PDA

View Full Version : Why Obama hates insurance companies

ArlJim78
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Obama gave this little story at his health care summit last week, while it has not garnered much attention, it is stunning because it reveals how clueless the man is.

OBAMA: ... You know, when I was -- when I was young, just got out of college, I had to buy auto insurance. I had a beat-up old car. And I won't name the name of the insurance company, but there was a company, let's call it Acme Insurance in -- in Illinois. And I was paying my premiums every month. After about six months I got rear-ended, and I called up Acme and said, "You know, I'd like to see if I can get my car repaired." And they laughed at me over the phone.

Because really, this was set up not to actually provide insurance, what it was set up was to meet the legal requirements. But it really wasn't serious insurance.

Now, it's one thing if you got an old beat-up car that you can't get fixed. It's another thing if your kid is sick or you've got breast cancer.

Apparently, our boy genius president still doesn't know after all his years of experience, that people with clunkers purchase liability insurance only, not collision. I hate to break it to you Mr. President, but liability insurance IS serious insurance. If you wanted them to pay for any damage to your clunker, you should have bought a comprehensive plan. But with all people of your nature, it's always some injustice when things happen to you. Someone else is always to blame, and it's never the fault of your own laziness or ignorance.

Apparently he never got over the people laughing at him over the phone, and now wants to put them all out of business or at least limit their profitability, and all because he simply doesn't understand how auot insurance works.

Robert Goren
03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I do not know why Obama hates them, But I know why I (and a lot other people) hate them. I had to spend about month in the hospital 3 years ago and then had fight with them to pay anything even though it clearly state in policy that I was covered everything. I must have spent 30 hours on the phone. Heaven only knows how many hours my providers spent. Then to add insult to injure they went to employer and told them to fire me or they would drop them.

Tom
03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I wonder if the agent was related to the doctors who were lopping off feet to pad bills? :rolleyes:

The guy is a flat out filthy liar and you cannot believe a single word that comes out his mouth. He needs to demonize everyone.
Perhaps zilly can enlighten us as the medical name for the mental illness this LSOS has.

NJ Stinks
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
The guy is a flat out filthy liar and you cannot believe a single word that comes out his mouth. He needs to demonize everyone.
Perhaps zilly can enlighten us as the medical name for the mental illness this LSOS has.

I think it's called Common Sense but Zilly can correct me if I'm wrong. :p

46zilzal
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I continually laugh at the outright lies big pharma and the medical insurance combine keeps vomiting up for all to believe.

boxcar
03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Obama gave this little story at his health care summit last week, while it has not garnered much attention, it is stunning because it reveals how clueless the man is.

OBAMA: ... You know, when I was -- when I was young, just got out of college, I had to buy auto insurance. I had a beat-up old car. And I won't name the name of the insurance company, but there was a company, let's call it Acme Insurance in -- in Illinois. And I was paying my premiums every month. After about six months I got rear-ended, and I called up Acme and said, "You know, I'd like to see if I can get my car repaired." And they laughed at me over the phone.

Because really, this was set up not to actually provide insurance, what it was set up was to meet the legal requirements. But it really wasn't serious insurance.

Now, it's one thing if you got an old beat-up car that you can't get fixed. It's another thing if your kid is sick or you've got breast cancer.

Apparently, our boy genius president still doesn't know after all his years of experience, that people with clunkers purchase liability insurance only, not collision. I hate to break it to you Mr. President, but liability insurance IS serious insurance. If you wanted them to pay for any damage to your clunker, you should have bought a comprehensive plan. But with all people of your nature, it's always some injustice when things happen to you. Someone else is always to blame, and it's never the fault of your own laziness or ignorance.

Apparently he never got over the people laughing at him over the phone, and now wants to put them all out of business or at least limit their profitability, and all because he simply doesn't understand how auot insurance works.

In fact, I got you one better. A lot of people, if their cars are paid for in full, will drop their collision after the car is three years old! The vast majority, with any COMMON SENSE will drop it no later than after 5 years. Why? There's NO VALUE in paying for that kind of coverage!

And NJ thinks BO has common sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boxcar
P.S. On the other hand, maybe BO still owed on that old beater of his. :lol:

NJ Stinks
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
In fact, I got you one better. A lot of people, if their cars are paid for in full, will drop their collision after the car is three years old! The vast majority, with any COMMON SENSE will drop it no later than after 5 years. Why? There's NO VALUE in paying for that kind of coverage!

And NJ thinks BO has common sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boxcar
P.S. On the other hand, maybe BO still owed on that old beater of his. :lol:

Maybe we can get to the bottom of this by seeing Barack's old insurance policy. No doubt he's hiding something! :lol:

Robert Goren
03-01-2010, 01:27 PM
They should have told him to get a hold of the other car's insurance company. If you are rear ended it is almost ways the rear-ending car's fault. They were following to close. For those who don't know, The insurance is on the car and the legal responsibility for monitary damage and injury is on (in most cases) the car's owner, not the driver. Uninsured driver covers only injuries not damage to the car. A lot of people don't know this and insurance agents do a poor job of explaining it when you are buying it.

