PDA

View Full Version : Apple Blossom nominees

joanied
02-26-2010, 11:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4945352

They are, in alphabetical order, Bambera, Black Magic Mamma, Just Jenda, Justwhistledixie, Love To Tell, My Baby Baby, Stardom Bound, Striking Dancer, Sweet Repent, and Unforgotten. Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta have yet to be nominated.

The Apple Blossom nominations close in just 14 days, and everyone at Oaklawn Park — from owner Charles Cella to the racing secretary on down — has been hustling entries. But the kind of horses they're looking for are not easy to find; mostly because they don't exist at this point in the season.

OTM Al
02-26-2010, 02:19 PM
There are no nominees. Its an invitational this year. Those horses may have been invited or that's just a left over list from before they changed it.

Moyers Pond
02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
There are no nominees. Its an invitational this year. Those horses may have been invited or that's just a left over list from before they changed it.

Actually there are nominees. After the nominations, the track will select 8 for invitation, or basically will keep inviting until a field of 8 shows up.

born2ride
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
The way it works is that a horse is nominated, then once nominations are closed Oaklawn will review the nominations and send out invitations.

The list joanied provided are the horses nominated for the AB this year.

joanied
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
The way it works is that a horse is nominated, then once nominations are closed Oaklawn will review the nominations and send out invitations.

The list joanied provided are the horses nominated for the AB this year.

Thank you born2ride and MP, for clarifying that for OTM AI :)

OTM Al
02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I suppose that's a nomination, but not of the sort one thinks of as normal. It's more like a "please pick me", but whatever. Most invitationals have to go out and ask horses that weren't on the original list before all was said and done anyway.

Pace Cap'n
02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Most invitationals aren't expecting a couple of entries the caliber of, of, er, what were their names again?