PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC - off the rails

ArlJim78
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Your typical unhinged MSNBC host. Is it a requirement to be an angry unstable person to land a gig there? It's appropriate that the story header reads "Anger In America" right under the host's face.

nObPplOGUdI

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Very classy. The good news for Mr. Ratigan is that he probably won't have to worry about people "offending" his show for much longer if that is typical of the way he conducts himself.

Valuist
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Ratigan had me fooled. When he hosted Fast Money, I didn't realize what a lunatic he was. But then again, he kept his political views out of the show. Looks like he's found a home where he'll fit right in.

BTW, when anyone joins a group or club, is their first question "do you advocate the killing of Jews or blacks? I guess in Ratigan's world, that should be one's first thought. Very strange.

Greyfox
03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately that kind of bully interviewer draws an audience like flies to jam.
Seems like there are more and more of those bully types around and they set a hell of a poor example to young people for intelligent discourse on important topics.
In a Ratings driven medium, he'll keep a job that he should be fired from.

Dave Schwartz
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
LOL - this idiot does not want guests' opinions. He wants to talk and needs a picture to talk to.

I loved the other guy's response. Just, "Uh-huh," and a continuing to make a bored face.

Ratigan just made a fool of himself. I would guess it is he who would draw the most wingnuts.

rastajenk
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
No shit. That was pretty out there. Normal people of all stripes can't find that very entertaining. The only ones that would be attracted to that kind of act are probably already scarily close to the lunatic fringes.

bigmack
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
This chump is as mentally unstable as the rest of the stable over there. Olbermann said last night (after backing off his monochromatic nonsense) because The Tea Party in Dallas didn't mention his father is ill, they shouldn't be considered 'people' :lol:

j8R8baHPr2E

Tom
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
MSNBC's viewers eat that stuff up.
Both of them.

jballscalls
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
yeah the guy is angry, makes Keith Olbermann almost look stable.

ArlJim78
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I love the ladies reaction in that second video. she says "well if you're going to answer your own questions you can be your own guest.":lol:

I have to say of all the kooks on TV this guy may take the cake.

NJ Stinks
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't say I watch Ratigan and after seeing those two clips I've seen enough.

One guy who I do watch sometimes on MSNBC is Chris Mathews on Hardball. Usually I'm interested in the subject and the guest but Matthews is another guy who just can't shut up. He'll ask a good question and the guest will get out two words before Chris cuts them off and makes a comment himself. Then he'll ask another question and interrupt again.

Honestly, I don't see how anybody could come back on his show unless they need the money. He cuts off guests constantly. It drives me nuts! :mad:

The thing is I want to like the guy. He's from the Philly area just like me and we agree on a lot of issues. But the sad truth is that the show should be called "Pardon the Interruption II". :rolleyes:

Leonard
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I wonder, if Dylan Ratigan were a poster here at PA, who would he be?

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree with you quite a bit on Matthews. He's a guy who I could probably watch on a regular basis because his brain does function, even if we disagree on quite a number of things. But yeah, for the same reason that O'Reilly annoys me and I can agree with him a little more than Matthews a lot of the time -- they just seem to have extreme difficulty listening.

They both think the entire viewership is hanging on their every word, when in fact, particularly in Bill's case -- his stance on everything is totally predictable, he's pretty cut and dry on most issues he covers -- I want to hear what the guest has to say too. With O'Reilly, it doesn't even come across as arrogance, which is why I sort of like him, he seems like a pontificating uncle Chet or something, but man, let that Dr. Marc LaMont Hill finish making his point!

cj's dad
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I wonder, if Dylan Ratigan were a poster here at PA, who would he be?

Well !! since you only have 71 posts and most have been on off topic !!

Hmmmmmmmm !!

care to 'fess up ??

JustRalph
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The word on da street is..........

As soon as Comcast takes over NBC.....later this year

They are going to fire the whole lot of them at both the Main Network and at MSNBC. So they are getting it in while they can. I heard on the radio the other day that Comcast is already out recruiting replacement execs for both networks. The word is that the only on air personality in danger immediately is Brian Williams ? Who came up with that thought, I don't know........but Comcast is said to be going to cut heads off immediately to cut costs. I don't know what Williams makes.........but I bet it is a pretty penny. That would explain that.

I also heard via a Fox Radio show, that Shepard Smith refuses to deny that he has been courted by Comcast to come over to the dark side...........???

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Wasn't it 46zilly who always claimed O'Reilly and all the other commentators on Fox News do nothing but shout down their guests and don't allow them to answer questions if they don't agree with them?

I guess they all took lessons from Dylan D. Bag over on MSNBC.

Something tells me even MSNBC regrets taking him from CNBC...:lol:

Let me guess...he has the lowest ratings of anyone on TV...

cj's dad
03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
The word on da street is..........

