PDA

View Full Version : Ray Paulick: SYNTHETIC TRACKS? NO MOSS

johnhannibalsmith
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
In honor of Andy, since he hasn't linked it up yet, and in traditional Andy format (where the hell are you with this one Andy?), I figure I'll save him the work and get the ball rolling with this rather good interview with Mr. Moss...

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/p...tracks-no-moss/

Excerpt:

Moss also serves on the California Horse Racing Board, having been appointed by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2004. He was the only member of that panel not to vote in favor of the synthetic track mandate when it was proposed in 2006. Moss abstained, believing more research and study was needed before such a significant change was enacted. He, along with Zenyatta’s trainer, John Shirreffs, have become critics of the synthetic surfaces. Moss spoke with the Paulick Report about the synthetic track controversy and a variety of other subjects.

Let’s go back to 2006 when the push was made for synthetic tracks. What was your position?
I frankly wasn’t prepared for the speed at which this was enacted. I thought we needed more data and felt we shouldn’t be rushing off to do this, causing tracks to spend $40 million based on one season at Turfway Park. Yet if you were in the room that day–and the truth is every vendor, Polytrack, Cushion Track, Tapeta, they all had people show up and do demonstrations—that meeting was hell bent on doing this. There were only five commissioners present, and the overall support from TOC and CTT (Thoroughbred Owners of California and California Thoroughbred Trainers), and particularly from two trainers, Richard Mandella and Howard Zucker, was rampant. The room was rocking to do this.
First I made a statement that we should all study it enough to pick one surface and be consistent and no one took that seriously. We could have managed it better with maintenance. We took this vote, and I was hoping someone would stand up and say, ‘You can’t do this.’ I said, ‘I abstain, I think we need more time.’

We had been fortunate enough to win the Kentucky Derby the previous year with Giacomo, and I felt these tracks would make it so much more difficult for the owner of a California horse to achieve the dream, to win the Derby. Sometimes you can train on Polytrack and do well, but it’s hard to race on it and transfer the same form to dirt.
The nature of the tracks changes every day. We run on three different synthetic tracks in Southern California and a fourth, quite different track, is at Golden Gate (near San Francisco), and every one of them changes every day. It’s been very hard for trainers to build up the strength of horses on these tracks.

With John Sadler now president of CTT, an open poll of trainers came up with a 70% vote to reinstall dirt. I hope we live up to that. I think it’s a big, divisive thing that’s happened. We have enough divisiveness. If Santa Anita takes the lead and installs a dirt track, it would become the center of racing again in the U.S.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/p...tracks-no-moss/

andymays
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been busy emailing these articles around the country and the world.

Good Article. The web of lies put out by the synthetic geeks is unraveling as we speak.

rwwupl
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I've been busy emailing these articles around the country and the world.

Good Article. The web of lies put out by the synthetic geeks is unraveling as we speak.

When I entered the track at Santa Anita the other day,the parking attendents all were shouting out to me that we were going to have dirt at Santa Anita... and you can count on it.

I hope they are right. :)

Kimsus
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
From what I read in the report this relatively old news, nothing earth shattering new in this article.

Niko
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
If Santa Anita goes back to dirt please mandate that all the tracks in the state do.

I like handicapping poly so I'm not opposed to it, but as a player I am opposed to trying to figure out how a horse will handle a new surface all the time.

I don't know about other players but overall I'm still not smart enough to figure out which poly horses will excel on dirt (early speed on poly isn't enough for me) and vice versa the first time out. Workouts are the only clue and I'm not a clocker.

Congrats to those that know how to take advantage of it though... and get ready for some serious pick 6 carryovers once again if they're running dirt and different synthetics.

andymays
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
From what I read in the report this relatively old news, nothing earth shattering new in this article.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67030

joanied
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Very good article...I guess it's not too little, too late, because I see no way SA will install another fake surface...and I hope the other tracks change back to dirt also.
IMO, they were all just like politicians...shove it down your throat and hope you don't like it.

andymays: :jump: :ThmbUp: :jump: once dirt is back...I'll go to SA and dance on the track;)

andymays
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Very good article...I guess it's not too little, too late, because I see no way SA will install another fake surface...and I hope the other tracks change back to dirt also.
IMO, they were all just like politicians...shove it down your throat and hope you don't like it.

andymays: :jump: :ThmbUp: :jump: once dirt is back...I'll go to SA and dance on the track;)

I have refused to go there since they went to the dark side in 2007. When they go back to dirt I will be there. Santa Anita will once again be my favorite track of all time. :ThmbUp:

castaway01
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I know I'm a troll and stalker if I point this out, but there were 5-horse fields on the dirt....how do you get more horses to actually run in CA?

andymays
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I know I'm a troll and stalker if I point this out, but there were 5-horse fields on the dirt....how do you get more horses to actually run in CA?

