PDA

View Full Version : Turf Paradise DQ in R9 26 Feb

Sly7449
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Greetings,

Looking at the results I see where the Horse that finished third was the Winner. The Horse that Finished First was DQ'd and off the board but the horse that finished 2nd was left as 2nd.

Was there a DQ also on the 2nd place horse causing the 3rd place finisher to be declared the Winner?

Thanks

Sly

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes - there was a DQ of both the original winner and runner-up. The winner was DQ's (to eighth, I believe) for interference inside the quarter-pole, moving the runner up to the win. The runner-up was then DQ'd for interference against the original third place finisher in the vicinity of the sixteenth pole, elevating the original third place finisher to the win, the original runner-up who had been previously placed first, demoted to second.

Yes, it took the stews until dark to figure it out. :)

Sly7449
02-28-2010, 02:08 PM
JHS,

Thanks for the reply. I don't see this happening too often hence my questioning. Really, in my Program, it did not identify a Dq on the Runner-up but I assumed that may have been the case.

O.k. Twice in one week! Same thing at Pen Race 3 on 24 Feb. Again, here the Horse that finished 3rd was the Official Winner.

Looks like the Racing Officials are cracking down on the Jockies at some tracks.

Thanks

Sly

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah Sly - I noticed that EQU chart lines failed to note the DQ of the original runner-up, but it is mentioned in the actual comments at the close.

It was an odd DQ of the eventual winner - not a bad one per se, but odd. It was hard to tell on the monitor with certainty, but the eventual winner was lugging out in the turn and appeared to actually hit another horse (Tat Strider) from behind. As in, he was out of control under Vicki Baze and squarely plowed into the horse's hindquarters, causing the rider to completely wrap up on Tat Strider. I suspect that the decision to DQ the winner was based upon honest information from both riders at the scale after the race.

The orignal runner-up just lugged in badly late and made some contact with the original third place finisher - enough to cause that rider to momentarily cease persevering nearing the wire, potentially costing him a placing.

When I watched it the first time, I really didn't see much cause for either DQ. But after taking it apart piece by piece and watching it several times from both angles, I did a complete 180 and thought it was a good decision on both incidents.