Tom
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I continually laugh at the outright lies big pharma and the medical insurance combine keeps vomiting up for all to believe.

What does that have to do with this thread?

boxcar
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Maybe we can get to the bottom of this by seeing Barack's old insurance policy. No doubt he's hiding something! :lol:

Yeah...like the truth of the matter, for example? :rolleyes:

And by the way, one is led to wonder if someone rear-ended him, how come he didn't seek restitution from that guy's insurance company? Oh...wait...was the perp uninsured? Ahh...and this brings me to my next point.

Uninsured Motorist coverage is quite pricey for obvious reason: People who buy such coverage are actually buying two policies in a sense. They're paying for their own liability risks and they're paying for some other guy's because he doesn't have insurance. Now...usually most uninsured motorists don't bother complying with their state laws because they can't afford insurance. But is it fair that I have to pay for them, too!? Car insurance rates are also skyrocketing, especially in today's economy when more and more people can't afford to pay for coverage. Insurance pools have become smaller which means they have to assume more risks. Should we not, therefore, nationalize car insurance? Should not the government take over the car insurance industry, too? Wouldn't my cost for car insurance drop if everyone was taxed and paid THEIR fair share. So what a lot of people don't drive? A lot of people don't want health coverage either, but the government would easily force (i.e. coerce) them under the force of law to buy it. Therefore, I don't see why the federal government just doesn't seize control of the car insurance industry, too.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah...like the truth of the matter, for example? :rolleyes:

And by the way, one is led to wonder if someone rear-ended him, how come he didn't seek restitution from that guy's insurance company? Oh...wait...was the perp uninsured? Ahh...and this brings me to my next point.

Uninsured Motorist coverage is quite pricey for obvious reason: People who buy such coverage are actually buying two policies in a sense. They're paying for their own liability risks and they're paying for some other guy's because he doesn't have insurance. Now...usually most uninsured motorists don't bother complying with their state laws because they can't afford insurance. But is it fair that I have to pay for them, too!? Car insurance rates are also skyrocketing, especially in today's economy when more and more people can't afford to pay for coverage. Insurance pools have become smaller which means they have to assume more risks. Should we not, therefore, nationalize car insurance? Should not the government take over the car insurance industry, too? Wouldn't my cost for car insurance drop if everyone was taxed and paid THEIR fair share. So what a lot of people don't drive? A lot of people don't want health coverage either, but the government would easily force (i.e. coerce) them under the force of law to buy it. Therefore, I don't see why the federal government just doesn't seize control of the car insurance industry, too.

Boxcar

In the last 3 years my auto insurance went up $30 in total. My health insurance went up almost $600 from 2009 to 2010 alone and $1,100 in the last three years.

Your idea of skyrocketing and my idea of skyrocketing are obviously quite different. :)

rastajenk
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I watched only about 15 minutes of the 'summit,' and I caught this part of it. I couldn't help wondering, "What is he going on about? Is there a point in here somewhere?" Infinite wisdom and superior communication skills, and this is what we get? It was embarrassing.

At least he didn't say, "When I was young and poor, I thought compulsory auto insurance was stupid, so I said F*** that and didn't get any," which is what I would have had to say if I was in his position; but I wouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

boxcar
03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
In the last 3 years my auto insurance went up $30 in total. My health insurance went up almost $600 from 2009 to 2010 alone and $1,100 in the last three years.

Your idea of skyrocketing and my idea of skyrocketing are obviously quite different. :)

Everything is relative. It depends on where you live. My insurance this year went up nearly $150.

Boxcar
P.S. And neither my wife or I have had in accident or been ticketed in many moons.

Boxcar

Robert Goren
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Collision and Comprehensive are not the same thing. A comprehensive plan would not have covered the car being rear ended. You as usual in an attempt to take a shot Obama showed your ignorance.

budman
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Wonder how many illegals with no insurance, auto or health, each of us are supporting?

Budman

ArlJim78
03-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Collision and Comprehensive are not the same thing. A comprehensive plan would not have covered the car being rear ended. You as usual in an attempt to take a shot Obama showed your ignorance.
so you're fine with the president being an ignoramous, but you scour my every post with a fine tooth comb to look for any inconsistencies.

Its clear from what I posted that I meant collision, and it's clear from the president's words he doesn't know the difference.

Robert Goren
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
so you're fine with the president being an ignoramous, but you scour my every post with a fine tooth comb to look for any inconsistencies.

Its clear from what I posted that I meant collision, and it's clear from the president's words he doesn't know the difference.It is clear that you know even less about auto insurance than Obama and it is clear he doesn't know much about it. Maybe if you scoured your own posts for inconsistencies before you hit the submit button, I wouldn't get to post so often.

wisconsin
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM

You are really splitting hairs here. I don't know anyone who has comprehensive that does not have collision as well. They go hand in hand, and I knew what he meant, and I think you did, too.

boxcar
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
It is clear that you know even less about auto insurance than Obama and it is clear he doesn't know much about it. Maybe if you scoured your own posts for inconsistencies before you hit the submit button, I wouldn't get to post so often.

