PDA

View Full Version : WOW!

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 01:32 PM
133 users online at the same time TODAY!! Beats the old record of 100 HANDILY (old record was set during the big Inter-Board handicapping contest, so it was sort of an inflated number).

Over 100 online right now.....WOW

JimG
07-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Does that include 1 person using 3 or 4 id's??:D

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Seriously though, this is very odd. There are STILL over 100 people online right now. Either there is a glitch in the system, a hacker in our midst, or somebody mentioned paceadvantage.com on TVG....LOL

==PA

Dave Schwartz
07-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, I can tell you that I'm not here and it says I'm logged in. Must be a glitch. <G>

Tom
07-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Well, I can tell you that I'm not here and it says I'm logged in. Must be a glitch. <G>

If you are not here, how did you post?:confused:

stuball
07-04-2003, 04:55 PM
there is nobody in the war room

Stuball

Suff
07-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Seriously though, this is very odd. There are STILL over 100 people online right now. Either there is a glitch in the system, a hacker in our midst, or somebody mentioned paceadvantage.com on TVG....LOL

==PA

Maybe , I had a hand in this. I had to get out of NY Today. So I went to an internet Cafe @48th and 8th with about 75 Computers and bought an hours worth of time. I went to USAIR and bought a ticket for the noon shuttle over the internet.

Anyway...I had about 45 minutes left and was fiddling around...and I went into the internet settings and I made the Home page.. http://www.paceadvantage.com . When I was walking out I swore I saw the PACE site on another computer...I gave a 2nd look thinking ,,,its a horseplayer. But it was 3 teenage asian girls. So I figured the site was similiar in appearance and went out front and caught a CaB to La Guardia.

Now I'm thinking....wonder if thats a Network version of Explorer and when I made the www.paceadvanatge.com site the HOME page. 75 computers on 48th avenue have PA as thier home page perhaps?

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Now THAT is funny!!!

I wouldn't doubt that this is what happened. You don't happen to remember what time you did this??

Of course, even if you did set it to www.paceadvantage.com, a person would STILL have to click on the MESSAGE BOARD link in order for the "users online" to be affected. Simply going to www.paceadvantage.com will NOT increase the "users online" counter.....

Suff
07-04-2003, 05:28 PM
10:00 am.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 05:29 PM
We set a new high at 11:00am. Close enough....

Suff
07-04-2003, 05:35 PM
We set a new high at 11:00am. Close enough....

3/4's of the terminals were empty. 10:00 am in that neighborhood is like DAWN to normal people.

Suff
07-04-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm in know way saying THIS IS what happened. I'm just running a whacky idea by you. Whacky things happen though.

VetScratch
07-04-2003, 06:11 PM
However it happened, if all the guests are not phantoms, the lurking newbies are pretty shrewd because "Sell Her Now" is finally trending upwards!

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 06:12 PM
It's the only logical explanation. BTW, do you remember if you set the browser home page to the MESSAGE BOARD or to the Website HOME PAGE (www.paceadvantage.com)??

Suff
07-04-2003, 06:21 PM
It's the only logical explanation. BTW, do you remember if you set the browser home page to the MESSAGE BOARD or to the Website HOME PAGE (www.paceadvantage.com)??

http://www.paceadvantage.com

Suff
07-04-2003, 06:28 PM
I tracked it down.. what it Might be,,,

You were Voted the #2 Horse racing site on the internet in The most recent review by the TOP100 Of the NET. Congratulations if this is it. This sounds more like it.

http://www.top100ofthe.net/Vote.asp?Genre=Gambling

Suff
07-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Mike....

They give you a "top 100" icon to display on your site if your site is displayed.

http://www.top100ofthe.net/webmasters.asp

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 06:42 PM
No offense to the top100 people, but i don't think that's it.....LOL

Suff
07-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Can I plagurize your WOW header ....to describe the Performance by the SOX in the Bronx today?

Feel the pain.................Musta been like crawling naked through broken glass for the NY Fans. We destroyed.

GameTheory
07-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I seriously doubt it was the internet cafe thing -- that would be one screwy network if setting the home page on one browser set them all.

More likely is your original idea -- you were probably mentioned somewhere, either on TV or more likely in a newspaper. This happens on my chess site from time to time. Some dude somewhere in the world puts my site as "recommended" in a newspaper, but since everyone has to type in the address by hand (although sometimes the column might be carried online as well) I get a huge surge of traffic and it is very difficult to find out where it came from -- right away anyway...

