PDA

View Full Version : All Weather Track Strikes Again

Joey D
02-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Just heard -today's Santa Anita card cancelled..again.

BlueShoe
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
We must be getting used to this, and rather blase about the whole thing. Oh yes, as we all know, Aqueduct also canceled today. Two major tracks scrubbed on what is usually the busiest day of the week. Philly also a no go today. Just another day at the office. So, who do we lose tomorrow? The same three could be a good trifecta box.

hibiscus
02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
The tracks in the northeast were pelted with feet of snow so it’s hard to lay any blame there. But the all-weather track canceling again due to the weather is nothing short of an embarrassment. Blame the rocket scientists at CHRB for their brilliant mandate.

tzipi
02-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I can't blame the northeast tracks for cancelling with all the crazy snow.

Robert Goren
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I can't blame the northeast tracks for cancelling with all the crazy snow. But I can blame them for trying run in the winter.

46zilzal
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
When I was a junior at UCLA, I would work moving furniture on the weekends. We had so much rain for a six week stint in the late Winter that each weekend we were evacuating houses close to run off conduits for fear the banks would collapse. During those deluges how many days did Santa Anita
cancel? NONE

toetoe
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
[font=Calibri]The tracks in the northeast were pelted with feet of snow so it’s hard to lay any blame there.

Au contraire, mon frere. I blame global warming, acid rain, alkaline snow, hemispheric moistening and female frigidity.

Heeyah !!!

Moyers Pond
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
The tracks in the northeast were pelted with feet of snow so it’s hard to lay any blame there. But the all-weather track canceling again due to the weather is nothing short of an embarrassment. Blame the rocket scientists at CHRB for their brilliant mandate.

Yeah, the East Coast tracks get a pass because it snowed, but Santa Anita doesn't get a pass because they only got inches of rain. :lol:

Last time I checked when an area gets so much rain that they are dealing with mudslides, they would be closed with dirt or synthetic.

But, heh, why base your ridiculously biased comments on facts. And who really cares about the safety of the horses, it is more important you have something to make a ridiculous biased comment about.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/rains-pound-la-area-officials-on-alert-for-possible-mudslides.html

Tom
02-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Read 46's post.
How many decades has SA been racing on dirt - how many cancellations?

gm10
02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Wasn't Aqueduct canceled as well?

Vinnie
02-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Isn't Los Al still scheduled to run this evening? Don't they run on the dirt at Los Al? I am not exactly sure that is why I ask. Also, when Santa Anita has had various cancellations when is the last time that Los Alamitos was cancelled due to inclement weather, etc.?

cj
02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Wasn't Aqueduct canceled as well?

Yes, but big snowstorms will do that. They don't cancel in New York for rain, and they don't even have an alleged all weather track.

hibiscus
02-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, the East Coast tracks get a pass because it snowed, but Santa Anita doesn't get a pass because they only got inches of rain. :lol:

Last time I checked when an area gets so much rain that they are dealing with mudslides, they would be closed with dirt or synthetic.

But, heh, why base your ridiculously biased comments on facts. And who really cares about the safety of the horses, it is more important you have something to make a ridiculous biased comment about.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/rains-pound-la-area-officials-on-alert-for-possible-mudslides.html

Is the following fact part of my “ridiculous bias”?

In its first 74 years of racing on dirt, Santa Anita canceled four cards due to rain. In three years of synthetics, it has had to cancel racing 17 times.

You’ve had a hair up your ass about NYRA since you’ve joined the board. Your moronic threads and posts are evidence of that.

Substantiate your mischaracterization of my comment as being biased or please retract it.

BlueShoe
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Isn't Los Al still scheduled to run this evening? Don't they run on the dirt at Los Al?
Yes to both questions.

Vinnie
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks a bunch Blueshoe. I was pretty sure that they ran on the dirt over at Los Al. :)

Have an excellent weekend.

surfdog89
02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Rain, however, was never a pressing issue in California until the synthetic era. In its first 74 years of racing on dirt, Santa Anita canceled four cards due to rain. In three years of synthetics, it has had to cancel racing 17 times.

Daily racing form writer Steven Crist..........................

Deepsix
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Cancel the card, or DON"T. That is the question? I don't know about you people BUT as for me on those wet/rainy days (off turf because of weather) I'm very satisfied, or maybe better said it has zero impact if they cancel the card, because I don't play those tracks ANYWAY. Typically a sloppy surface, about half the field has scratched, and nobody runs to form. I suppose you can rely on your Mudders/Turfers numbers and bet those crazy fields BUT I'll wait for better weather, thank you.

I skip those days, fer sure. You people can have 'em.

Relwob Owner
02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Is the following fact part of my “ridiculous bias”?

In its first 74 years of racing on dirt, Santa Anita canceled four cards due to rain. In three years of synthetics, it has had to cancel racing 17 times.

You’ve had a hair up your ass about NYRA since you’ve joined the board. Your moronic threads and posts are evidence of that.

