PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Software/Database FAQ

VetScratch
07-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Q: Can handicapping software/database products find profitable systematic methods?
A: Yes.

A: Can profits persist if these products are put on the market?
Q: Not unless the systematic method has the same characteristics as a lucrative business venture.

Q: What do you mean by that?
A: Most truly lucrative (legal) business ventures are characterized by attributes that discourage competition. Examples are prohibitive entry costs (for capital equipment, franchise rights, startup research, high-priced expertise, etc.); some kind of product or service anchor that promotes customer loyalty; or a synergistic match between your product/service and a special market niche or profession.

Q: Huh?
A: The genetic pharmaceutical business has great potential, but it is very costly and difficult to enter.
A: Sun or Apple may announce a great O/S, but how many users will junk their current PC to jettison Microsoft?
A: A product or service uniquely suits a special market niche or profession such that benefits you provide do not extend outside your targeted customer base (i.e., you help a market niche or profession protect and maintain its position of advantage or privilege).

Q: What kind of handicapping software/database products are doomed to failure?
A: Anything that is suspiciously cheap (measured by acquisition costs and usage costs).
A: Anything that is extremely popular with handicapping mainstreamers.
A: Anything any fool can comprehend and use.
A: Anything that functions as a black box as opposed to a decision analysis tool.
A: Anything that promises success without a considerable investment of time, energy, and intellect by the same tiny minority of handicappers who already work hard enough to enjoy success.

gino
07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
vettie-
so i found an absolutely pristine K2 Performance/Class Calculator in a box of junk...do I
(a)frame it;
(b) send it to Bangalore with 500,000,000 rupees and see if some wizard can turn it into a program that i can market for $99.99...
(c)put it on Ebay;
(d)use it...
what if it turned out that 3 pieces of plastic with a grommet in the middle was all we ever needed?
gino
random and retro

VetScratch
07-05-2003, 05:34 AM
LOL

You test the 3 pieces of plastic and the grommet while I look for a trainer in the middle of divorce proceedings and a Cajun jockey with a pregnant wife!

Lefty
07-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Gino, if you get $99.95 for K2 let me know. I have a couple of those around here someplace.

lousycapper
07-05-2003, 01:10 PM
:D Grampa bought several libraries from x-hoss players. I disccovered why they were x-hoss players. Simply put they bought junk and went broke. I wonder if Grampa's junk could be sold on E-bay as "junque", hmmmmmm? What do you think? :D

-L.C.

gino
07-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by VetScratch
LOL

You test the 3 pieces of plastic and the grommet while I look for a trainer in the middle of divorce proceedings and a Cajun jockey with a pregnant wife!
v-
u shouldn't have gone public w/ the pregnant jockey angle...i can see joe takach perving around the paddock checking out those cute yooung Evangelines for the telltale kidney sweats...way easier with the bare midriff fashions...note to joe: belly button ring, on or off?
gino
equine fashion maven

gino
07-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Gino, if you get $99.95 for K2 let me know. I have a couple of those around here someplace.
lefty:
maybe that was the key, you needed one for each hand...i sure wish i could find the directions...you know u meet very few ambidextrous guys named lefty...
gino
deep thinking a speciality

VetScratch
07-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Gino,

I think Joe's original paddock observation conditions were:
(1) Jockey's wife: pregnant,
(2) Belly button ring: On
(3) Bar shoes: Off.

Later, he shortened the list when the perils of drinking during pregnancy received widespread publicity.

gino
07-05-2003, 09:49 PM
until takach came along i thought bar shoes were my good cowboy boots...
giddyup.

Terry Riggs
07-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Gino,

Good cowboy boots = bar shoes, now that is funny! lol

Terry

Lefty
07-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Gino, no not a K2 for ea hand; one for Thoro and one for Harness.
They're the same?
What's your point?

avlarry
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Do you still have the K2 performance/class calculator? I'd like to buy it if I could.
I have a friend of mine that has been looking for one and it would be cool if I could come up with it!

Lefty
06-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I got a couple someplace if i can dig em out. That's gonna be the hard part. I'll hafta get bk to you.

ryesteve
06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
The Internet amazes me sometimes... someone responds to a 3 year old "For Sale" message, and gets a response within 10 minutes :D

Tom
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
That was a blast form the past!
Couple of old familiar names on that thread! :eek: