PDA

View Full Version : House repeals antitrust exemption for health insurers

highnote
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
The House voted today to repeal the antitrust exemption given to insurance companies.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Robert Goren
02-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes

andymays
02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
How about the House repealing themeselves. :ThmbUp:

It would benefit the entire country. :ThmbUp:

Just Sayin. ;)

Leonard
02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
The House voted today to repeal the antitrust exemption given to insurance companies.

Do you think this is a good idea?

I am all for a competitive, free market so, yes.

It is very surprising to me to find the repeal was passed overwhelmingly by both parties. What I find interesting are the reasons that each party went along with the repeal of the antitrust exemption.

The Republicans, with a few notable exceptions, voted in favor of the repeal because the measure supports free market principles and will, hopefully, introduce competition in locked markets which will lower health insurance costs. There is no way that any Republican should have voted against the measure. IT IS ONE OF THEIR OWN HEALTHCARE REFORM PROPOSALS.
The thread regarding the hypocrisy of Republicans certainly applies to the handful of Republicans that voted against this measure, imho.

Many of the Democrats who voted in favor of the measure did so as a cold, calculated gamble. They are hoping this measure will assist them in future government expansion in two ways. 1) They expect prices will drop insignificantly through a free market application so they may later say, "see, we tried a Republican idea and it just doesn't live up to the hype" and 2)the industry is now open to antitrust lawsuits which they believe will drive up insurance costs -- while aiding their donor friends the trial lawyers who now have a giant, previously off-limits, industry to go after. After they point to problems in the industry they may go after strict federal oversight of it with gusto.

No matter the reasons behind voting for the repeal, I am all for it.

ArlJim78
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I have no problem with it. A small step in the right direction.

Tom
02-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Even a drunk steps in every direction at some point.

riskman
02-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Not all insurance companies are in favor of this legislation. It gave a lot of companies a reason why they would not accept risk in certain states. It will also be interesting to see how the state insurance departments will handle this issue ie. licensing and financial ratings.