PDA

View Full Version : California's deadly grass

FenceBored
02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
In a departure from our normal synth/dirt debate I thought I'd throw out this nugget from a Bloodhorse article:

Synthetic surfaces produced a mortality rate of 1.95 per 1,000 (109 out of 56,031 starters) from 2007-09, while the rate over the same tracks when they raced on dirt (2004-06) was 3.09 (181/58,659), according to Arthur. For comparison, the racing fatality rate on turf for the entire period was 2.44 (89/36,486).
-- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55578/arthur-calif-equine-deaths-declined-in-09
:eek: This has got to be some of the most deadly turf racing in the world!

Moyers Pond
02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
California going to a synthetic in order to save horses was ridiculous. If they want to say it saves them millions in track maintenance costs I would believe and understand that, but this nonsense about saving horses is ridiculous.

I think the synthetics is easier on a horse, that is why many top trainers stay at Keeneland, but if a synthetic simply means 1 less horse in 1000 is going to die, then give it up. This is a statistical joke.

CA deals with odd weather problems which can make the dirt rock hard, but if they want to save horses from the constant pounding, just put in a synthetic training track for those that want to use it.

Turf is turf. The style of racing leads to more traffic and more dangerous racing. Nothing you can do about it. But that is why turf racing is so superior to running on dirt. Just remember, the hotter and drier the weather the harder the turf, which means turf racing essentially becomes the same as running on a concrete dirt track.

Charlie D
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Looking at those i would presume/ guess when synthetic starts are the same number as Dirt starts the mortality rates will be a bit closer than they currently are.

Charlie D
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Just remember, the hotter and drier the weather the harder the turf, which means turf racing essentially becomes the same as running on a concrete dirt track.

A good point there MP and it gives weight to what Hanover stated on another thread.

"hard surfaces and unsound" horses.

andymays
02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
What is deadly is the leadership in California. What a pathetic bunch.

Moyers Pond
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
What is deadly is the leadership in California. What a pathetic bunch.

They are no more pathetic than the people that run NY racing or KY racing. All receive a resounding F. NY is constantly bankrupt and has a legislature that appoints idiots and friends to run the racing, and KY is full of idiots that rather let millions in slot money go to Indiana.

Racing is run by idiots.

Charlie D
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Speaking of NY. Does anyone know what NYRA stats are for the same period??

Hanover1
02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
A good point there MP and it gives weight to what Hanover stated on another thread.

"hard surfaces and unsound" horses.
Keep in mind, this was not a AWS plug........

gm10
02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
still safer than the dirt - but it shows that either they don't know how to maintain tracks in California or their horses are drugged up to the eyeballs

johnhannibalsmith
02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
For what it's worth - there aren't many cheap claiming races run on turf either.

gillenr
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Also, larger fields on turf.

riskman
02-26-2010, 03:47 PM
They are no more pathetic than the people that run NY racing or KY racing. All receive a resounding F. NY is constantly bankrupt and has a legislature that appoints idiots and friends to run the racing, and KY is full of idiots that rather let millions in slot money go to Indiana.

Racing is run by idiots.

So, I assume you do not wager on NYRA and CD races.Who in their right mind would continue to support idiotic race venues ?

bisket
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Speaking of NY. Does anyone know what NYRA stats are for the same period??
now there's the million dollar question! you know california is the only state that keeps track of breakdowns. which is why its impossible to tuely get a handle on these things.

Space Monkey
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
biskit, don't we know people (sth41) from the old board that does keep track of breakdowns by state/track?

Moyers Pond
02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
So, I assume you do not wager on NYRA and CD races.Who in their right mind would continue to support idiotic race venues ?

The taxpayers of the states. :lol: