PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Switches and Beyers

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to figure out how much a certain jockey on average improves a horse's Beyers when switching an another jockey. I tried to this this before I got a computer and I did my own speed ratings a couple of times, but gave it up because it was too much work and too time consuming.

gm10
02-25-2010, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to figure out how much a certain jockey on average improves a horse's Beyers when switching an another jockey. I tried to this this before I got a computer and I did my own speed ratings a couple of times, but gave it up because it was too much work and too time consuming.

Interesting angle ... I keep stats for their win % when they switch horses but not their speed rating improvement

Charlie D
02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
You would probably be better looking at this another way Robert. ie: How much does a certain jockey booking reduce the horses Beyer

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
That too

Trotman
02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
RG you are the master of the one liners,your signature line
broke me up :lol: you really should think about tv.

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 01:37 PM
broke me up :lol: you really should think about tv.Thank you, but the credit goes to fellow PA poster, rwwupl. I will take credit for being smart enough to steal it.;)

acorn54
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
i think it is a form of intellectual masterbation to try to figure out how much a jock affects the horses performance. granted there are isolated instances of jocks just being a human anchor but it a jock is incompetent he doesn't stay as a jockey very long.

Robert Goren
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
broke me up :lol: you really should think about tv.In a shameless plug, Criminal Intent returns March 30 at 10pm on the USA network.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
In a shameless plug, Criminal Intent returns March 30 at 10pm on the USA network.Why do you always seem to get thrown way out there on USA? I always thought you were the best of the L&O bunch, yet you've been relegated to basic cable in recent years...damn shame...

PS. Loved you in FMJ

Tuffmug
02-26-2010, 06:02 PM

This is a Chicken vs. Egg question. Did the horse improve because of the switch to a better jock or did the trainer book the better jock because he knew his horse was ready to improve? I view positive jock switch as the later, an indicator of trainer intent. Lesser jock could probably have gotten same improvement but trainer wanted to be sure that he got the best ride for his improving horse.

Robert Goren
02-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I did this along time ago at a small local Q-horse track and some jockeys moved horses way up or way down. It wasn't always the top jockeys who moved a horse up the most. In fact the top mover was about 7th or 8th in the standings. The real sad part is she got caught smoking grass and suspended for last 2 weeks of the meet. She had given some really nice winners. It was a lot easier to do with Q-horses because there were not very many jockeys to deal with. I was just wondering if anybody had tried it T-breds.

cj
02-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I think every rider would need a rating in terms of Beyer points. Maybe Dominguez is a +2, and Alan Garcia a -5. If Dominguez takes over a Garcia horse you give him a +7. It would be a combo of Charlie and Goren's ideas.

Robert Goren
02-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I think every rider would need a rating in terms of Beyer points. Maybe Dominguez is a +2, and Alan Garcia a -5. If Dominguez takes over a Garcia horse you give him a +7. It would be a combo of Charlie and Goren's ideas.That what I am talking about. I am just wondering if anyone has tried to do it. I can't believe that I am the only person who has thought of do it.

bisket
02-26-2010, 06:57 PM
i use cj's thought process with a little twist. i just think certain jocks move certain style runners up. for instance i like both prado and johnny v on horses that may stretching there distance capabilities. i also like these two on head strong front runner types. lots of times these two types of runners are one and the same. these two jocks have nice soft hands, and can tend to settle a horse better than others.
now take gomez. if he's on the runner just described above, drop the horse from the trifecta. witness his ride on hard spun in the belmont. i don't think i've seen a better wrasslin match on wwf pay per view ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URl70KylKZg
i've watched gomez do this many times on his mounts and take them out of a race.
although if gomez is on a more passive type of horse that needs a strong type of jock to urge them gomez moves the horse up. like any other sport notice jocks strengths and weaknesses, and use it. incidentally i put dominguez in with prado and johnnie as a soft hands type.

BombsAway Bob
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I did this along time ago at a small local Q-horse track and some jockeys moved horses way up or way down. It wasn't always the top jockeys who moved a horse up the most. In fact the top mover was about 7th or 8th in the standings. The real sad part is she got caught smoking grass and suspended for last 2 weeks of the meet. She had given some really nice winners. It was a lot easier to do with Q-horses because there were not very many jockeys to deal with. I was just wondering if anybody had tried it T-breds.
I've been keeping nightly Los Al notes & final furlong times for close to 2 years now, & I noticed Francisco Rubio instantly made horses a contender in races @300Y or 220Yards, because he always seems to time the break & get a horse out clean. (Doesn't hurt he rides for a QH"supertrainer" 2nd call, either!)
In Los Al T'Bred races, Victor Navarro & Jay Conklin seem to turn plodders into good breakers, & with $2,000 claimers, being on the front end is a very good thing. Guce is the top T'Bred guy, but he's always an underlay. Conklin does better on QH's because he's first call for trainer Jim Hanson, who'd probably be a 40% Harness trainer if they ran them there!