PDA

View Full Version : The Power & the Glory begin tonight

Rookies
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
As Canada waxes America. Thinking 5-1. :cool:

Wakeup call after that O.T. shootout thriller versus the Red Cross.

woodtoo
02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Canada 16_USA 3, this afternoon in Kandahar...tougher game tonite :D
should be a real barnburner

miesque
02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't dare predict the outcome, but I do know I am very psyched about this game, been waiting for it. :jump:

By the way - what a cutie your avatar is Woodtoo

cj's dad
02-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't dare predict the outcome, but I do know I am very psyched about this game, been waiting for it. :jump:

By the way - what a cutie your avatar is Woodtoo

If Woodtoo is a female I guess it's a nice avatar-

If Woodtoo is a male- further proof of the feminization of males in

America !!!!!

miesque
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM

America !!!!!

I really miss having a kitty, so I admit that is why I am partial to that avatar :)

woodtoo
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM

America !!!!!

Wish I could fit my 150 lb. Bernese moutain dog in there,but I do like pussies ;)

Rookies
02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Better response there Woodtoo... ;) :lol:

miesque
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Well that wasn't exactly the tightest executed hockey, but the intensity level was through the roof and they came out of the gate swinging. Go USA!!! :jump:

PhantomOnTour
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooal.....

U S A

miesque
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
That was a hell of a game. The Canadians looked a bit stunned at the end. :D

headhawg
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Wakeup call after that O.T. shootout thriller versus the Red Cross.Yeah. Some waxing, eh?. :rolleyes: Ryan Miller was outstanding and Brodeur is not what he once was. Canada's power play was lacking as well. It looks like the Canucks can't take the pressure of playing in the home country.

Dave Schwartz
02-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks to me like the Americans brought their A-goalie. Like two-thirds of the game is played in front of our net and we still win?

Amazing!

boomman
02-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Looks to me like the Americans brought their A-goalie. Like two-thirds of the game is played in front of our net and we still win?

Amazing!

Dave: It semed to me like 7/8ths of the game was played in front of the U.S. net! Ryan Miller was fantastic!!! Great win for the US team in a gritty effort against a very good Canadian team!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

:) Boomer

cj's dad
02-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Wakeup call after that O.T. shootout thriller versus the Red Cross.

I guess " Oh Canada"

will renamed "Oy Canada"

miesque
02-22-2010, 09:10 AM
I guess " Oh Canada"

will renamed "Oy Canada"

:D

Well it would appear that Canada will have a more immediate problem since it looks like they are on track to meet up with Russia in the semi-finals.

BillW
02-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Well it would appear that Canada will have a more immediate problem since it looks like they are on track to meet up with Russia in the semi-finals.

Quarters!

miesque
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Quarters!

Opps, I was just making plans with a friend for Friday Hockey to watch both Semi final matches so I have that on the mind.

cj's dad
02-22-2010, 11:18 AM

From the Washington Caps roster:

Alexander Ovechkin

Alexander Semin

Sergei Federov

USA / Russian final would be awesome !!

Jay Trotter
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Way to go CJD.......you just put the Jinx on your team! :jump:

From the Washington Caps roster:

Alexander Ovechkin

Alexander Semin

Sergei Federov

USA / Russian final would be awesome !!

cj's dad
02-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Not really a huge fan, more like casual. The Caps are on locally here, and I am in awe of the things 8 can do. He reminds me in a way of the Orioles Brooks Robinson; that is you have to see him on a daily basis to appreciate how amazingly good he is.

Jay Trotter
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
The Power and the Glory Part II

CANADA vs. USA

Women's Ice Hockey Gold Medal Game

Thursday, February 25, at 3:30 PM PST

Let the "smack talk" begin

Hopefully, NBC will show it "live"!

If not you can call me for updates!
:lol:

eastie
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
it would be something if the Canadians didn't even medal....Where's Coach cherry when you need him?

Rookies
02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I give it ALL to Ryan Miller for Das Jankees ( known locally on WGR-550 Buffalo) as 'Mr. Softy, when he lets a few clunkers go through. He was LIGHTS OUT stopping 42 of 45! Team Canada would like another shot at him! ;)

As for the ladies, Team Canada should win, but it appears , that even with the tremendous home crowd advantage, it's difficult to win on home ice. That's what happened to USA the last time on their turf. This Gold Medal game is MUCH more closely matched than the men's.

Canada up 4-0 v.s. the Germans in the 2nd. as I enter this one. I've already heard this old chestnut today (2010 version) on more than one Canadian Radio station...