Substantiate your mischaracterization of my comment as being biased or please retract it.

I wouldnt hold your breath in terms of waiting for a retraction. In my opinion, your post was far too sharp and concise to get one from MP......he is still attempting to get the LMAO emoticon to appear in one of his posts after something funny is written-he is currently 0 for 37, I believe

Tom
02-27-2010, 08:53 PM
If SA had a drainage system that worked, do you think they would need to cancel? If they had dirt over this same system, wouldn't they sill have the same problems?

BlueShoe
02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
If they had dirt over this same system, wouldn't they sill have the same problems?
There have been much rainier seasons in the past over the old dirt track and SA never missed a day. One year, 68 I believe, they got so much rain that the track was designated as heavy a few times, something we do not see in this modern era. The track was so deep and soaked that good allowance sprinters were running 6 furlongs in 1:15 and change.

CincyHorseplayer
02-27-2010, 11:09 PM
They could run on it if they wanted.

But it would defy the definition of an "All weather surface".

Something they aren't ready to come to terms with.Ask AndyMays!:cool:

BluegrassProf
02-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt hold your breath in terms of waiting for a retraction. In my opinion, your post was far too sharp and concise to get one from MP......he is still attempting to get the LMAO emoticon to appear in one of his posts after something funny is written-he is currently 0 for 37, I believeAgreed: no breath-holding required. Seems the MP rhetorical-editorial posts are dismissed fairly readily by most parties...best to read, smile & chuckle with a slight headshake, and simply move on. :ThmbUp:

But I digress...

I'm ready for a new go, Santa A.; all-weather rulez, dirt droolz!!!

(I'll take my cash in the form of both small bills and three big-rigs of Stage Planks, Mr. Stronach. And perhaps a pool chair to lay out next to your giant friggin' swimming pool.)

:faint:

Robert Goren
02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
There have been much rainier seasons in the past over the old dirt track and SA never missed a day. One year, 68 I believe, they got so much rain that the track was designated as heavy a few times, something we do not see in this modern era. The track was so deep and soaked that good allowance sprinters were running 6 furlongs in 1:15 and change.For the kids in the audience, a heavy track is a drying out track and times get real slow. I have seen cheap claimers run 6F in 1:20 and change on it. I don't believe it possible to have one in this day and age. They no longer mix clay in to loose soil and use way too much sand for it to occur. It had a gooey firm texture like that of wet cement.

A. Pineda
02-28-2010, 11:57 AM
If SA had a drainage system that worked, do you think they would need to cancel? If they had dirt over this same system, wouldn't they sill have the same problems?

They would scrape the track surface to remove the mud, which made for a very hard footing where speed ruled. Some trainers refused to run their horses on that surface, but the show always went on.

By the way, a perfect example of "irony" would be a photo of horses galloping in the rain on the dirt training track last Saturday, while the adjacent Pro-Ride track was forming pools of water at the 1/8 and finish line while the maintenance crew scrambled for tarps.

therussmeister
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
There have been much rainier seasons in the past over the old dirt track and SA never missed a day. One year, 68 I believe, they got so much rain that the track was designated as heavy a few times, something we do not see in this modern era. The track was so deep and soaked that good allowance sprinters were running 6 furlongs in 1:15 and change.

But with the change to synthetics, they changed the drainage system. That is Tom's point. They forgot to put in the all-weather drainage system. :bang:

BlueShoe
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
But with the change to synthetics, they changed the drainage system. That is Tom's point. They forgot to put in the all-weather drainage system. :bang:
Not a problem. When they rip out the plastic track and return to dirt, reinstall the drainage system that worked for 70 years. Perhaps even tweak it a bit and make it even better than it was.

WinterTriangle
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Topic title should read :all weather track at SA

There are AW tracks, like Woodbine, that hold up just fine to weather. I'm sure there are others.

Do ya'll think they could have run on the Churchill dirt track when it was flooded in August?

Kimsus
03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
The title should read pro-ride to be completely accurate, I think this is the problem not AW or all synth tracks.

46zilzal
03-01-2010, 11:45 AM
This track is, in a word, EMBARRASSING to the sport.

Joey D
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Topic title should read :all weather track at SA

There are AW tracks, like Woodbine, that hold up just fine to weather. I'm sure there are others.

Do ya'll think they could have run on the Churchill dirt track when it was flooded in August?

You are correct..I was trying to emphasize the irony of the situation and I agree about the Pro-Ride..Hollywood has had no problems with it's track that I know of and Del Mar has no weather issues such as rain.

Today's announcement by Stronach makes me sick-No change in the surface forthcoming.

I guess you check the weather forecast and if it's going to rain more than a little bit, you use your Santa Anita PP's as fish wrap.

What a shame, one of the most beautiful settings in all of racing..

thespaah
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Au contraire, mon frere. I blame global warming, acid rain, alkaline snow, hemispheric moistening and female frigidity.

Heeyah !!![/SIZE]Jeez you forgot cohabitation!!!!