PDA

View Full Version : Another Dem won't run for Re-Election

JustRalph
03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/house/democratic-rep-eric-massa-wont.html?wprss=thefix

Interesting reasons given..............

skate
03-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I've got nothing against NY, but I just can not think of a decent Politician from that State, what gives?

i can't find too many from any otherr state either

Tom
03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
It's the water here.

Robert Goren
03-04-2010, 08:14 AM
No one since Nelly.

DJofSD
03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Like rats leaving a sinking ship.

JustRalph
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.boblonsberry.com/writings.cfm?go=4

WHAT I HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ERIC MASSA
I’ve known about Eric Massa’s problem for more than three years.

And I’m not talking about his lymphoma.

I’m talking about the fact that he is reportedly attracted to men, and that he manifests it in inappropriate ways.

And now he is leaving Congress over it.

At least that is the assumption in Washington, as he yesterday announced his decision not to seek re-election, on the same day that it was reported that the House Ethics Committee is investigating a claim that he sexually harassed a young male staff member.

In Massa’s statement, he intimated – but did not directly say – that he was leaving public life because of his health. He also referenced – but did not specifically deny – a report of the accusation.

I hope Eric Massa’s health is strong, and that his cancer has not returned. But I seriously doubt that this is about his health.

It is about his conduct.

much more at the link

johnhannibalsmith
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
No one since Nelly.

We saw a lot of things differently as liberal as he was, but I admit to thinking that Mario was a good politician. He didn't represent my views very often, but as far as politicians go, he seemed an example of a decent one.

JustRalph
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
If this was a Repub it would be on every damn station

Quagmire
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
If this was a Repub it would be on every damn station

You mean like this?

Sources tell CBS13 a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving Faces, a gay nightclub in midtown Sacramento, early Wednesday morning.

The California Highway Patrol pulled over Senator Roy Ashburn at 2:00 a.m. Wednesday after an officer noticed a black Chevy Tahoe swerving at 13th and L Streets.

The Sacramento County district attorney says Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn's blood-alcohol level was .14 percent when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving near the Capitol.

Ashburn, a father of four, is a Republican Senator representing parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino Counties with a history of opposing gay rights

When the officer stopped the state-issued vehicle, the driver identified himself as Senator Ashburn. He was arrested without incident and charged with two misdemeanors: driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol level higher than .08% or higher.

A male passenger, who was not identified as a lawmaker, was also in the car but was not detained

Robert Goren
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Eric Massa is going to be interviewed by Glenn Beck today and be on Larry King tonight. If you watch either of these shows regularly, consider yourself warned.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
You mean like this?
.................................................. ..............................................

Ashburn, a father of four, is a Republican Senator representing parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino Counties with a history of opposing gay rights

A male passenger, who was not identified as a lawmaker, was also in the car but was not detained[/I]

Maybe he was doing research, pertaining to his future votes.

He wasn't given any preferential treatment for his driving transgression.

So what is your point.

boxcar
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe he was doing research, pertaining to his future votes.

He wasn't given any preferential treatment for his driving transgression.

So what is your point.

He probably doesn't have one. :D Welcome back, stranger!

Boxcar

horses4courses
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.kcra.com/politics/22775566/detail.html

Of course, the biggest disgrace about this Republican State Senator, Roy Ashburn, is that he is a total hypocrite for taking a political stand against gay rights.......

Just another suit in a powerful position playing the game.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
"I felt my duty -- and I still feel this way -- is to represent my constituents, not my own point of view, not my own internal conflict," he told Barks.

He said he planned to continue voting on behalf of what he sees as the majority viewpoint in his district, which includes parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino counties."

The above is a quote from the article. Voting to represent your constiuents' view is not hypocritcal. That is the job of a representative. A representative of the voters should not override his constiuents views with the representative's personal beliefs.

I'll give you he is deceitful as he deceived people to believe something to be true about his lifestyle that was not true.

Sadly, the deceitful aspect is all too common among politicians.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
He probably doesn't have one. :D Welcome back, stranger!

Boxcar

Thanks. Been posting in the darkside (racing forums). Apparently, I have been causing choas there. It seems there is a golden calf that you must worship or your a trouble maker. Guess which category I fell into?

horses4courses
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
"I felt my duty -- and I still feel this way -- is to represent my constituents, not my own point of view, not my own internal conflict," he told Barks.

He said he planned to continue voting on behalf of what he sees as the majority viewpoint in his district, which includes parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino counties."

The above is a quote from the article. Voting to represent your constiuents' view is not hypocritcal. That is the job of a representative. A representative of the voters should not override his constiuents views with the representative's personal beliefs.

I'll give you he is deceitful as he deceived people to believe something to be true about his lifestyle that was not true.

Sadly, the deceitful aspect is all too common among politicians.

Simply put, the man has ZERO integrity.

johnhannibalsmith
03-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Well, I guess that makes him a front-runner for presidency in the next cycle.

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 02:53 PM

We may agree on this, depending on why you think he has no integrity.

I will agree, regarding the issue of his deceitfulness about his lifestyle, he lacks integrity.

I give him points for integrity for voting according to his constiuents views and not according to his personal bias.

I have a feeling you feel the lack of integrity results from his choice to represent the views of his constituents.

This is where we would disagree.

Tom
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Eric Massa is going to be interviewed by Glenn Beck today and be on Larry King tonight. If you watch either of these shows regularly, consider yourself warned.

Should be good.......Beck, that is.

I can hear Larry now...."Eric Massa, resigned from office, the target of an ethics investigation, claims to be the victim of his own party's vengence.
Eric. What's your favorite color?"

horses4courses
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
We may agree on this, depending on why you think he has no integrity.

I will agree, regarding the issue of his deceitfulness about his lifestyle, he lacks integrity.

I give him points for integrity for voting according to his constiuents views and not according to his personal bias.

I have a feeling you feel the lack of integrity results from his choice to represent the views of his constituents.

This is where we would disagree.

I fully understand your point. Voting on issues in order to represent your constituents do not always reflect personal viewpoints.

However, the man would never have had the chance to represent that constituency in the first place, had his personal lifestyle choices been revealed. I feel certain that he would have liked things to have remained
"in the closet".

Show Me the Wire
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
I fully understand your point. Voting on issues in order to represent your constituents do not always reflect personal viewpoints.

However, the man would never have had the chance to represent that constituency in the first place, had his personal lifestyle choices been revealed. I feel certain that he would have liked things to have remained
"in the closet".

And that is why I said he was deceitful and lacked integrity in his lifestyle. It is shameful to use a spouse and children to deceive voters, into believing that you hold a specific belief, while you do not. Sadly, he is not the first politician and probably will not be the last one to use this specific ploy.

Also, you are probably correct the man would never have had the chance to represent his constituency if his deceitfulness was exposed prior to the election and he would have preferred the status quo.