"And if on the morrow it should come to pass that the Germans defeat us at our national game, let us take comfort from the fact we beat them at theirs .... twice." :lol:

Canada will have the tough road v.s. the (now) Capitalist Commies lead by Ovechkin. Should be a great gamne, if you can stay up to midnite's start!

miesque
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
"And if on the morrow it should come to pass that the Germans defeat us at our national game, let us take comfort from the fact we beat them at theirs .... twice." :lol:

:lol: Thats a good one!

Rookies
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Miesque...

1966 World Cup Soccer Final England v.s. Germany.

Believe it was a BBC Announcer- one of the most famous sports quotes of ALL time ! :ThmbUp:

miesque
02-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I am watching this game thinking it that was a particular Germany jersey that would be cool to get (well at least for me:cool: )

Miesque...

1966 World Cup Soccer Final England v.s. Germany.

Believe it was a BBC Announcer- one of the most famous sports quotes of ALL time ! :ThmbUp:

I did not know that, thanks for the tidbit. :)

Rookies
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
HERE WE GO !

The ' Gold Medal ' Game about to drop the puck in the 1/4s.

GO CANADA GO !:ThmbUp:

Rookies
02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
1-0 good guys after the first 10 minutes and dominating with crushing checks and shots on goal.

U.S. Ref calls the first penalty agisnt Team Canada. :rolleyes: I would have given the Russian a 9.9 for his Summer Olympics dive...;)

Rookies
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
2-0 after 13 minutes. :ThmbUp:

Rookies
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
3-0 after 13.5 minutes :jump: Time for my 3rd. Grand Marnier !:cool:

Rookies
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
4-1 1st. Intermission:p

miesque
02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Canada is being much more dominant over Russia then I anticipated, I thought it would be a little closer. However, there are still more periods to go. Good game so far though!

Rookies
02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Bob Mackenzie of TSN just mentioned that it was the most dominant period of Canadian Olympic Hockey since the Pros returned to the Olympics about 20 years ago.

Completely agree- Goals, Play, Hits- Overwhelming... but, it's a looooong game. Talk about pulling Nabokov, because of the shelling.

Rookies
02-24-2010, 08:31 PM
5-1 4 minutes into the 2nd.:cool:

6-1 One Minute later...

SEE YA NABOKOV ! :blush:

6-2 next minute. Thank God I took the Over (6) ... Think, it'll be over by a TD at games' end.:lol:

miesque
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
5-1 4 minutes into the 2nd.:cool:

6-1 One Minute later...

SEE YA NABOKOV ! :blush:

:D It was getting pretty bad. But that did make a difference as Russia scores, so now 6-2

Rookies
02-24-2010, 08:43 PM
7-2 The blitzkrieg continues half way through...

Rookies
02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
7-3 after two.:eek:

miesque
02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
As one of the analysts just said, this is an old-fashioned thrashing. :D

johnhannibalsmith
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Ordinarily, 7-3 after two could be called a win. These Russian boys make that type of assessment quite a bit tougher, contrary to what Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick just got done saying precisely as I was midway through the sentence... laf... Plus, your Canadiens played the last half of the period like it was pond hockey - they weren't exactly looking inpenetrable... ;) Go Canada... hang on to win by a goal, 8-7!!!! :kiss:

Rookies
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
TSN just said it differently

" Don't take your foot off the head of a snake ! ":lol:

Should everything go according to plan:

Semi's:
U.S. v.s. Czechs
Canada v.s. Swedes

Gold Medal:
Revenge Sat night served wih ice cold Molson's/ Labatt's ! ;)

miesque
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough hit taken by Stall

Rookies
02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
3 minutes to go!

Already the :

" We want Sweden " chants have started, just like We want Russia last night.

OH CANADA coming up, but stopped for a wee 'disturbance'... ;)

eastie
02-24-2010, 11:55 PM
TSN just said it differently

" Don't take your foot off the head of a snake ! ":lol:

Should everything go according to plan:

Semi's:
U.S. v.s. Czechs
Canada v.s. Swedes

Gold Medal:
Revenge Sat night served wih ice cold Molson's/ Labatt's ! ;)

Molson among the worst tasting beer around. Borge Salming playing for the Swedes ?

Rookies
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Gold Medal Women's Final

Canada 2 U.S. 0:cool:

One down... One to Go ! ;)

And trying to " Own the Gold-ium", as both Canadian Curling Teams are playing in the Gold Medal game tomorrow.:jump:

bigmack
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I think I saw it on my rotation. Aired on MSNBC - THE Place for Politics while NBC aired a soap opera. Meanwhile, the big summit was rolling.

