PDA

View Full Version : Who should call the Blossom?

only11
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
My vote Durkin..or Dooley...

rastajenk
02-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Terry Wallace, of course

andtheyreoff
02-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I would assume Wallace, but with the Blossom on NBC, you could hear Tom for the network broadcast.

johnhannibalsmith
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Tony Calo... without a doubt...

"...But keeeeep yoour eye on Zenyatta, she's the one in the turquoise silks, moving out of eighth, now seventh, now sixth... she's on the move past the half-mile pole but still has nine lengths to make up on the leader and that leader is nooowwww RRRRRRRRaaachel Allleexxxannnndra.... Rachel Alexxxandra storms to the front and takes command - if you want to win the Apple Blossom, you gotta go throouuughh RRRRRRRRachel Alexxxaaaaaandra and shhee's down to just oooonnne challenger past the eighth pole and that challenge is in the form of Zenyyaatttaa... Zenyaaattttaaa continues to close the ggggyyyap on RRRachel Alexxxandra and she's the one with AAlllllll the momentum past the sixteenth pole, but still has tthhhhreeee to make up on the defending Horse of the Year...."

Sorry, but as much as it got to where he'd drive me nuts when he was in California, he still can be as good as anyone when he's on his game... I figured I'd better be the lone Tony Calo advocate in the thread... :kiss:

only11
02-26-2010, 02:58 PM

"...But keeeeep yoour eye on Zenyatta, she's the one in the turquoise silks, moving out of eighth, now seventh, now sixth... she's on the move past the half-mile pole but still has nine lengths to make up on the leader and that leader is nooowwww RRRRRRRRaaachel Allleexxxannnndra.... Rachel Alexxxandra storms to the front and takes command - if you want to win the Apple Blossom, you gotta go throouuughh RRRRRRRRachel Alexxxaaaaaandra and shhee's down to just oooonnne challenger past the eighth pole and that challenge is in the form of Zenyyaatttaa... Zenyaaattttaaa continues to close the ggggyyyap on RRRachel Alexxxandra and she's the one with AAlllllll the momentum past the sixteenth pole, but still has tthhhhreeee to make up on the defending Horse of the Year...."

Sorry, but as much as it got to where he'd drive me nuts when he was in California, he still can be as good as anyone when he's on his game... I figured I'd better be the lone Tony Calo advocate in the thread... :kiss:
Maybe you should call the race ;)

SmartyLane
02-26-2010, 03:23 PM

No doubt I started reading it really fast like I was really there..........started gettin chills..............

I will be there and can't wait.

Marshall Bennett
02-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Tony Calo :lol: or Richard Grunder :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Tony Calo :lol: or Richard Grunder :lol:

Hey... hey... hey... don't get crazy now... :p

boomman
02-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Hey....Hey....Hey..... don't get crazy now!! (Take 2) LOL:lol:

Boomer

johnhannibalsmith
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey....Hey....Hey..... don't get crazy now!! (Take 2) LOL:lol:

Boomer

Nervous jealousy - that's what I see here in this post... :D

(If you aren't careful, I'll give the Boomer call of the Apple Blossom, complete with the "they race around the bend the final three-sixteenths to the end" and even a "Verrrrryyyy slow start on the inside by Zenyatta, fast start on the outside by Rachel Alexandra..." but I won't give away if it ends with "First call!!! That was ALL!!!!")

GaryG
02-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike Battaglia. As Rachel is being unsaddled: And now....on the out-side.......Zenyatta is gaaaaaaining ground....

only11
02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Mike Battaglia. As Rachel is being unsaddled: And now....on the out-side.......Zenyatta is gaaaaaaining ground....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruddah
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I can't speak for the network that gets the "gig", but as for Oaklawn, Terry Wallace will be in the booth and do his usual excellent job. He's been making the calls for 30+ years and has never missed a single day of any meet. Obviously, the Cella's and Oaklawn fans appreciate his abilities.

