3:15 PM EST -- SUNDAY

WHO WINS THIS GAME?

http://www.puckdrawn.com/.a/6a01157061294d970b011572413e24970b-800wi

Greyfox
02-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Canada 5 USA 3

miesque
02-28-2010, 10:40 AM
US wins in an extremely contentious and physical game, 5-4.

CryingForTheHorses
02-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Canada 2 USA 0

ENOTE96
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
USA4 51ST STATE 2

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Canada wins 1-0 in the eighteenth round of a shootout on a goal scored by Martin Brodeur.

Robert Goren
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Just like in the first race at Aqu, I haven't a clue. I did enjoy seeing the old bald headed guy win the gold in curling. Congrats to all Canadians out there.;)

Bobzilla
02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be rooting hard for my compatriots in the red, white and blue. But I have a feeling this is going to be a tough one and I predict Canada will win 3-2. Here's hoping more of the game will be played on the Canadian side of the ice than was played there the last time these two teams met. Should be a good one.

woodtoo
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Canada 6 USA 5 overtime...Getslaf scores winner :eek:

headhawg
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
The Canucks should win this one (they have a ton of talent on their squad) but I mentioned in another thread I think this game will come down to goaltending and the intense pressure for the home country team to win. If Miller can stand on his head as he has been doing the U.S will win. (He already showed that he could do that against Canada.) There's even more pressure on Team Canada now and I think that they make more mistakes than they should and the U.S will take advantage.

U.S.A 4, Canada 3

Moyers Pond
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I will root for the USA, but I see a 2-1 Canada win with the US goalie being the only reason the game is close.

Rookies
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Canada 6-3 :cool:

At 3p.m., you could shoot a cannon off on ANY main street of any Canadian city and not hit anyone. The entire country has shut down for this one.

My daughter, who is in Van, was at the bar @ 9 Pacific Time to ensure a seat! ;)

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Nine goals in a game with Miller and Brodeur starting?... I'll have to tip my hat dramatically in your direction if these two teams put more than five or six goals on the board.

headhawg
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Six goals against Miller? How many six-packs have you had already?

Rookies
02-28-2010, 02:19 PM
A couple- more to come !!!:D

DeanT
02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
2-0 Canada. One goal on an empty net.

I bet the under, so chances are it will be 7-6 or maybe 8-7.

Rookies
02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Scalper's HEAVEN !

CTV reports people TURNING DOWN $2k per ticket ! Lower Bowl = $5k if you want one!!!

Rookies
02-28-2010, 03:40 PM
On the board- 12 minutes in ! :)

Rookies
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
2-0 with 8 to go in the 2nd.

miesque
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Goal!!!!!!!!!!!! Team USA finally breaks through to score!

2-1

Rookies
02-28-2010, 04:40 PM
End of 2... 2-1 Canada

headhawg
02-28-2010, 04:49 PM
A really entertaining game so far. Too many turnovers by the U.S. (and bad ones at that). Luongo is really, really shaky. As Eddie O would say "Get the puck to the net!"

Rookies
02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Canada clangs 2 off the post in the first 2 minutes... neither go in...:rolleyes:

Rookies
02-28-2010, 05:23 PM
2:09 TO GO

1:17 TO GO... Miller out... U.S. Time Out

miesque
02-28-2010, 05:26 PM
The US turnovers are just ridiculous

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

miesque
02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Holy Shit! US finally pulled off a score to tie with under 25 sec

headhawg
02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
YES!!! YES!! YES!!!!

DeanT
02-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Quiet down you homers :D

Horseplayersbet.com
02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Canada let them score to get CTV better ratings.

Rookies
02-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Canada let them score to get CTV better ratings.:lol:

Couldn't be bigger. I'm betting close to, if not the largest audiences in Canada- EVER.

Tom
02-28-2010, 05:38 PM
2:09 TO GO

1:17 TO GO... Miller out... U.S. Time Out

2-2

MILLER TIME!

Horseplayersbet.com
02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Never in doubt!!!!!!

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Deserved win by Canada.

Rookies
02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
MILLER TIME!

Indeed it was Tom...

3-2 GOLD MEDAL WINNER TEAM CANADA !:) :ThmbUp: :cool:

Funny, I was just going to say how Crosby had fought the puck about the past 5x he had chance back to the mid 3rd. Period !