Who programs for GE/BC - Ben Gazzara?

headhawg
02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah. Good job by the Canadian women. And they are just the kind I like -- beer-drinkin', cigar-smokin', Zamboni-drivin' hockey nuts. :rolleyes:

IOC investigation (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/olympics/2010/02/26/behavior.hko.ap/index.html?eref=sihp)

Rookies
02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, like anybody is going to listen to the Divine-Right-of-Wanker-Kings ( aka The IOC). Just transfer more $$$ to your Swiss bank accounts you clowns and STFU! :mad:

Maybe if one of you put in 4 minutes of work, rather than 4-8 years, you'd be entitled to a freaking case of Molson's and some vintage Cubans when the goal was reached. As for now- sit down- idgits.

Rookies
02-26-2010, 11:46 PM
EASY :D coast to victory by Team Canada, setting up the much desired Gold Medal game...

miesque
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
EASY :D coast to victory by Team Canada, setting up the much desired Gold Medal game...

Well Slovakia did come back and the end of the game was at least slightly contentious with a 3-2 ending, but yes, we do have the much anticipated Canada vs United States match up on Sunday for the Gold Medal. Should be quite the game and I can't wait. :jump:

headhawg
02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Easy? Early maybe, but the final was 3-2 and Slovakia had every chance to tie that game late. Canada should be favored against the U.S. but that's like betting on the chalk. Smart money is on the American team as they destroyed Finland who if I recall correctly had given up the fewest or 2nd fewest goals in the tourney prior to today's game.

I'm looking forward to the game on Sunday. I think it comes down to goaltending and I'll take Miller over Luongo or Brodeur in a heartbeat. And there's really no pressure on the U.S. team so that also works in their favor.

boomman
02-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Easy? Early maybe, but the final was 3-2 and Slovakia had every chance to tie that game late. Canada should be favored against the U.S. but that's like betting on the chalk. Smart money is on the American team as they destroyed Finland who if I recall correctly had given up the fewest or 2nd fewest goals in the tourney prior to today's game.

I'm looking forward to the game on Sunday. I think it comes down to goaltending and I'll take Miller over Luongo or Brodeur in a heartbeat. And there's really no pressure on the U.S. team so that also works in their favor.

Hardly easy at all, in fact I thought that shot by Slovakia at about 18 seconds to go had gone in. They gave team Canada everything they wanted at the end....Ryan Miller is definitely a red-hot goaltender right now, and as long as they don't play the entire game in front of the US net (like they did even in the US 5-3 victory earlier in the week), The American team certainly has a GREAT chance to win the gold medal game. I think "the price will be right", too......;)

Boomer

Rookies
02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Canada has just tied the All Time Record for Gold Medals in the Winter Games. It is the host countries' most ever.

Sooooooooo.... tomorrow, when they smash the U.S. at Canada's game, they will set an All Time Record.

THAT is what's on the line !

Go Canada Go

& to my lovely PA wife, may the U.S. win a medal tomorrow- Silver.:lol:

headhawg
02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Sooooooooo.... tomorrow, when they smash the U.S. at Canada's game, they will set an All Time Record.You better hope that they do or I wouldn't come around these parts for a while.

Rookies
02-27-2010, 11:10 PM
HH:

I'll be here Win or Win.

But, I'm not somebody who waits until there's 5 ticks on the clock left to claim victory on a game or issue.

headhawg
02-27-2010, 11:16 PM
But, I'm not somebody who waits until there's 5 ticks on the clock left to claim victory on a game or issue.I'm not sure what you're implying but whatever...

Here's hoping for no injuries to Kane, Toews, Keith, or Seabrook. Go Blackhawks. I don't really care about Olympic gold.

Rookies
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
It means any tout can claim a victory after the start of the race and MANY do !:eek:

The Leafs have one of top stars for the Yankees, plus their Coach & GM...
I don't want that boy roughed up too much.

Jay Trotter
02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
What's the difference? It's not like the Leafs are gonna make the playoffs or something! :lol:

It means any tout can claim a victory after the start of the race and MANY do !:eek:

The Leafs have one of top stars for the Yankees, plus their Coach & GM...
I don't want that boy roughed up too much.

miesque
02-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Can't wait for the Gold Medal game this afternoon.

Go USA!!! :jump:

ENOTE96
02-28-2010, 10:42 AM
miller stops e'm cold

woodtoo
02-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Crosby,Stahl,Nash and Young Toews...gotta be a #1 hit :D

Rookies
02-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Glory never in doubt... ;)

Canada sets an all time Winter Olympic record for most Gold Medals with the Crosby Goal...

BillW
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
How about a shout out to Bubbles (A. Champagne) third on the list of highlight editors!!!

http://twitpic.com/15tdqb

Tom
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey Bubbles! :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
WTG Andy!