In my humble opinion, any network would be making a huge mistake to use any other announcer than Terry Wallace.
:ThmbUp:

Moyers Pond
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
My vote Durkin..or Dooley...

Terry Wallace. Pretty simple. He works for an owner/group that is not bankrupt.

The race is not going to be on live television anyway. It will be on delay during the Saturday broadcast of the 3yr old colt race. No network is going to put it on during a Friday afternoon, especially if something crazy like a late scratch happens and they are stuck with a mediocre $500K mare race that nobody cares about.

InsideThePylons-MW
02-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Frank M. will be calling the race on the TVG Gate Crashers show during the Apple Blossom.

joanied
02-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Ditto---:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Durkin:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: no doubt about it:jump:

boomman
02-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Nervous jealousy - that's what I see here in this post... :D

(If you aren't careful, I'll give the Boomer call of the Apple Blossom, complete with the "they race around the bend the final three-sixteenths to the end" and even a "Verrrrryyyy slow start on the inside by Zenyatta, fast start on the outside by Rachel Alexandra..." but I won't give away if it ends with "First call!!! That was ALL!!!!")

I double dog dare you! You're a "beauty" LOL:D

Boomer

menifee
02-26-2010, 05:32 PM

This is great. Good job. People don't like him, but I love his calls.

v j stauffer
02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
You're not alone at all. Big fan of Tony's. Always have been.

Hanover1
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Please hold all tickets as an objection has been posted......

Zenyatta To Crush
02-26-2010, 10:42 PM
You're not alone at all. Big fan of Tony's. Always have been.
I give my vote to you Vic. You need to call one more Zenyatta race before she retires....again.

If not Vic, I'd say Durkin. Wallace will probably get so excited that you won't be able to understand him down the stretch. Then again, Durkin could say "Rachel Alexander" a few times too. It's worth the risk though, he's great.

PhantomOnTour
02-27-2010, 12:47 AM
I know who shouldnt call the Apple Blossom...

Terry Wallace ofcourse-he's pathetic.

Settle down Vic and Boomman. You will defend him because he's a colleague and a 'nice guy' or something like that, but the fact is that he is not a good race caller, period. May have been once upon a time, but not anymore. Its not about how nice you are or how many colleagues think you're a good guy, if ya cant do the job ya cant do the job.

boomman
02-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I know who shouldnt call the Apple Blossom...

Terry Wallace ofcourse-he's pathetic.

Settle down Vic and Boomman. You will defend him because he's a colleague and a 'nice guy' or something like that, but the fact is that he is not a good race caller, period. May have been once upon a time, but not anymore. Its not about how nice you are or how many colleagues think you're a good guy, if ya cant do the job ya cant do the job.

That is not a fact, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. What Vic and I independently both "jumped" on in an earlier thread was a poster making the ridiculous statement that he as a non race caller (and the poster subsequently admitting that he was only half kidding) could walk in the booth at Oaklawn having never called a race in his life and do a better job than Terry........Paleeeeeeease!

Boomer

Pace Cap'n
02-27-2010, 07:23 AM
When watching a race of this magnitude, I wouldn't care if it was being called by Clem Kadiddlehopper.

Relwob Owner
02-27-2010, 08:16 AM
I give my vote to you Vic. You need to call one more Zenyatta race before she retires....again.

If not Vic, I'd say Durkin. Wallace will probably get so excited that you won't be able to understand him down the stretch. Then again, Durkin could say "Rachel Alexander" a few times too. It's worth the risk though, he's great.