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 09:06 PM
GT,

Seemed strange to me too at first, but the timing is perfect (he was there at 10am, peak traffic was at 11am after he left....

Can't think of anything else...traffic pretty much been CONSTANT since early morning....

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Plus, another thing in favor of the "Suff Internet Cafe" theory is this:

It's July 4th. Lots of people on vacation, at July 4th parties and cookouts...block parties...etc.

And my site has CONSTANTLY been between 90 and 115 people online all day.....

Plus, there hasn't been much in the way of new registrations....

GameTheory
07-04-2003, 09:35 PM
If they're all coming from the same network, the IP's of all the guests ought to be very similar -- all starting with the same 2 or 3 numbers....

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2003, 11:05 PM
This is true. But I haven't gotten around to checking my log files yet. Plus, I don't think this message board allows me to inquire into the IPs of guests....

Tom
07-04-2003, 11:34 PM
1. FBI checking out the Off Topic section :rolleyes:
2. You are the result of a Goggle search for Snappcapper Pro!
3. Tom Consel
4. Dave's "ants" escaped today
5. The "hackers" are practicing for Sunday's attack
6. You are the result of a Goggle search for Toga Party
7. Derek took his laptop to the beech with him an left it on
8. Al Qeada is using this as a hideout
9. One of us is getting senile and keeps leaving the window open
and then opeing another one
10. You have been discovered

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Storm Cadet
07-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Sufferindowns...that doesn't explain how we Yankee fans feel after todays humiliation!!!!!!

Imagine the Sox coming into our place and smacking us around for 7 dingers????

You should put the Yankee scoreboard picture up on your avatar of todays bashing...well we have The Rocket going against former Yankee Mendoza on saturday!

I'll watch it from Belmont!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

lousycapper
07-05-2003, 12:03 AM
:D Al Gore and a bunch of his tree huggin' buds? Remember he invented the inter-nut. So we're here only because of Al and Tipper. :D

-L.C.

BillW
07-05-2003, 12:38 AM
SC

I'd love to see your sig line on a billboard along I-10 in downtown Houston. Can you say "Drive Bys" :D

Bill

VetScratch
07-05-2003, 01:10 AM
PA,
I agree with Game Theory that the Internet Cafe scenario makes no sense unless a Cafe prankster (empoyee) with administrative privileges took note of Sufferindowns' URL history and then had nothing better to do on a national holiday except store the PA Message Board link in a shared file and employ all the vacant workstations to access the Message Board.

However, this is farfetched unless Cafe business has been **REAL** slow today or the Cafe closed for the holiday (because the phantom guests are still here). The persistence of these guests (which has hovered around 70+ for a long time) also makes the Search Engine and Third-Party-Recommendation explanatiions implausible (i.e., not enough fluctuation in number of guests).

If hackers are at work, I can't see any point to what has transpired (because you haven't mentioned any denial of service symptoms or a huge surge in page requests). If you can't inspect the IPs (as Game Theory suggested), I still think there is a KISS answer to this mystery.

I suspect that "10:00am on a national holiday" is the most important clue. Even many businesses that are usually open on Saturdays are closed today. Game Theory might be able to help us with the details, but I would bet that someone somewhere is pranking us by leaving a lot of unattended workstations linked to this board.

There are many corporate network schemes, and some of them are bound to allow a network administrator cause this event from a single workstation. If so, these guests may not disappear until work resumes on Monday.

GameTheory
07-05-2003, 01:20 AM
The board ought to log them out (session expires) after a while if there is no activity. Maybe the BB software is just broken, and they really are phantoms. Just look at the raw logs and it will be easy enough to tell what's going on....

VetScratch
07-05-2003, 03:00 AM
After looking for a KISS explanation, I am embarrassed :o that I overlooked the absence or malfunction of session control/management as the simplest of all explanations.

Presuming PA can verify/fix this circumstance, shouldn't he be able to set more lenient session limits for logged-in members than for guests? I have seen some boards operate this way.

The logs, as you suggest, should be revealing unless things are really screwed up.

BTW, when you suggested that the board (software) may be broken, I interpreted this to suggest you also mean (that if session control is not obviously the problem), phantoms could be manufactured by bugs in other functions (even in a way that makes the phantoms immune to session controls that seem to work for real users). What I mean is that PA should not stop digging if the simplest explanation doesn't pan out (e.g., checking whether there has been a recent update/patch to his software).

One last thought that occurred to me... I am a denizen of the dark. Last night, I did encounter a glitch on several successive accesses to PA. For a period of about 30-45 minutes, auto-login-failed and I couldn't post or do other member stuff. This was no biggie at the time (because I am in the middle of a real-world work project). Later, without any changes on my end, auto-login worked fine and I posted to Handicapping Software at 7:49am.
I think the glitches occurred a couple of hours prior to this. You see where I'm going of course.... what I encountered may have happened to others over a longer period than my experience, and each time auto-login failed could the result have been a new phantom guest? And shouldn't the logs (if not corrupted) also reflect these auto-login failures?

Yikes! Before I get in any deeper over my head, I better take my OCD meds and back to work! :)

Suff
07-05-2003, 09:55 AM
I like the internet cafe story. Even though 85% of me says its not possible. Unless I get the real story by Monday.

I'm going to start telling the Internet cafe story as TRUTH.

lol.

what?

Its a good story....

will tell well

"COULD" be true

and has no reprucussions if I'm wrong.....

Remember....we have to think of the Horseplayers who will be here on PACEADVANTAGE 100 years from now.

Like all societies....it should be built on bullshit.

Storm Cadet
07-05-2003, 10:35 AM
The reference to Yankees in my sig line is about the NY Yankees, not NORTHERN YANKEES...and it was made by the sports editor of the Cleveland Palins Dealer after his Indians kept getting trounced by the NY Yanks year after year!

Drive bye maybe near Fenway but not Houston!

:D :D :D

SC

Suff
07-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BillW
SC

I'd love to see your sig line on a billboard along I-10 in downtown Houston. Can you say "Drive Bys" :D

Bill

Bill you know your going to the VIRTUAL Center of Yankee land don't you? In the northeast... States Like RI, MA, Conn, Downstate NY and Eatern MA, are not hip to this Yankee thing that goes on in the south.

If you walked up to a guy in Providence RI and said "are you a yankee"? He'd go " HUH? " And if you told him you were from Houston he may even ask "Thats Texas Right?".... People in these parts are not hip to this Yankee thing....They pay it no mind. Its not part of the culture there.

BUt,,,If you go UPSTATE vermont,,,UPSTATE NY, UPSTATE Maine and NH, and Eastern ma.....Now your gonna see what the South knows as Yankees.

Your going to run into various Cultures all WASP, that range from..

Two Kids, Buffy and Jody. Jody Goes to Colgate, Buffy goes Colby. They'll get post graduate's at Princeton or Yale and go work in the Family Business or a Wall street Lawyer...Private clubs,,Private Golf memberships.. They can trace thier Direct ancestors to 15 century england.....They have relatives in thier Bloodlines that signed the Declartion of Independence or were Generals in the continental Army.

Some were against the American revolution and thats why we are still very sympathetic to ENGLAND. There is a very PRO-england stand in the intellectual captials of the North East,

Up in Northern Vermont you will find the Green Mountain Boys..who fought in the civil war. They have GUNS ...(many guns) and they don;t take kindly to strangers and if you have a southern drawl......Thats strike 2.

In Saratoga...a track Built 2 years after the CIVIL war. With Bloodlines that go back directly.....believe me,, its Yankee land.

Way out western ma,,,they have a Summer Boston Symphony in the Berkshires....all the Boston and NY.....HUGE WEALTH...are out there playing 1888 all over agian.

But the Rank and file NYC, Hartford, Providence, Philadelphia and Boston working stiff's don't consider themselves YANKEES.....YANKEES are a class here.....not a geographic thing.

Suff
07-05-2003, 11:28 AM
another thing,,

Yankees (england) hate MC's (ireland). No self respecting Irish-American Catholic would accept being lumped in with Yankees.

BillW
07-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
Bill you know your going to the VIRTUAL Center of Yankee land don't you?

I grew up there (well kinda there, Pittsburgh)

Up in Northern Vermont you will find the Green Mountain Boys..who fought in the civil war. They have GUNS ...(many guns) and they don;t take kindly to strangers and if you have a southern drawl......Thats strike 2.