As soon as Comcast takes over NBC.....later this year

They are going to fire the whole lot of them at both the Main Network and at MSNBC. So they are getting it in while they can. I heard on the radio the other day that Comcast is already out recruiting replacement execs for both networks. The word is that the only on air personality in danger immediately is Brian Williams ? Who came up with that thought, I don't know........but Comcast is said to be going to cut heads off immediately to cut costs. I don't know what Williams makes.........but I bet it is a pretty penny. That would explain that.

I also heard via a Fox Radio show, that Shepard Smith refuses to deny that he has been courted by Comcast to come over to the dark side...........???

Is he finally coming out of the closet ?!?

Tom
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Hey Ralph.....

"Good evening. I'm Conan O'Brien and this is the Evening News."

Why not, he's already paid for and is definitely a step upward. :lol:

jognlope
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Dylan is the one who calls it right. Mike whoever always interrupts, asks 20 questions and doesn't allow them to answer. The contest is always "I can be as patient as the last victim" for those he interviewers. Rachel Maddow was funny last night, calling that senator a liar for saying that reconcilation would create great havoc. She was funny, she should do stand up.

johnhannibalsmith
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
... she should do stand up.

In front of a moving bus.

GaryG
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
In front of a moving bus.Thanks jhs....I needed that. When the grim reaper falls at MSNBC I can't see any of those nuts going to work for a real network.

rastajenk
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
It'll be back to local, hamster-powered off-campus FM stations for most of them.

Ejmenz
03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Truth is a hard thing to find in journalism these days.

Now that large corporations are able to own multiple types of media, the truth is no longer important, it's all about the ratings.

Squeaky wheel gets the ratings.

Those who yell the loudest, while directing the venom away from the corporations will outlast the rest.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United Corporations of America, for which they stand to make a profit and diminish the living conditions of it's pawns, sometimes referred to as people.

boxcar
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United Corporations of America, for which they stand to make a profit and diminish the living conditions of it's pawns, sometimes referred to as people.

Hmm....kinda like BO is doing in handling our recession, wouldn't you say? He has definitely diminished the living conditions of many by demolishing the private sector and not putting mega bucks back into the hands of us "pawns" because we're the ones who really create the supply and demand and, therefore, at the end of the day are in the best position to revive the economy.

Welcome to this forum. I can tell you're going to be a fun guy to get to know.

Boxcar

jognlope
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
johnhann, you just don't like women acting brassy.... of was it something she said.

johnhannibalsmith
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
johnhann, you just don't like women acting brassy.... of was it something she said.

I love women acting brassy for the most part... but every time I've made an effort to watch her, I just can't stomach it through more than a segment or two.

The last time I made the effort she was using the repeal of the ban on females in submarines to portray everyone that isn't hard-core left as being homophobic. Rather than offer a kudos for changing an outdated military code, she used it as a launching pad to knock a handful of legislators that she didn't like by correlating it to the fact that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" hadn't been repealed with such expediency.

I think that she's a pretty bright woman and I don't dislike her because we disagree - but she's always looking for a fight (at least when I see her on her show or as a guest in roundtable settings) even in the context of victory nad it negates any benefit that her intelligence could bring to persuade me to her ideology. She likes to disagree, which is fine, but seems utterly offended when others disagree with her - which I guess is why she is so brazen on her show when there is nobody around to debate her.

Short answer - SHE annoys me - not her politics so much and certainly not her gender - but the way she elects to use her mind and voice.

bigmack
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
If the imbalance of testosterone wasn't twice as that as estrogen for Maddows she might find herself a more pleasant person. As is, she spends 80% of her show trying to belittle those she disagrees with. Tough to get ratings out of the basement with a format like that.

NJ Stinks
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I think Maddow and the military are dead wrong about putting women in submarines.

I suppose that makes me less liberal.

So shoot me. (Shrug)

Tom
03-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Nothing like a can of women!

JustRalph
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Submarine duty is always long and hard

skate
03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Man, i can't believe that he's the very same guy from fast money.

skate
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM

How do you make such a jump. You conclude, as all prejudice people do, that it must be something you relate to, without giving thought.

First, what the hell was funny (as in funny) when she says "lier", what the...

Second, you figure, if someone does not melt in her foolish, dullability trash, you somehow think it's because of her brass-iere.

NJ Stinks
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Submarine duty is always long and hard

:lol: :lol:

Valuist
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Man, i can't believe that he's the very same guy from fast money.

Yeah he kept his opinions out, for the most part, until the Goldman fiasco about a year ago. Supposedly his contract was up but the timing of his exit made one suspect he was shown the door.

BlueShoe
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
I think Maddow and the military are dead wrong about putting women in submarines.
Have we had a thread on, or talked about, this issue? A search has not found anything. Very hot topic on many other forums, most opinion is against doing this.