FABULOUS GAME FROM BOTH TEAMS... :ThmbUp:

Tom
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Congratulations CANADA!

Pace Cap'n
02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Canada let them score to get CTV better ratings.

Was just thinking that hockey might be up there with football or at least basketball if HDTV had existed forty years ago.

RXB
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Great game; very well played by both sides. Canada looked stronger in overtime; Americans seems a bit tired, couldn't generate any pressure.

14 gold medals in total = all-time Winter Games record!

miesque
02-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Well that was one hell of a game and what a great run it was. Congrats to our neighbors to the North, they did play the better game today.

And how can you not also give serious props to Miller, a most deserved MVP winner :ThmbUp:

headhawg
02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Great game. Congrats to Team Canada. Kind of a strange ending. Sid the Kid really hasn't shown much in the tourney and he gets the game winner. He beats Rafalski who had a great tourney and Miller -- tourney MVP -- couldn't make the save. It doesn't really mean anything; it's just an observation.

I understand baseball, football, and basketball waaaay better than I understand ice hockey, but how can anyone not enjoy this sport, especially after seeing a game like that? :ThmbUp:

Rookies
02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Just had a shot of the troops cheering in Kandahar and this nice story in the Toronto Star today...

VANCOUVER–War is commonly used as a metaphor for sports. They're not the same thing at all.

Brian Burke has reminded his Team USA players of this, even as he's yoked the squad spiritually, emotively, to the valour and sacrifice of America's resonant military ethos.

Like Canada, the U.S. is a country at real war, in Afghanistan and Iraq. At orientation camp for the prospective Yankee Olympic squad, Burke invited a Vietnam vet – the most highly decorated SEAL – to speak with his players.

For the Olympics, in a touching gesture, every American player has been "adopted" by a wounded soldier, several of whom will be present for Sunday's gold-medal final closing out the 2010 Vancouver Games.

See: http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/articlePrint/772774

Rookies
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Great game. Congrats to Team Canada. Kind of a strange ending. Sid the Kid really hasn't shown much in the tourney and he gets the game winner. He beats Rafalski who had a great tourney and Miller -- tourney MVP -- couldn't make the save. It doesn't really mean anything; it's just an observation.

I understand baseball, football, and basketball waaaay better than I understand ice hockey, but how can anyone not enjoy this sport, especially after seeing a game like that? :ThmbUp:

100% agree HH.

EASILY, Miller & Rafalski were the 1-2 stars for the Americans.

And indeed, what's the deal about support in the U.S. after seeing one of these classics ? And Hockey Players don't take half a season off (like MLB players), when they get a little boo-boo. It is a violent game played at super speed in a confined space and NHL Players suck it up and play on in the Stanley Cup with broken legs... MORE THAN ONCE.

miesque
02-28-2010, 06:25 PM
100% agree HH.

EASILY, Miller & Rafalski were the 1-2 stars for the Americans.

And indeed, what's the deal about support in the U.S. after seeing one of these classics ? And Hockey Players don't take half a season off (like MLB players), when they get a little boo-boo. It is a violent game played at super speed in a confined space and NHL Players suck it up and play on in the Stanley Cup with broken legs... MORE THAN ONCE.

And that is why I love hockey so much, its a fast and brutal game which requires a tremendous tenacity and fortitude as well as talent and athleticism.

CryingForTheHorses
02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
What a great game considering LOU was fighting the puck and had the jitters.Thank God for Crosby...Great game by the USA but maybe next time

Jay Trotter
02-28-2010, 06:44 PM
RELIEF! :jump:

I have to give full props to the USA team!

I heard Mike Milbury say on NBC "only 3 American players would likely have made the Canadian roster"! On paper that is fairly accurate but on the ice the young American squad was full marks and equal to the task!

Great way to finish the Olympic Games -- CANADA and USA!

:ThmbUp:

Tom
02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice post, rookies, about your troops.
Valor knows no boarders....we salute them as well!
Must be a nice present for them today.

Greyfox
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
A great game. Hockey at its best.

