PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for you old timers about Affirmed

toussaud
02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Not about the horse himself but rather his owner.

From what i know, his owner did fed time before affirmed came along. I look at affirmed's owner alot like I look at Zayat, I think they have some very similar characteristics.

Was there a lot of outcry about his owner being a bad person for the sport back then? Was he a well liked person?

I could only imagine the outcry if Zayat happened to win the triple crown. Not that I have anything against him but you know how fans can be.

It's like we have to do screenings on who we allow to own a triple crown horse.

sonnyp
02-27-2010, 11:01 PM
george steinbrenner of the yankees and tampa downs is a convicted felon. it's all a bunch of b--lshit to dredge this stuff up when it's convenient.

this nonsense should stop.

the little guy
02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
This is some fishing expedition.

I always enjoyed spending time with Mr. Wolfson.

toussaud
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
not really.. dude i'm 26. I dont' KNOW. it's not a fishing expedition.. that's why I ASKED and didn't make an acquisition.

wow, you ahve people interested enough to ask questions about something, people wanting to learn things about the past, and they blasted for going on fishing expeditions when they don't even know what they are fishing for.

All I'm trying to basically figure out is how was the man viewed. I would imagine a triple crown winning owner with past high profile conditions as his were, could cause some type if rift, but i'm not sure, so that's why I asked.

my gosh

sonnyp
02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
i would bet my bottom dollar, that every person you know, including yourself, has at one time comited a "felony". given the right circumstances, you'd be a "convicted" felon.

stop.

toussaud
02-27-2010, 11:24 PM
i would bet my bottom dollar, that every person you know, including yourself, has at one time comited a "felony". given the right circumstances, you'd be a "convicted" felon.

stop.
I personally have been indicted in a 58 count indictment by the feds which was dropped 2 years later because of lack of evidence.. I here probably more than anyone on this forum knows what it feels like to be wrongly accused of crap you didn't' do. Having your own damn family treat you like a convinced felon when you didn't do anything, not wanting to watch the news because you know you are being talked about because you are ovbiously guilty, when you didn't' do anything. And I still don't see the problem with the question.

I am not asking is the man a bad man or not. It's not like I asked "did he do it". I simply asked what was it liked going though the triple crown trail. If that is to emotional for you to answer than wow.

sonnyp
02-27-2010, 11:36 PM
its good that you know how the system works. once some prosecuitor, regardless of the validity of the charges, brings the indictment, it's a lose, lose situation for most thus all the plea bargains.

the government has unlimited time and resources that most individuals can not compete with. there are thousands of convicted felons who would not be saddled with that nonsense had the playing field been truely level.

my compliments to you for admitting you/ve been exposed to the "justice" system.

Spalding No!
02-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I look at affirmed's owner alot like I look at Zayat, I think they have some very similar characteristics.

Can you elaborate on this?

toussaud
02-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I look at affirmed's owner alot like I look at Zayat, I think they have some very similar characteristics.

Can you elaborate on this?http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/sports/27zayat.html?emc=eta1

both have law or legality issues while both are playing at the highest level of our sport.

most importantly, both have dirt, i.e articles like this that can be brought to light whenever they do something. you can probably even throw Ivorone in the same mix to a lesser extent.

all we heard about in BB's tc run was how mike swindled this and how Michael owed these people money. He's not very well liked I don't think.

I'm too young.. hell I wasn't born, when Affirmed won the TC. So I guess what I am asking is, did the media treat him any differently, did they have more respect for him then than we have for our owners today? I don't even think alot of the stuff that gets written about is particularly fair espically in the case of people not being convicted of anything. Where there people going aorund saying it was bad for our sport if he won the triple crown like there were people saying for IEAH if BB had won it.

Robert Goren
02-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Louis Wolfson certainly had a checkered life. However there has never been problems that I ever heard about concerning horse operations. There are rumors that a movie is going to made about his life.

Buckeye
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM

stop.

Ok, I'm guilty but they never got me. And they won't. Good point insofar as most if not all are guilty of something. They got Al Capone right? Tax evasion. Like that's ALL he did.

The Justice System in our Country is the worst in the world, except for all the others.

toussaud
02-27-2010, 11:56 PM
its good that you know how the system works. once some prosecuitor, regardless of the validity of the charges, brings the indictment, it's a lose, lose situation for most thus all the plea bargains.

the government has unlimited time and resources that most individuals can not compete with. there are thousands of convicted felons who would not be saddled with that nonsense had the playing field been truely level.

my compliments to you for admitting you/ve been exposed to the "justice" system.
man you have no idea. It wasn't rather I was guilty or not, it was what deal I could get, what fed camp I could go to, what can I do to get the best sentence possible.. and yes you don't play with the feds. The day I got indicted, literary out of the blue, was probably the worst day of my life compiled by the fact that no one wanted to hear I didn't do anything.

The day my lawyer called me and told me they dropped charges (my birthday actually) I cried and I have never been that happy in my life. yes I would never go around accusing people of things they have not been convited for and even if they are convited I becuase of y history look at everything in a different light then I did 5-6 years ago.

the little guy
02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Who would have believed this thread could get worse.

Igeteven
02-28-2010, 12:21 AM

stop.

only our congress and all the politicians in the world are pure, the rest of us our all felons, convected or not.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Now I'm a believer.

Grits
02-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Guys, I gotta go to sleep on these last few. If I can! I coulda gone forever not learning about poster's indictments. It's late, and now I'm worried I've been here online talking to Chester The Molester.

:lol: DAMN!:lol:

nijinski
02-28-2010, 01:06 AM
It's an interesting topic , I've thought of Wolfson when IEAH was getting slammed.
I think I read about him a while ago in SI Vault online,you might find something there .

It's a topic of interest Toussaud , IMO.

BTW , he is and will always be known as the owner of Affirmed , but he also
owned one of my favorite fillys "It's In The Air".

Fred
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Try this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wolfson#Harbor_View_Farm

nijinski
02-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Try this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wolfson#Harbor_View_Farm
He really handed it to Larry King.

Ejmenz
02-28-2010, 02:08 PM
To answer your original question, or one of them.

I never knew, until your post that Affirmed's owner was in trouble, it was a long time ago and it's a vague thing that may have come up after Affirmed was off the scene, but if you had asked me before your post, I would not have remembered it at all.

Affirmed was the star, along with Alydar, Laz was great with a quote, and Cauthen was coming off the best apprenticeship ever, pretty cool story is how I remember it.