PDA

View Full Version : Turf Paradise: time to go synthetic?

gm10
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
They've probably lost about 8 race dates so far this year. The clay just washes away when it rains. It's one of my preferred dirt tracks, but maybe a switch to the synthetic would be better for everyone.

tzipi
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Well I hope they don't put in the fake stuff Santa Anita has. How many dates have they missed recently with their all weather stuff?

mountainman
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
They've probably lost about 8 race dates so far this year. The clay just washes away when it rains. It's one of my preferred dirt tracks, but maybe a switch to the synthetic would be better for everyone.

Carpet fibers and super ball bits? Better than one of america's archetype surfaces?? Blaspheme sir! BLASPHEME I SAY!!!!!!

Backstretch Pirate
02-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Not hard to see what your agenda is. I think the name of your website says it all. :ThmbDown:

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
All i can say is, thank gawd this gm10 has no say in what any track does

gm10
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Not hard to see what your agenda is. I think the name of your website says it all. :ThmbDown:

My agenda is betting. Not much of it at Turf Paradise tonight.

gm10
02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
All i can say is, thank gawd this gm10 has no say in what any track does

Hey Charlie, you may say that, but there's clearly something wrong isn't there. They keep canceling day after day. Imagine if this was Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields.

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

So take day off or seek help.

Robert Goren
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
The Anti-Poly people can't take joke. Remember that GM 10.

gm10
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
So take day off or seek help.

Great advice. Someone phone track management, we've got a solution.

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Charlie, you may say that, but there's clearly something wrong isn't there. They keep canceling day after day. Imagine if this was Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields.

Santa Anita, Aqueduct, York, Plumpton etc ALL have cancellations when Mother Nature says your not playing today

gm10
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Santa Anita, Aqueduct, York, Plumpton etc ALL have cancellations when Mother Nature says your not playing today

Yep, but the synthetic seems more robust than the dirt wrt bad weather. That's why they call it the all-weather surface I guess.

tzipi
02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
They keep canceling day after day. Imagine if this was Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields.

gm10,
How many days did Santa Anita cancel on their all weather track recently because of rain?
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=17504

Yup your right,imagine Santa Anita did this. :D

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Yep, but the synthetic seems more robust than the dirt wrt bad weather. That's why they call it the all-weather surface I guess.

No they call it ALL Weather surface because of muppets in press and bollox from sales reps, it's not immune to Mother Nature, just like turf and Dirt.

cj
02-22-2010, 02:21 PM
No they call it ALL Weather surface because of muppets in press and bollox from sales reps, it's not immune to Mother Nature, just like turf and Dirt.

Other than Santa Anita, I don't remember any of the all weather tracks canceling for track conditions. Bad weather making travel poor, sure, but not the track itself.

That said, a few days without racing isn't exactly the worst thing for tracks or bettors.

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
CJ

UK synthetic tracks have been cancelled in past because of safety

Poly Ice balls being thrown up at horse and jockeys, but this character seems to forget about these instances when it suits.

Backstretch Pirate
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Free daily ratings at latekick.com

You have an agenda. :cool:

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Mother Nature does not care if it's synth, turf or Dirt

Race meetings scheduled for Southwell are being transferred, with the 6 July event going to Wolverhampton and two others moving to Lingfield. Cancelled meetings could cost Southwell in the region of £1m while repairs to the all-weather track may cost £1.5m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/6253838.stm

mountainman
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Fake versus real. Both sides have ardent supporters. Gee, anybody noticed which side is winning lately?

rwwupl
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Real gamblers drive Toyotas. :)

gm10
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Mother Nature does not care if it's synth, turf or Dirt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/6253838.stm

Trainers in North England are now asking why they don't have any all weather tracks up north. It was impossible to do anything on turf during much of January. And they couldn't drive to South England all weather tracks because of the icy conditions.

All weather surfaces are less vulnerable to weather conditions. Especially when they have been properly installed which may not have been the case at Santa Anita.

