and his fellow social scientists are building the case that humans are successful as a species precisely because of our nurturing, altruistic and compassionate traits.

http://www.alternet.org/health/145888/do_kinder_people_have_an_evolutionary_advantage

cj's dad
03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
That's great news - I'll probably live to be 100 !! :rolleyes:

Tom
03-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Evolution has no morality. The strong survive, the weak do not.
When you carry the weak, you dilute the species.Those who cannot thrive on there own are designed to die off.

Creationist, however.........:cool:

Snag
03-04-2010, 07:45 AM
hcap, your posts sound more like Light every day.

DJofSD
03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Darwin's theory is not about every man for himself.

This is the kind of muddled thinking and lack of understanding that gave us global warming.

rastajenk
03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
If this hypothesis is true, liberals will eventually face extinction.

Rookies
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Kinder, smarter (http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2010/02/liberals_atheists_are_smarter.phpoh well... nothing new here... carry on... ;)

JustRalph
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Kinder, smarter (http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2010/02/liberals_atheists_are_smarter.phpoh well... nothing new here... carry on... ;)

yeah right............

Greyfox
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, are challenging long-held beliefs that human beings are wired to be selfish. In a wide range of studies, social scientists are amassing a growing body of evidence to show we are evolving to become more compassionate and collaborative in our quest to survive and thrive.

The problem with these supposed wide range of studies done at Universities is that they are done at Universities. Undergraduate Students are the subjects.
So what we really end up with is a Psychology of Undergraduate Students rather than a psychology of real people.
A second problem is that many of the studies are "self-report" wherein people are given pencil and paper questions and asked what they would do.
They are not observational studies of what people actually do.
Richard Dawkins wrote "The Selfish Gene."
I'm sure that he could argue with most of these researchers his case that we are "hard wired" to act in groups with our self interests in mind.
Reading deeper in your post though, I'm seeing a latent suggestion as to why we should buy in to the forthcoming Health Care bill and its universality.

Greyfox
03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Do Kinder People Have an Evolutionary Advantage?
"Positive psychology" research indicates that the kinder you are, the more likely you are to survive -- and evolve.

Aha. A new study out in Science says
"CAPITALISM MAKES US KINDER"

According to researcher Joe Henrich:

"Free-enterprising, impersonal markets may seem cutthroat and mean-spirited, but a provocative new study says markets have been a force for good over the last 10,000 years, helping to drive the evolution of more trusting and co-operative societies.
“We live in a much kinder, gentler world than most humans have lived in,” says anthropologist Joe Henrich of the University of British Columbia, lead author of the study that helps topple long-held stereotypes.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Capitalism+made+society+kinder+study/2699128/story.html#ixzz0ieVLri18 (http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Capitalism+made+society+kinder+study/2699128/story.html#ixzz0ieVLri18)

johnhannibalsmith
03-19-2010, 03:37 PM
From the Montreal Gazette nonetheless... 46Z, come tell us what a rag that fine Canadian periodical must be...

46zilzal
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
From the Montreal Gazette nonetheless... 46Z, come tell us what a rag that fine Canadian periodical must be...
I have no idea as I live in British Columbia and do not speak French.

Greyfox
03-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Actually 46Z is in a position to go "set the guy straight, if he disagrees.:D "
Joe Henrich is the lead researcher who did the study at The University of British Columbia which is also in Vancouver. If you disagree 46Z, go tell Joe. I'm sure that he'd love to hear your definitive ideas on the subject. :lol:

Greyfox
03-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I have no idea as I live in British Columbia and do not speak French.

Yes. That's where the researcher is too and The Montreal Gazette is an English language paper.

46zilzal
03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually 46Z is in a position to go "set the guy straight, if he disagrees.:D "
Joe Henrich is the lead researcher who did the study at The University of British Columbia which is also in Vancouver. If you disagree 46Z, go tell Joe. I'm sure that he'd love to hear your definitive ideas on the subject. :lol:
do it yourself as I don't give a shit either way

Greyfox
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
do it yourself as I don't give a shit either way

I don't live in Vancouver and I don't claim that various forces are destroying capitalism as you did earlier today. I think capitalism is alive and well.

BlueShoe
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley,
I stopped right there, and went no further. UC Berkeley, Moscow-By-The-Bay, center of far left ideology, a university where being a member of the Communist Party is not viewed in a negative light. A bunch of Marxist professors or Ayn Rand, which point of view would you think more closely depicts the real world?

46zilzal
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
A bunch of Marxist professors or Ayn Rand, which point of view would you think more closely depicts the real world?
neither