I agree...not just because he is a contributor on here but because I have always thought he was the best. He appears to be telling a story during the race and also seems to be incredibly well prepared for how the race will shape up.....add his natural enthusiasm for calling races and the sport in general and you have a true pro IMO

Robert Goren
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
It is almost always a mistake when they use some one other than the local guy. Terry Wallace is a top flight race caller. There is no reason to use anyone else. JMO

Steve R
02-27-2010, 11:50 AM
It is almost always a mistake when they use some one other than the local guy. Terry Wallace is a top flight race caller. There is no reason to use anyone else. JMO
I agree, but I would love to hear my very favorite race caller, Greg Miles. He calls races in Australia and if you've seen any videos of the Melbourne Cup over the last 25 years you will know who he is. Best I've ever heard.

cj
02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd go with the old Keeneland announcer. It would be perfect for a race like this.

PhantomOnTour
02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=boomman]That is not a fact, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. What Vic and I independently both "jumped" on in an earlier thread was a poster making the ridiculous statement that he as a non race caller (and the poster subsequently admitting that he was only half kidding) could walk in the booth at Oaklawn having never called a race in his life and do a better job than Terry........Paleeeeeeease!

Wallace's CONSTANT mis pronunciations and pregnant pauses and 'uhhhs' are not a matter of opinion. They are facts. An announcer that has trouble announcing and annunciating is missing the basic skills to do his job.

jballscalls
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd go with the old Keeneland announcer. It would be perfect for a race like this.

I can't think of a single great sporting event or moment that i'd prefer watching on tv with no one calling the action.

Terry Wallace has been there longer than i've been alive, it's his race to call, just as if it was at Santa Anita it would be Trevor's, Hollywood it would be Vic's, and the Spa it would be Tom Durkins.

If a network shows it then they have the right to use whatever talent they want, but i'm gonna watch the oaklawn feed regardless

slew101
02-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree. I always make a point to search out the Churchill and Preakness feeds for the calls. I don't watch enough Oaklawn races, but I agree it should be Wallace's call since it's his track.

Has there been any official word on TV coverage, or is it still up in the air?

Terry Wallace has been there longer than i've been alive, it's his race to call, just as if it was at Santa Anita it would be Trevor's, Hollywood it would be Vic's, and the Spa it would be Tom Durkins.

If a network shows it then they have the right to use whatever talent they want, but i'm gonna watch the oaklawn feed regardless

Pace Cap'n
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
An announcer that has trouble announcing and annunciating is missing the basic skills to do his job.

LOL @ "annunciating".

Robert Goren
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Spelling should be basic skill necessary for posting. But typing without leaving out words should not be.;)

johnhannibalsmith
02-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I always wondered if you were really posting in code Tec Goren... if you wrote down the one word missing from every post, circled the third letter, unscrambled to make a name, it would tell you who to bet in the Derby future pool or something... ;)

toetoe
02-27-2010, 09:35 PM

These two together as one ... killer crossover ... Zenyatta from the depths of nowhere ... who wants it more ? ... [fill in name] front and center ...

johnhannibalsmith
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
These two together as one ... killer crossover ... Zenyatta from the depths of nowhere ... who wants it more ? ... [fill in name] front and center ...

I was actually mad that I didn't fire in a "comes calling for the lead"... but man... how praytell did "WHO wants it more" not make it in there... :ThmbUp:

toetoe
02-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Spelling should be basic skill necessary for posting. But typing without leaving out words should not be.;)

Huh ? What did I miss ?

toetoe
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
The great Paul Allen.

[Urp] ... I don't feel so hot.

cj
02-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I can't think of a single great sporting event or moment that i'd prefer watching on tv with no one calling the action.

I will mention the Cal Ripken game where he broke Lou Gehrig's record. After it became an official game, the announcers on ESPN didn't say a word for 15 minutes and it was absolutely perfect. I've never forgotten that.

turfnsport
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Frank M. will be calling the race on the TVG Gate Crashers show during the Apple Blossom.

Sad but true. :lol:

If the options are Terry Wallace or silence, I'll take the latter.

jballscalls
02-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I will mention the Cal Ripken game where he broke Lou Gehrig's record. After it became an official game, the announcers on ESPN didn't say a word for 15 minutes and it was absolutely perfect. I've never forgotten that.

silence is better than listening to Chris Berman, i will give you that!!