Synthetic surfaces were supposed to change all that and we were supposed to have large fields by now because of the increased safety of the synthetic surface. That is another broken promise from the synthetic advocates.

California has bigger problems than the surface but going back to dirt will be a good first step.

joanied
02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I have refused to go there since they went to the dark side in 2007. When they go back to dirt I will be there. Santa Anita will once again be my favorite track of all time. :ThmbUp:

Hell, andy...I've never been there (when I left NY, my plan was to go there, but a twist of fate ended that)...but, I would go if you promise me that dance :jump: on the dirt;) :D ;)

andymays
02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Hell, andy...I've never been there (when I left NY, my plan was to go there, but a twist of fate ended that)...but, I would go if you promise me that dance :jump: on the dirt;) :D ;)

If you promise not to laugh........... In my will I wanted my ashes to be scattered on the downhill turf course. I changed that when they went synthetic. Now I'm going to change it again.

The Lawyers always end up with the money. :lol:

joanied
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
If you promise not to laugh........... In my will I wanted my ashes to be scattered on the downhill turf course. I changed that when they went synthetic. Now I'm going to change it again.

The Lawyers always end up with the money. :lol:

Laugh...are you kidding...I asked that my ashes be spread at Belmont Park...
get your dancin' shoes ready, andymays:jump:

andymays
02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Laugh...are you kidding...I asked that my ashes be spread at Belmont Park...
get your dancin' shoes ready, andymays:jump:

Ashes to ashes and dust ot dust............................ If you don't love the horses then you just aint like us. :eek:

joanied
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Ashes to ashes and dust ot dust............................ If you don't love the horses then you just aint like us. :eek:

Amen to that :ThmbUp:
:) :) :)

elhelmete
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I LOVE the downhill course. I can't believe more people don't make a killing betting those races.

Dan H
02-24-2010, 09:22 PM
In my will I wanted my ashes to be scattered on the downhill turf course.

Geesh, another track bias we'll have to account for ... thanks, Andy

Indulto
02-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Ashes to ashes and dust ot dust............................
If you don't love the horses then you just aint like us. :eek:Ashes to ashes, dust into dust
You can't take it with you so go when you're bust.
But without a marker, how can you trust
That your love for the game won't go unnoticed?

Scattered on synthetic is reserved for the pathetic
Dispersed on dirt appears a tad more aesthetic
Sprinkled on turf might feel more empathetic,
But added to DRF newsprint seems positively eclectic.

Stillriledup
02-25-2010, 07:01 AM
its going to be a huge mess getting ALL the So Cal tracks to go back to dirt. Hollywood is running meet to meet so i dont know if they're going to want to spend a bunch of money to switch surfaces only to be bulldozed a few months later. DMR seems hell bent on keeping poly and refuses to admit they were terribly wrong about installing it in the first place. Santa Anita seems like they're going to be the first ones to make a move.

Of course, i'll believe it when i see it.

andymays
02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Geesh, another track bias we'll have to account for ... thanks, Andy

Good One! :ThmbUp:

I'll specify that they have to spread them as evenly as possible. :)

andymays
02-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Ashes to ashes, dust into dust
You can't take it with you so go when you're bust.
But without a marker, how can you trust
That your love for the game won't go unnoticed?

Scattered on synthetic is reserved for the pathetic
Dispersed on dirt appears a tad more aesthetic
Sprinkled on turf might feel more empathetic,
But added to DRF newsprint seems positively eclectic.

You da man Indy! :ThmbUp:

gm10
02-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Why would miss out on two Breeders Cups in a row when it's just down the road from you? You still go to Del Mar, you say. Sorry, doesn't make any sense.