I try not to be too xenophobic, but I do refuse to use the phrase "y'all"

another thing,,

Yankees (england) hate MC's (ireland). No self respecting Irish-American Catholic would accept being lumped in with Yankees.
In Saratoga...a track Built 2 years after the CIVIL war. With Bloodlines that go back directly.....believe me,, its Yankee land.

Born a Scots-Irish Catholic here, with a slightly sick sense of humor. :D

Bill

BTW there is a Houston in Pa. Right near 84, Pa. and The Meadows trotter track in Washington County. ;)

PaceAdvantage
07-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Things seem back to normal now....when I get around to checking the log files for July 4th, I'll let everyone know what I find....

There was no change to the software on this end (has been no change for months), so there is little possibility of it being a "glitch" which fails to log off guests.

Storm Cadet
07-05-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm proud to be both types of Yankees by the way. My inlaws are from Tennessee...they still refuse to admit they LOST the Civil War...so I get their you know what yearly as well as from all my RED SOX buddies after each Yankee loss to the BOSOX!!!

SC:cool: :cool: :cool:

kenwoodall
07-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Old guys looking for pace-makers! OOPS! those ARE handicappers!!

Suff
07-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodall
Old guys looking for pace-makers! OOPS! those ARE handicappers!!

Interesting angle and humor Ken.

Show Me the Wire
07-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Yes, very, very interesting and strange.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

JustRalph
07-05-2003, 01:48 PM
I believe Ethan Allan and the Green Mountain boys were famous for their Exploits in the Revolutionary War? Fort Ticonderoga etc.

My wife is from Vermont and they hold the GMB's in very high esteem up in them parts........and they should. Those guys were sneaky as hell and basically ran the Brits out of the area using some pretty nefarious tactics for the time period. They basically snuck into Fort Ticonderoga and overtook the Fort before the enemy knew what was happening. They moved the cannons and such to Boston Harbor (no easy task in those days) and this allowed General Washington to defend the Harbor. Ok, I got all that crap off the Internet, I am sure I have heard it from the wife before, but recalling it would mean I had to have listened very closely in the first place. I have toured Fort Ticonderoga though...

Suff
07-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes..Your correct. I had wrong war....lol....But olong those lines.

couple or three exits after the track Exit is the SARATOGA NATIONAL PARK. Site of the Battle of Saratoga. When I get really bored this week...I'll track it down,,,,,But I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Green Mountain Boys" mentioned on some PLaques there as well.

I'm sure Battle of Saratoga was the Revolutionary War. I Don't think the Rebel Army Marched that Far North. Never got much North of Virgina in that squirmish.

Suff
07-06-2003, 11:34 AM
I was wrong again....I think. I went to battle of Saratoga WEB site. I did'nt see anything about the Green Mountain Boys fighting in that War.

But they do have a very nice web site. And if your into this kind of thing. It looks like something interesting for Tuesday Dark Day....or mid-morning before the races.

http://www.saratoga.org/battle1777/

cato
07-06-2003, 06:43 PM
The primary question is did the Green Mountain Boys focus primarily on speed, pace or class?

Cato

hurrikane
07-06-2003, 11:12 PM
wow...isnt' that something.
Whatever happens...

I don't know you.
I"ve never been here
I don't know anything about this place.
you never saw me..

see you tomorrow.

racing411.com
07-07-2003, 08:21 AM
why can't it be that people are just finding this to be a good horse player forum and coming back more often ?

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Because in statistical terms, July 4ths "action" was WAY OUTSIDE the norm. An extreme OUTLIER if you will....

superfecta
07-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Something good happens on this board,(high ranking on a list of gambling sites,and a large amount of visits to this site)and we got to find out what is wrong.Just like hitting a big ticket and we got to find out why instead of accepting it and moving on.As long as it isn't a problem,why make it one?

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Now, if I can only get my URL in the Chicago Sun Times, I'll be golden.....

Good going barntowire!!

VetScratch
07-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Now, if I can only get my URL in the Chicago Sun Times, I'll be golden.....LOL

Your members used "Kentucky Windage" and "By-Seat-Of-The-Pants" estimates to examine what happened in the controversial race at AP, and the PA board managed to scoop Jim O'Donnell and Steve "Stat Man" Miller by several days. Maybe the Sun Times should think about getting its URL on PA.