PDA

View Full Version : I finally agree with Barry; It is pissing some off

JustRalph
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Check it out.........it is really pissing some off that Barry and I agree on something..........

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7820533

President Barack Obama says a Rhode Island school that recently fired its principal and all its teachers is an example of how there needs to be accountability.

He made the comments Monday in Washington at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. He called for "accountability" if a school continually fails its students without improvement. "If a school continues to fail its students year after year after year, if it doesn't show signs of improvement, then there's got to be a sense of accountability."

Obama said that's exactly what happened at Central Falls High School in Rhode Island. He called the school "chronically troubled" – pointing out that just 7 percent of 11th graders passed state math tests. "When a school board wasn't able to deliver change by other means, they voted to lay off faculty and staff. As my Education Secretary Arne Duncan says, our kids get only one chance at an education and we need to do it right."

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Someone really needs to log onto Democratic Underground and invite a few regulars to participate in this forum. Boxcar would fade into obscurity with the way a few of those folks can get themselves going into a whirlwind...

Tom is excessively polite to the President compared to many of his "supporters".

Tom
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Man, I am trying to do better. I've been busy at work, but I promise I will get on his case more. ;)

delayjf
03-02-2010, 08:46 PM
President Barack Obama says a Rhode Island school that recently fired its principal and all its teachers is an example of how there needs to be accountability.

I'd love to see the reaction if he came out to CA and made that statement. :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Seems like an larger problem is they can't fire the students.

Need people willing to teach, and students willing to learn, and a lot of trying and adjusting on both sides. Hard to get that from students sometimes, takes some great teachers, and parents for that to happen sometimes.

jballscalls
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
my first agreement with BO was back when he called Kanye west a jackass

JustRalph
03-02-2010, 11:44 PM
my first agreement with BO was back when he called Kanye west a jackass
:lol: :lol:

newtothegame
03-03-2010, 01:13 AM
But, I do need to add a disclaimer.....what next? When I saw this story originally some days ago, I thought "good...they need to ensure childrens educations". But my next thought was now that they have fired all the teachers, what are the kids doing? Are they bussing them into other schools? I would think that would cause its own set of problems. I guess timing wasnt the best in this situation. I don't know that during the middle of the school years was appropriate timing. I mean it isnt like this school just started failing. To have to make all of those adjustments during the middle of the year....well I would think that most of the rest of this year for those students will not be learning. Mostly adjusting to "new"!

JustRalph
03-03-2010, 03:05 AM
But, I do need to add a disclaimer.....what next? When I saw this story originally some days ago, I thought "good...they need to ensure childrens educations". But my next thought was now that they have fired all the teachers, what are the kids doing? Are they bussing them into other schools? I would think that would cause its own set of problems. I guess timing wasnt the best in this situation. I don't know that during the middle of the school years was appropriate timing. I mean it isnt like this school just started failing. To have to make all of those adjustments during the middle of the year....well I would think that most of the rest of this year for those students will not be learning. Mostly adjusting to "new"!

They are still working......they won't be renewed to come back next year

newtothegame
03-03-2010, 03:26 AM
They are still working......they won't be renewed to come back next year

Ahh ok...that makes a bit better sense....but in some aspects, thats worse....
These are teachers who "weren't making the grade", now they are informed they are all released....hmmm I would think the kids have an even lesser chance of learning anything this year.

boxcar
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Ahh ok...that makes a bit better sense....but in some aspects, thats worse....
These are teachers who "weren't making the grade", now they are informed they are all released....hmmm I would think the kids have an even lesser chance of learning anything this year.

BINGO! Methinks the educated pinheads on the school board just shot themselves in the foot by removing all incentives from these soon-to-be discharged teachers to actually perform any constructive work. All the book learning in the world, by itself, cannot produce wisdom, can it?

Boxcar

sandpit
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
BINGO! Methinks the educated pinheads on the school board just shot themselves in the foot by removing all incentives from these soon-to-be discharged teachers to actually perform any constructive work. All the book learning in the world, by itself, cannot produce wisdom, can it?

Boxcar

Well, if only 7% of the students were performing at grade level, it doesn't sound like the teachers could perform much worse. I guess the school board could find some subs for the rest of the year. No perfect solution at this point. They could have waited and fired them at the end of the year, but then they might not had enough time to find other school districts to hire them :D

boxcar
03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, if only 7% of the students were performing at grade level, it doesn't sound like the teachers could perform much worse. I guess the school board could find some subs for the rest of the year. No perfect solution at this point. They could have waited and fired them at the end of the year, but then they might not had enough time to find other school districts to hire them :D

Yes, it's much better to squander the taxpayers' money on unproductive teachers. :rolleyes: This is what I, generally, detest about governments the most: Since it's not THEIR money they are spending, they very often could care less how they spend it, i.e. waste it.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
This reminds me of a sports team that fires all the coaches because it's easier than firing all the players.

Robert Goren
03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
This reminds me of a sports team that fires all the coaches because it's easier than firing all the players.Sometimes it works.;)