RXB
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
CJ

UK synthetic tracks have been cancelled in past because of safety

Poly Ice balls being thrown up at horse and jockeys, but this character seems to forget about these instances when it suits.

Being in England, you should know that Southwell races on Fibresand, not Polytrack.

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Yer and if i had a hoss that mainly raced on synth i'd want a track on my doorstep too as less costs help me stay in business.

RXB yep i do, however, Fibresand, Poly, Pro-Ride = synthetic bud

Tom
02-22-2010, 03:52 PM
They lost 2 days last year and 3 days in 2008.

Yup...time to rip'er up! :rolleyes:

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
They lost 2 days last year and 3 days in 2008.

Yup...time to rip'er up! :rolleyes:

Lets rip it all up and go syth in UK, France, US, Aus, HK etc and have done with this debate.

RXB
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
RXB yep i do, however, Fibresand, Poly, Pro-Ride = synthetic bud

You referred to "Poly iceballs" when in fact it's the Fibresand track at Southwell that delivers iceballs, bud. Try finding anybody who wants to install a Fibresand track.

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
You referred to "Poly iceballs" when in fact it's the Fibresand track at Southwell that delivers iceballs, bud. Try finding anybody who wants to install a Fibresand track.

I didn't refer to any track in that post RXB did i?? To my knowing the poly ball problems rmainly occured at Wolverhampton - Polytrack

46zilzal
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
in that heat? it would be a dumb move

Charlie D
02-22-2010, 04:04 PM

You don't fancy capping a sticky toffee surface then Zil :D

johnhannibalsmith
02-22-2010, 04:08 PM
If Turf Paradise won't replace the televisions at the $5.00 tables that have been broken for three years, I don't see much chance of replacing the track. Aside from which, the last two cancellations only seem loosely related to the track condition - it seems a convenient excuse more than anything.

andymays
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
If Turf Paradise won't replace the televisions at the $5.00 tables that have been broken for three years, I don't see much chance of replacing the track. Aside from which, the last two cancellations only seem loosely related to the track condition - it seems a convenient excuse more than anything.

They would riot if they went synthetic.

I Think Chip Wooley said the same thing about Sunland if they wanted to go synthetic.

mountainman
02-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Lets rip it all up and go syth in UK, France, US, Aus, HK etc and have done with this debate.

And then lay it on driveways, ball fields, playgrounds and gardens. In fact, why not replace major roads with the stuff? Wouldn't vehicles go slower and traffic deaths decrease sharply with people ejected onto cushion-track instead of concrete? Why, GOD WILLING, (PATRIOTIC FLUTE-kind of like in Green Acres-RISES IN BACKGROUND) the unsafe sand on our beaches and deadly grass in our yards could someday be synthetic!! After all, nothing says progress like polymers and carpet fibers!!!!!

bob77713
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Anyone remember when they used to move the races from dirt to turf when it would rain? It would absolutely trip some people out.

Robert Goren
02-22-2010, 11:47 PM
In fact, why not replace major roads with the stuff? They haven't had a major dirt road in over 80 years.

nijinski
02-23-2010, 12:27 AM

My thoughts also , I thought these surfaces get very hot.

Boats
02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
A bigger problem with TUP is their takeout on straight bets, .20. It's the highest in the states.

This very unusual rainy season will pass.

RXB
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I didn't refer to any track in that post RXB did i?? To my knowing the poly ball problems rmainly occured at Wolverhampton - Polytrack

I checked and you are indeed correct; they did have that problem at Wolverhampton. Southwell's infamous Fibresand track has a lot of kickback problems, worse than most Polytrack surfaces, but there were frozen clumps flying at Wolverhampton. (I guess I shouldn't argue about British racing with a local, should I?)

Hosshead
02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Great idea, maybe TuP can spread the PolyCrap around the cactus too.

mountainman
02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
They haven't had a major dirt road in over 80 years.

Then tear up and replace all that hazardous concrete. Aren't human lives just as important as horse's?