PDA

View Full Version : Finally Pletchers year?

shhail2
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
With perhaps his strongest class of 3yo's ever, do you guys think that it will be pletcher years to win the derby? He has some well bred horses and he seems to be hotter than ever right now.
-super saver to the oaklawn trail or wood memorial perhaps?
-eskendereya to florida derby i would guess
-rule to tampa derby
-discreetly mine to the louisiana derby
-connemara to the santa anita derby
-possibly interactif
-possibly colizeo
-possibly land of the giants to a stake in caifornia after his impressive maiden win

Hanover1
02-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Pletcher is as Pletcher does imo. Way overdo in my book, as well as many others. My money will say no.

Stillriledup
02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
He looks great every year. There is a reason why his horses run great leading up to the Derby and then don't run well in the Derby. Not that i know what that reason is or anything.

shhail2
02-20-2010, 11:36 PM
true, but it just seems like this year more than any other to me, Pletchers horses are bred to get the 1 1/4 mile distance and most of them have the experience under their belt unlike dunkirk last year

toussaud
02-20-2010, 11:51 PM
he'll blow it

I distincly remember coming here and reading how dunkirk was pletcher's first real derby type horse last year. now people want to act like they always thought he was overrated. when dunkirk hit the scene he was more popular than British nikes.

I'm quite sure the years before that people were saying the same thing about scat daddy (I did like him) and others.

shhail2
02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
i agree that he has had plenty of chances to win, but when you put 1/4 of the field in the race with some pretty quality horses, your chances go up that you will finally win the race. Im not saying hes gonna win, but I like some of his horses and it seems this year he has more quality and quantity than in years past.
-i think these horses trump the year he had scat daddy (out of johannesberg(doesnt typically get distance race), circular quay, sam p, and cowtown cat in the race. but thats just me

toussaud
02-21-2010, 12:04 AM
scat daddy could run and really didn't have distance limitations. he well outran his pedigree, he had bad, horrible feet and pletcher couldn't' put humpty dumpty together in time for the derby.

this CAN be better..

OTM Al
02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Rule and Eskenderya aren't too bad and I'd put Esky up at the top of the class right now. Connemara has chronic gate problems. If that field wasn't so bad he would have lost by a lot today. Discretely Mine looked better than I think he really was. More I look at that race, the worse it was. Least I cashed on it :). Super Saver I haven't had a good look at, so nothing there to say. I'd really expect Interactif to stay on turf in the end. Other two I don't know either, though if all you have is a maiden win right now, I'd really doubt the KD is likely. So he's got a couple nice horses right now and should if all goes well have a couple decent shots. Don't know if we will have a major standout this year though. We shall see.....

toussaud
02-21-2010, 12:12 AM
while I like the horse a little and think he's one of the better ones..

the fountain of youth field, if you change the name, really was a very weak race.

the horess that can go 9F are slow and the ones that are good aren't 9-10F horses.

jackson bend was done and held on for 2nd.

Pletcher has another one that I think starts tomorrow in an allowence race that I think is the real deal.

shhail2
02-21-2010, 12:28 AM
the one that you are talking about is colizeo at gulf tomorrow

shhail2
02-21-2010, 12:30 AM
i also agree that the fountain of youth field was pretty bad, there wasnt 2 or 3 horses in there that i thought could get the distance, but still it was impressive the way that he ran off.

WinterTriangle
02-21-2010, 01:38 AM
He looks great every year.

They were just discussing this on TVG.......that he gets all this early promise then "something happens" ......

To me, there are still 'horses in the darkness', like Tahitian Warrior, we will not even see them race until way later. Then you have ones like Best Actor, or Colizeo, who knows who will jump up in strike..make music for me could be getting tuned up big time as we speak. Too much I don't know, like which of these horses has LONGEVITY?

Plus, there are those "quiet" trainers, who have wild cards.

Toussaud, slam dunk on Colizeo. Hope he does good, got him in all my stables.

PhantomOnTour
02-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Pletcher, like a bad jockey, moves too soon. Hits the lead too early.. :)
Ofcourse he wins lotsa purse money for his owners. Derby preps pay a lot.

Robert Fischer
02-21-2010, 09:01 AM
His horses aren't just running career tops, they're also racing in lifetime best physical condition. His important horses are all filling out, packing on 100+ lbs of muscle. Horses like Rule have gone from "nice lookin" to "an imposing physical specimen"(per DRF (http://drf.com/news/article/110805.html)).

You really have to give Pletcher and his stable workers all the credit in the world. They must be giving these horses a pint of Guiness or something, maybe horse whispering, to eat up like monsters, and they are having the extreme good fortune that so much of his frontline and well bred stock happen to be packing on all this muscle at a very high rate. Quality Road was always a big horse, naturally strong, with a big frame... now with this program I really think he has a realistic chance at 72 homers this season.

freddymo
02-21-2010, 09:55 AM
His horses aren't just running career tops, they're also racing in lifetime best physical condition. His important horses are all filling out, packing on 100+ lbs of muscle. Horses like Rule have gone from "nice lookin" to "an imposing physical specimen"(per DRF (http://drf.com/news/article/110805.html)).

You really have to give Pletcher and his stable workers all the credit in the world. They must be giving these horses a pint of Guiness or something, maybe horse whispering, to eat up like monsters, and they are having the extreme good fortune that so much of his frontline and well bred stock happen to be packing on all this muscle at a very high rate. Quality Road was always a big horse, naturally strong, with a big frame... now with this program I really think he has a realistic chance at 72 homers this season.

The person who needs all the credit is the Vet/chemist who found the new product that is making these all good.. Pletcher is same guy who couldnt win a race 18 months ago. His barn was devoid of any serious runners..Now lo and behold they all can run? I give Pletcher credit for being one of the best trainers and minds in the game but simply cant be having all this success without an edge. Great trainers find great edges to enhance wonderful training and care, it is kind of that simple. Frankel, great trainer, great edge.TAP is no different.

toussaud
02-21-2010, 10:10 AM

go back and look at dunkirk again

in march he looked like a Thoroughbred god. the week of the derby more than person said he looked homely

Moyers Pond
02-21-2010, 12:47 PM
He has a great shot because he has so many with different running styles. The track could come up messy, the pace could be crazy, and a million things could happen.

Right now though I would take Pletcher's horses against the field.

Hanover1
02-21-2010, 02:06 PM
He has a great shot because he has so many with different running styles. The track could come up messy, the pace could be crazy, and a million things could happen.

Right now though I would take Pletcher's horses against the field.
Send me the money instead....takeout is minimal, and I offer a rebate.. :lol:

OTM Al
02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Time to toss Colizeo. 4th of 5 in a mediocre field. Must say thanks for the alert though as it gave me a great bet against shot, just landed on the wrong one....

toussaud
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
the problem is that this horse (foy winner) has no where to go but down. that was a peak performance..about 2 months too soon.

bisket
02-21-2010, 08:44 PM
go back and look at dunkirk again

in march he looked like a Thoroughbred god. the week of the derby more than person said he looked homely
probably stopped eating after quality cleaned his clock in trhe fla derby