Why can't we just all get along, hold hands, sing Kumbayah and live happily ever after? :D

Boxcar

Greyfox
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Why does Obama hate insurance companies??
On the campaign trail last year Obama talked about how his mother had trouble getting insurance. As reported by Time Magazine he said:

"Obama began his response with a simple declarative sentence: "I believe that health care is a right for every American." The rest of his answer could be used as a template for how to deal with a complex issue in a town-hall debate. He began with a personal story: his mother, dying of cancer at age 53, having to fight her insurance company, trying to prove that her disease had not been a pre-existing condition. He broadened that into a general proposition about the proper role of government: "It is absolutely true that I think it is important for government to crack down on insurance companies that are cheating their customers."
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1848518,00.html

Robert Goren
03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
You are really splitting hairs here. I don't know anyone who has comprehensive that does not have collision as well. They go hand in hand, and I knew what he meant, and I think you did, too.My late mother use to carry comprehension auto insurance, but not collision. It is really cheap and if you park your car outside and live in an apartment complex, it is probably worth it. I will give this, not many people carry it without carrying collision.

Pace Cap'n
03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
My late mother use to carry comprehension auto insurance, but not collision. It is really cheap and if you park your car outside and live in an apartment complex, it is probably worth it. I will give this, not many people carry it without carrying collision.

Perhakps your posts should carry "comprehension" insurance.

Comprehensive auto insurance describes a policy that covers liability, colllision, theft or other catastrophic loss, and uninsured motorist. Other than liability, which they are required to offer by law, good luck getting any insurer allowing you to pick and choose your coverage options.

Robert Goren
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Perhakps your posts should carry "comprehension" insurance.

Comprehensive auto insurance describes a policy that covers liability, colllision, theft or other catastrophic loss, and uninsured motorist. Other than liability, which they are required to offer by law, good luck getting any insurer allowing you to pick and choose your coverage options. You just plain wrong. You can get comprehensive from any auto insurer.
Comprehensive coverage is also sometimes referred to as “Other Than Collision” or OTC. Comprehensive covers your vehicle in the event of fire, theft, vandalism, hail storm damage or any natural causes minus the deductible you agreed upon when purchasing your insurance. It is also what you would place a claim through for glass breakage or if you run into an animal such as a deer on the roadway.

Collision coverage would cover most other physical damage to your vehicle. Collision covers damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or other object. Pays to fix your vehicle less the deductible you choose. To keep your premiums low, select as large a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket. For older cars, consider dropping this coverage, since coverage is normally limited to the cash value of your car.
http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/content27.aspx

Greyfox
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Enough already. The thread is supposed to be about Obama more than it is about purchasing insurance. :sleeping:

boxcar
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
You just plain wrong. You can get comprehensive from any auto insurer.
Comprehensive coverage is also sometimes referred to as “Other Than Collision” or OTC. Comprehensive covers your vehicle in the event of fire, theft, vandalism, hail storm damage or any natural causes minus the deductible you agreed upon when purchasing your insurance. It is also what you would place a claim through for glass breakage or if you run into an animal such as a deer on the roadway.

How 'bout love bug splats on the car, especially the windshield? After driving through Florida, sometimes I think my car needs a makeover. :faint:

Boxcar

jballscalls
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Enough already. The thread is supposed to be about Obama more than it is about purchasing insurance. :sleeping:

threads have a mind of their own. Plus there are more than enough threads about Obama on here, we need to change it up a bit!

Greyfox
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
threads have a mind of their own. Plus there are more than enough threads about Obama on here, we need to change it up a bit!

Agreed. I'm running out the door to buy thread hijack insurance. :cool:

jballscalls
03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Agreed. I'm running out the door to buy thread hijack insurance. :cool:

Actually that is included in the new Obama/Pelosi single payer plan!! They want to be covered so they can hijack threads Boxcar starts to trash them! Plus i think they extended the patriot act, so they are watching Boxy, too bad they wont listen to him

boxcar
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Actually that is included in the new Obama/Pelosi single payer plan!! They want to be covered so they can hijack threads Boxcar starts to trash them! Plus i think they extended the patriot act, so they are watching Boxy, too bad they wont listen to him

Good. A lot of people are watching me. They'll have to get in in line, though, if they want a shot at a piece of me. :D

Boxcar

Tom
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Good. A lot of people are watching me. They'll have to get in in line, though, if they want a shot at a piece of me. :D

Boxcar

Obama sees you, Boxcar.......

boxcar
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Among other things, he's a one-eyed jack, too? :eek: :eek:

Boxcar

letswastemoney
03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Wonder how many illegals with no insurance, auto or health, each of us are supporting?

Budman
I am for universal health care.

But I believe all illegals should be kicked out. They don't deserve the same benefits of people who follow the rules.