Let's not forget 46zil's comment that it wouldn't be much different than an NHL
All Star game. :lol: :lol:

Trotman
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
The best one was the reporter who said at the beginning of the games, the worst thing for world hockey would be another US Canadian final. WHAT THE HELL COUNTRY IS HE FROM. GREAT GREAT GAME from both sides :ThmbUp:

bisket
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
nice run by the us team. when it went to 4 on 4 you could see canada's superiority skill wise. usa was just as good as a "team" but the 4 on 4 is more of an individual type game. it put the us team behind the 8 ball, but they have much to be proud of. :ThmbUp:

DeanT
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey when I visited this thread after the game was done the poll was 17-11.

Who the hell voted for Canada after the game was over? :D

46zilzal
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM

it. n fact, was. It was interesting that all the drivers held up the start of one of the races to find out the end result

banacek
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Nice post, rookies, about your troops.
Valor knows no boarders....we salute them as well!
Must be a nice present for them today.

On Canadian TV, they showed a photo of some Canadian troops in Afghanistan holding up a sign that read:

"Canada and the US -Brothers in arms, not on the ice."

banacek
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM

More past-posting....time for HANA to get involved.

Rookies
02-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Tried to explain this very concept to Head Hog, when I posted way BEFORE the start...;)

boomman
02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I basically just watch hockey in the Olympics, but I must say that was an incredible game! Congratulations Canada on a hard fought victory, and let me say that I'm EXTREMELY proud of the gutty performance by my US Team as well. I jumped in the air when they tied the score with :24 seconds left, and that epitomized their effort in the winter games............:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

headhawg
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Tried to explain this very concept to Head Hog, when I posted way BEFORE the start...;)Yeah sorry. I was just a little slow. I forgot that there was a poll. :)

Greyfox
02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
In a previous post, I said:

46zilzal replied in Post # 51 above:

"it. n fact, was. It was interesting that all the drivers held up the start of one of the races to find out the end result":lol: :lol:

Will anyone somewhere tell me what plant or what Planet that this articulate poster intended that reply for?

(Obviously a race was delayed somewhere while drivers awaited the result.
But no rescinding of his earlier comment and little comment on the game itself.)

DeanT
02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Grey,

Both sides were just faking all that trying and stuff. ;)

"I've never experienced a swing of emotions like that. "

Kesler felt he might need a couple of weeks to absorb the loss, even though he has an NHL game to play Tuesday in Columbus. One of the better American forwards throughout the tournament, Kesler was devastated by the loss.

“I thought we deserved better,” he said almost in a whisper. “We proved that it's not just Canada's game. We beat them once already and took them to overtime. Obviously I'm born American and I'm proud of my country and to come up short, it hurts.

Oh, and what would an Olympics be without a dumb question for the losing goalie? Ryan Miller was asked what it felt like when the winning goal went in.

“You just feel like s***,” he grunted.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Olympic+gold+hockey+loss+devastates+players/2625486/story.html

DeanT
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
On Canadian TV, they showed a photo of some Canadian troops in Afghanistan holding up a sign that read:

"Canada and the US -Brothers in arms, not on the ice."

I missed that, but I see the picture here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/on-the-front-lines-in-kandahar-the-crowd-went-wild/article1484703/

I dig the American marine that went across the base to watch with the Canadians. That's pretty cool.

At another Canadian recreation centre nearby, where the game was also being shown, U.S. Marine Rene Garcia sat in the corner - he'd come there with two friends to take in the game, leaving the safety and taunt-free American section of the military base.

"We came to party in your house... It's good to watch with a little bit of a rivalry," said Chief Warrant Officer Garcia, who plays in the on-base ball hockey league.

johnhannibalsmith
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM
... I jumped in the air when they tied the score with :24 seconds left...

I sure hope you have high ceilings and reinforced floors. :D

NJ Stinks
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
2-0 Canada. One goal on an empty net.

I bet the under, so chances are it will be 7-6 or maybe 8-7.

Assuming you got the 5.5 total goal line I saw, congratulations! :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Indeed it was Tom...

3-2 GOLD MEDAL WINNER TEAM CANADA !:) :ThmbUp: :cool:

Funny, I was just going to say how Crosby had fought the puck about the past 5x he had chance back to the mid 3rd. Period !

FABULOUS GAME FROM BOTH TEAMS... :ThmbUp:

I'm happy for you and your fellow countrymen, Rookies. :ThmbUp:

Sort of restores the natural order of things. :cool:

turfnsport
03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
It was a great tourney...Hopefully it made some new hockey fans.

No sport has the intensity of a good hockey game.

NHL revs back up Monday night!

SMOO
03-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Quick question: has any other coach ever won a gold medal & a stanley cup than Babcock of the Canada/Wings?

boomman
03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I sure hope you have high ceilings and reinforced floors. :D

Remarkably, everything is still intact (at least for the time being):D

46zilzal
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
CTV commentators kept referring to things akin to ..."well these fellows are the first line from the San Jose Sharks so they have a leg up on knowing one another."

DeanT
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Quick question: has any other coach ever won a gold medal & a stanley cup than Babcock of the Canada/Wings?
I dont think so. Pat Quinn coached to gold in '02 and he never won one.

Thanks NJ!

Greyfox
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Canada's assistant coach Ken Hitchcock.

banacek
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Canada's assistant coach Ken Hitchcock.

If we are talking assistant coaches, then Jacques Lemaire, too...not to mention a bunch as a player.

SMOO
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I dont think so. Pat Quinn coached to gold in '02 and he never won one.

Thanks NJ!

Yeah, Herb Brooks did not win a cup either as a head coach, thanks!

Kimsus
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, Herb Brooks did not win a cup either as a head coach, thanks!

I've actually met Herb on more than one occasion, we were on first name basis. I was greatly saddened when he passed away much too early. For those that only remember him from the 80 games and from the NHL, will be surprised he was one of the funniest and nicest guys you will ever meet. He always had a way of brightening up a room. He was a great guy.

SMOO
03-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I've actually met Herb on more than one occasion, we were on first name basis. I was greatly saddened when he passed away much too early. For those that only remember him from the 80 games and from the NHL, will be surprised he was one of the funniest and nicest guys you will ever meet. He always had a way of brightening up a room. He was a great guy.

I assume you saw the "Miracle" movie, it must be weird to see an actor like Kurt Russell playing someone that you knew yourself.

PhantomOnTour
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Will this help the NHL? What if the USA had won gold? The NHL seems buried under a lousy TV deal, but I was hoping something like this could jumpstart hockey (we wish for this ALLLLLLLLLLL the time with horseracing) and put it back in the 'big 4 ' sports. I've got a crazy idea:

The NHL should split into two leagues (like baseball). One with teams only in Canada and the other with teams in the USA. They will meet in the 'world series' after winning their league or conference. Interleague play will be in effect, but not with the frequency that you play vs your own league.

Bring teams back to Quebec and Winnipeg. That makes 8 teams in Canada (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Quebec). Eliminate franchises in places like Florida, Arizona and Nashville (dont they have a team?) Maybe grant 2 more Canadian cities a franchise to get 10 teams up there. (Regina? Saskatoon?...heck I dunno).

Good idea? lousy idea?

Kimsus
03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I assume you saw the "Miracle" movie, it must be weird to see an actor like Kurt Russell playing someone that you knew yourself.

I'm sure Brooksie would have had a laugh over that one, I once remarked to him that Karl Malden in the original movie was a strange choice because his nose didn't measure up to Karl's...Being Brooksie he had a great laugh out of that one.

Greyfox
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Good idea? lousy idea?

Gary Bettman isn't interested in good ideas. Jim Basille of Black Berry fame wanted to move the Phoenix franchise.
Bettman and the "owners" put him on a black ball list. These guys use certain money pits for tax purposes. The league is as much about power and prestige as it is about fan support.

Jay Trotter
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree in spirit with The Phantom....but I would go a step further:

Move four team back to Canada - Winnipeg, Quebec City, Toronto/Hamilton and London/Kitchner.

Set up an NHL Europe with limited inter-league play (maybe two cross-Atlantic road trips per season).

Whatever the configuration of franchises keep the total number of teams at the present number of 30.

Hockey in its current state is ripe to become truly international as a professional entity and the longer the NHL waits the more likely Europe will create the next WHL.

Just a few thoughts from the frozen tundra!

Trotter:ThmbUp:

appistappis
03-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I've already got the perfect trivia question to ask about this game in a couple of years, name the last three canadians to touch the puck.