PDA

View Full Version : 1973 - "Americans"

DeanT
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I read an opinion article this morning in the paper talking about Tom Brokaw's piece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoTJItSPt0) about US/Canada that has been playing on Youtube with like 1M hits. The author related it to a 1973 piece about America from a Canadian journalist, that back in that day made some news.

I remember as a wee kid hearing this speech in school about our neighbours in social studies class. I had no idea it was on youtube, but found it. It's a good slice of history; a lot of people tend to feel like this 37 years later, but you seem to rarely hear about it.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJ_okAgAUGE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJ_okAgAUGE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

sonnyp
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
dean,

i can only speak for myself. as a young boy and man, i felt this was a wonderful place. one that was hardworking and strong with insightful leadership that strived to do the right thing both home and abroad.

we had a great history and legacy as your clip states with clarity.....one that i was truely proud of and proud to be an american.

dean, i must say i regret to tell you that, now, i as an individual feel we're not the same place anymore. somewhere along the line we've lost our way.

we've lost all the principles which made us different and great and seperated us from the rest of the world. we've lost the pride of being "better" and we now look to being part of the "one world" society. rather than attempt to bring the others up.......we, now, prefer to sink to their level.

i could go on, but won't bore you.

history tells us that all great societies erode and implode from within. greece, rome, egypt etc.

dean, perhaps history has taken it's toll but this, simply, is not the same place as it once was.

NJ Stinks
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
That clip is great. No doubt about it. :ThmbUp:

The problem is the year. We just spent 10 years in Vietnam. Back then you couldn't separate 1973 from the Vietnam War no matter how hard you tried. Or at least the rest of the world couldn't at the time and neither could I.

46zilzal
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
That was a very long time ago and the corporations did not call the shots as they do today and everyday

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
dean,

i can only speak for myself. as a young boy and man, i felt this was a wonderful place. one that was hardworking and strong with insightful leadership that strived to do the right thing both home and abroad.

we had a great history and legacy as your clip states with clarity.....one that i was truely proud of and proud to be an american.

dean, i must say i regret to tell you that, now, i as an individual feel we're not the same place anymore. somewhere along the line we've lost our way.

we've lost all the principles which made us different and great and seperated us from the rest of the world. we've lost the pride of being "better" and we now look to being part of the "one world" society. rather than attempt to bring the others up.......we, now, prefer to sink to their level.

i could go on, but won't bore you.

history tells us that all great societies erode and implode from within. greece, rome, egypt etc.

dean, perhaps history has taken it's toll but this, simply, is not the same place as it once was. Bull ****, the USA is still the greatest country on earth. No one else is even close. When Haiti has an earth quake who was there The USA. Other countries have helped but is the USA that doing the heavy lifting. Sure we some minor economic problems just like we did in the early 70s, but we over come them. We have in the past and will again. We made a mistake in Vietnam and paid dearly for it, but we overcame it. We may have made another in Iraq, but we can will put this behind us too. The only real enemies we have live in caves and can only attack us by a some sneaky suicide mission. There is not a major power with anything close to our military might. We are own worst enemy squabbling among ourselves, but we have always been that way and maybe that what makes us great. Somehow we have always come together the going gets tough, we will again. The saying "When going gets though,the tough get going" is about the USA. Sure we have our doubters, they have always been wrong before and the are wrong now. One thing else while it is nice to hear some praise from some other country, we really don't need it. We have always known that we destined for great things. Other people know it too, which is why so many try to get here. Their actions speak louder than any words.

sonnyp
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Bull ****, the USA is still the greatest country on earth. No one else is even close. When Haiti has an earth quake who was there The USA. Other countries have helped but is the USA that doing the heavy lifting. Sure we some minor economic problems just like we did in the early 70s, but we over come them. We have in the past and will again. We made a mistake in Vietnam and paid dearly for it, but we overcame it. We may have made another in Iraq, but we can will put this behind us too. The only real enemies we have live in caves and can only attack us by a some sneaky suicide mission. There is not a major power with anything close to our military might. We are own worst enemy squabbling among ourselves, but we have always been that way and maybe that what makes us great. Somehow we have always come together the going gets tough, we will again. The saying "When going gets though,the tough get going" is about the USA. Sure we have our doubters, they have always been wrong before and the are wrong now. One thing else while it is nice to hear some praise from some other country, we really don't need it. We have always known that we destined for great things. Other people know it too, which is why so many try to get here. Their actions speak louder than any words.

this was exactly what they were telling nero as rome burned.

i said i spoke only for myself. that's my story and im sticking with it.

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
And how long did Rome last after Nero was dead and gone?

sonnyp
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
you should ask hannibal ,that barbarian who accomplished the impossible against the inpregnable roman empire

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
you should ask hannibal ,that barbarian who accomplished the impossible against the inpregnable roman empireHannibal had been dead for over 2 centuries before Nero was born. ;)

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
And those who slept through world history class, Nero had been dead for nearly 4 centuries, when the Vandals sacked Rome in 455 AD.

sonnyp
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Hannibal had been dead for over 2 centuries before Nero was born. ;)

and, without all that "modern technology", he was still able to get that army and all those elephants over the alps !!!

Tom
02-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Sure we have our doubters, they have always been wrong before and the are wrong now. One thing else while it is nice to hear some praise from some other country, we really don't need it. We have always known that we destined for great things. Other people know it too, which is why so many try to get here. Their actions speak louder than any words.

Amen Brother.
For all the so-called disdain the world has for us, we never fail to help when needed and no one ever rejects it.

BlueShoe
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Nero had been dead for nearly 4 centuries, when the Vandals sacked Rome in 455 AD.
Actually, Alaric and his Visigoths did the job a bit earlier, in 410, although, as stated, the Vandals did it again 45 years later. Historians consider the 410 event as much more significant than the 455 one. Just a bit of trivia from a history buff---.

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Actually, Alaric and his Visigoths did the job a bit earlier, in 410, although, as stated, the Vandals did it again 45 years later. Historians consider the 410 event as much more significant than the 455 one. Just a bit of trivia from a history buff---.You are right.

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 04:16 PM
and, without all that "modern technology", he was still able to get that army and all those elephants over the alps !!! He actually lost half of 38,000 man army and all but of very few of his 37 elephants in crossing the Alps.