Zenyatta To Crush
02-27-2010, 11:39 PM
silence is better than listening to Chris Berman, i will give you that!!
If Durkin can duplicate THIS silence, maybe it'll be the most exciting finish ever.

iCqrVYi93ss

postpicker
02-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Since we all know that Terry Wallace will call the race, the questions we should wonder is what type of Tux will he wear and will he keep the Beulah Twins bobblehead on his desk as he handicaps the races that day on the simulcast feed.

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Terry Wallace, of course
:lol:

Tuffmug
02-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Assmusen and Shiriffs should call it together. Assmusen calls the first half where Rachel shines and Shirrifs calls the second half where Zenyatta passes Rachel :D by!

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Have America's first lady call the race. (oprah or Michelle, whoever is more available)

Think of the publicity racing would get if you invited Oprah to call the race? Think of how many more people would discover the joys of horse racing if Oprah started talking about this exciting opportunity to call an ACTUAL HORSE RACE! I mean, lets face it, every fan of Oprah would tune in....thats a lot of people!

Who cares if she botches it, i'd trade in a botched call for millions of extra people watching on tv that wouldn't normally watch.

postpicker
02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Have America's first lady call the race. (oprah or Michelle, whoever is more available)

Think of the publicity racing would get if you invited Oprah to call the race? Think of how many more people would discover the joys of horse racing if Oprah started talking about this exciting opportunity to call an ACTUAL HORSE RACE! I mean, lets face it, every fan of Oprah would tune in....thats a lot of people!

Who cares if she botches it, i'd trade in a botched call for millions of extra people watching on tv that wouldn't normally watch.

I hope someone can provide the audio/video of the race Julie Krone called in the late 80's or early 90's, then I wonder if you'd feel the same way.

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 12:40 AM
I hope someone can provide the audio/video of the race Julie Krone called in the late 80's or early 90's, then I wonder if you'd feel the same way.

I would. Julie isn't going to get millions of fans to tune in, Oprah will. That's the difference. Trading a million or two extra fans for one botched call. That's a trade i'd make every day of the week.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Allowing Oprah or Julie to call this race would be akin to allowing Roseanne to once again sing the Star Spangled Banner.

In short, it would be an absolute disgrace, and anyone seriously considering such a thing ought to have their head examined.

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Allowing Oprah or Julie to call this race would be akin to allowing Roseanne to once again sing the Star Spangled Banner.

In short, it would be an absolute disgrace, and anyone seriously considering such a thing ought to have their head examined.

Think of the extra fans racing would get. Think of the Pub racing would get. You want Terry Wallace so bad that you're willing to forego all that publicity?

Bruddah
02-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Think of the extra fans racing would get. Think of the Pub racing would get. You want Terry Wallace so bad that you're willing to forego all that publicity?

I'll have whatever he's smoking. :cool: :lol:

Stillriledup
02-28-2010, 03:24 AM
I'll have whatever he's smoking. :cool: :lol:

Oprah > Wallace

:ThmbUp:

rastajenk
02-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Since we all know that Terry Wallace will call the race, the questions we should wonder is what type of Tux will he wear and will he keep the Beulah Twins bobblehead on his desk as he handicaps the races that day on the simulcast feed.Aaargh, ya beat me to it...a BTB reference. Terry Wallace has the bobbleheads. Therefore, as we say in the off-topic forum, the debate is OVER. :jump:

Tampa Russ
02-28-2010, 06:34 AM

....by a proctologist.

OTM Al
02-28-2010, 09:30 AM
What's next? What celebrities should be in the audience? What hot dogs should be served? Now we hear a major network may broadcast the race. If that happens, we'd better pray that there is no rain or this "wonderful" event is going to turn into a PR nightmare. Personally I really hope this thing comes off because its gone too far now, but to be honest, I don't care what happens. I'll watch it like everyone else, but with the regret that at least one of the horses there will be racing in the wrong race.