PDA

View Full Version : White Turf racing

point given
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Looks like fun, but hard to handicap.

I'd read about it but never seen it

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/multimedia/video/White_turf.html?lastTopic=%252Feng%252Fsport%252Fi ndex.html%253Fcid%253D63854&topicName=Sport&cid=8312674

Grits
02-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Talk about slipping.:rolleyes: Wonder if they're wearing Toe Grabs?

Greyfox
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Interesting video. Thanks for posting it:ThmbUp: .

InTheRiver68
02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
$80,000 in the mutuel pools.

I like the harness racing, where the sulkies are on skis. Oh, and the races where the jockeys are on skis, getting pulled behind the horses.

Ha!

- InTheRiver68

Horseplayersbet.com
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I wonder if California is thinking about switching to this surface.

Watcher
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm planning on going to this next year. Has anyone been?

Java Gold@TFT
02-23-2010, 05:54 AM
Looks like the best solution to finding a neutral surface for Zenyatta and Rachel to finally get together.

DJofSD
02-23-2010, 08:42 AM
I wonder if California is thinking about switching to this surface.
Naw, California would want to substitute a safe snow replacement invented in Australia while some politically connected offical gets a kick back, then, they'd rationalized it by claiming global warming precludes them from using natural snow.

But, on a more practical note, running horses over snow makes me wonder how they prevent snow from building up on the bottom side of the hoof. I know that sometimes a grease application of some kind is used.

Scanman
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm planning on going to this next year. Has anyone been?
I have and it was a blast. For most, it's a once in a lifetime racing experience. We were living in Belgium at the time and was trying to visit a track in Germany that cancelled, so we decided to give St. Moritz a try. We were in and out the same day, very lucky that none of the roads through the mountain passes weren't closed. Are you planning an extended stay? I'd be curious to hear about your itinerary.

Next year, I too am planning a trip to Switzerland for the "White Turf", but I will be attending the races at Arosa that preceed St. Moritz. Arosa is a lower level meeting, but they still race on a snow covered frozen lake. Unlike St. Moritz, Arosa has a hurdle race on their card that should be interesting.

I plan to arrive in Chur the day before, then take the train to Arosa, stay for the races, then train back to Chur. After a night in Chur, I will be off to some racing in Italy and southern France.

You definately has something special to look forward to.

Scanman
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Talk about slipping.:rolleyes: Wonder if they're wearing Toe Grabs?
Here's a diagram of the shoes.

thespaah
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
pretty coool!!!!

Norm
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Great video ! The perfect place here would be Lake Placid, NY where they already have world-class, Olympic quality amenities. And, it's not that far from Saratoga.