PDA

View Full Version : Scalping

bigmack
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I always thought scalping was a viable business plan. If a person wanted 2 how tough is it to figure out 'gotta see' events and buy a few choice seats and sell them on Ebay or StubHub?

These cats went a little coocoo.

Four men accused of illegally acquiring more than 1.5 million high-demand concert and sporting-event tickets were indicted on fraud, conspiracy and computer-hacking charges, according to a federal indictment that was unsealed on Monday.

The men allegedly used a network of computers and automated software to make more than $25 million by purchasing and then re-selling the "most coveted tickets" to performances by several top artists including Bruce Springsteen, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, Bon Jovi, Barbara Streisand and Billy Joel. They also are accused of selling tickets to Broadway shows including "Wicked" and "The Producers," sporting events including the 2006 Rose Bowl, and tapings of the television show "Dancing with the Stars," according to the indictment.

"The public thought it had a fair shot at getting tickets to these events, but what the public didn't know was that the defendants had cheated them out of that opportunity," US Attorney Paul J. Fishman said in a statement.

The men are accused of hiring programmers in Bulgaria to create a nationwide network of computers that impersonated individual ticket buyers. The network of computers, dubbed Captcha Bots, automated and sped up the buying process by completing Captcha tests that are designed to keep automated bots from purchasing tickets.

Wiseguy Tickets allegedly was in operation between 2002 and 2009 and, at one time, was able to purchase and control nearly half of the general-admission floor tickets made available for a 2008 Springsteen show.
http://www.livedaily.com/news/four-men-charged-in-alleged-ticket-scam-21540.html

Steve 'StatMan'
03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Wiseguy Tickets allegedly was in operation between 2002 and 2009 and, at one time, was able to purchase and control nearly half of the general-admission floor tickets made available for a 2008 Springsteen show.

Geeze! Guess there as more than one 'Boss' for those shows!

bob77713
03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
We were just talking about this at work. I was telling them that I could get good seats in my younger days, but now it's hard to get them. I always thought it was the EBAY'ers though.