PDA

View Full Version : Zayat (Eskendereya) Winning KY Derby would be tough pill to swallow

Moyers Pond
02-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Looking at everything that has run so far, it is hard to say that Eskendereya does not look like the horse to beat right now.

The question is, would Zayat winning the KY Derby (god forbid the TC) be a real black eye for horse racing. Hate to say it, but this guy may make IEAH look like saints.

Can you imagine if this guy winds up in jail for insurance fraud involved with his Thorn Song.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10

Maybe he can join the owners of Curlin in their cell. Maybe Fifth Third Bank can accept the trophy for the horse.

I wonder what Fifth Third Bank's silks will look like. :D

FenceBored
02-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Given the logo on their website (http://www.53.com): Green; white 5/3 on blue ball.

miesque
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Well I don't think any horse is easily the Derby winner at this point, there is still a ways to go and several of the contenders are lightly raced and could take significant steps forward between now and the first Saturday in May. However, of all the horses that ran yesterday, I would agree that Eskendreya proved to be the most promising Derby prospect by a pretty solid margin. I will also make the caveat that those SoCal horses running in the Southwest were impacted a bit more by the rescheduling of that race since it meant they not only shipped but actually ran two weeks after the point in time they had originally been aiming for and I expect more from the three of them next out.

As far as being convicted for Insurance Fraud, I cannot make a judgement on that but I do recall an article pointing out that Thorn's Song was no longer owned by Zayat and if an insurance claim was paid on Thorn's Song and then ownership transfered to the insurance company who then sold it (gave it) to this person doing state of the art research on him then that is technically not insurance fraud. Now he may have contractual loan issues with the bank, but that is not necessarily insurance fraud.

Moyers Pond
02-21-2010, 12:46 PM
As far as being convicted for Insurance Fraud, I cannot make a judgement on that but I do recall an article pointing out that Thorn's Song was no longer owned by Zayat and if an insurance claim was paid on Thorn's Song and then ownership transfered to the insurance company who then sold it (gave it) to this person doing state of the art research on him then that is technically not insurance fraud. Now he may have contractual loan issues with the bank, but that is not necessarily insurance fraud.

I doubt there will be insurance fraud charges, but I would not doubt for a second the bank will own this horse at some point.

ManeMediaMogul
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Zayat has not been accused of insurance fraud. He was accused of not giving the money from his insurance settlement on Thorn Song to Fifth Third Bank and putting it in his stable account instead. (Probably what most people would do.)

I think it would be great for Zayat Stables to win the Derby. The entire Zayat clan was at Gulfstream Park for the FOY and it seemed that they were enjoying themselves and their horse.

WinterTriangle
02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
The trail hasn't even started in many ways.

I only root for the horses. Don't care who owns 'em.

Anybody with lots of money can buy a T.C. horse...maybe somebody will buy one this year right before the races.

Rackon
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Zayat didn't attempt to defraud the inurance company.

The vets called Zayat and told him Thorn Song was taking a turn for the worse and in their opinion had suffered enough - time he should be put down. Then they got hold of the insurance company for permission for same. Permission received. Zayat put in a claim. Insurance company issues check to Zayat. This is normal and how the world of equine mortality works. (Let Fifth/Third prove it shoulda gone to them and not into the stable operating account.)

But then the story took a turn it usually doesn't. At the 11th hour, right before he was scheduled to be euthanized, Thorn Song made a surprising and sudden improvement - vets call the inurance company, who now own the horse, and say there's a chance the horse can be saved, maybe even for stud duty. Insurance company says OK. Horse is saved. Inurance company still owns him.

It's a long ways to the first Saturday in May. Eskandereya has had the most visually impressive prep victory so far...but we got a long way to go.

Horses don't know who owns them, and I don't get my panties in a wad over who owns the contenders. (Not usually anyway.)

I don't know the Zayats or their operation, but many players could find themselves in financial stress in the race horse biz these days. If Fifth/Third runs their commercial loan depratment like they run their mortgage banking ops...I don't feel that sorry for them.

I just root for the horses.

Relwob Owner
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Looking at everything that has run so far, it is hard to say that Eskendereya does not look like the horse to beat right now.

The question is, would Zayat winning the KY Derby (god forbid the TC) be a real black eye for horse racing. Hate to say it, but this guy may make IEAH look like saints.

Can you imagine if this guy winds up in jail for insurance fraud involved with his Thorn Song.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10

Maybe he can join the owners of Curlin in their cell. Maybe Fifth Third Bank can accept the trophy for the horse.

Knock me over with a feather but Moyers, I agree with you on this....generally speaking, where there is smoke, there is fire and Zayat is like a chimney these days.....

nijinski
02-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Knock me over with a feather but Moyers, I agree with you on this....generally speaking, where there is smoke, there is fire and Zayat is like a chimney these days.....
I'm nicknaming the horse , the name is too long.
Esk-Ro

toussaud
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Given the logo on their website (http://www.53.com): Green; white 5/3 on blue ball.
considering they got 3.4 billion in bailout money, we could have the president of the united states in the winners circle lol'

gives a whole new meaning to america's horse doesn't it?