PDA

View Full Version : 2/20 Derby Prep races.....

Hanover1
02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Did they run as you figured/wagered? Any outcomes have you rethinking the pecking order at this point? Granted its early yet, however a few futures pool favorites did make a showing....I welcome your comments.

Tom
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I saw nothing today I am excited about at all.
Pretenders day.

bisket
02-20-2010, 10:29 PM
in order right now for me:
lookin at lucky
drosselmeyer
eskenderya
jackson bend
buddy's saint
speed with an easy lead can look great in some of these preps, but on derby day is usually heading for the back of the field turning for home. unless of course the field is below average. i still haven't given up on uptowncharliebrown, but he looked a little to green for his style of running to make a difference derby day. although 3 year olds can put things together all at once sometimes.

Hanover1
02-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I saw nothing today I am excited about at all.
Pretenders day.
I agree with alot of that statement Tom-putting it all together that first Saturday in May is where it is at after all, and the seasoned vets in the game at this point have individual agendas that seldom require peak efforts right at this point....Dont see any freaks as yet......

Charlie D
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
eskenderya = decent effort today in my humble opinion, but tend to agree Tom, nothing really to get your blood boiling.

Hanover1
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
in order right now for me:
lookin at lucky
drosselmeyer
eskenderya
jackson bend
buddy's saint
speed with an easy lead can look great in some of these preps, but on derby day is usually heading for the back of the field turning for home. unless of course the field is below average. i still haven't given up on uptowncharliebrown, but he looked a little to green for his style of running to make a difference derby day. although 3 year olds can put things together all at once sometimes.
As players and horsemen alike know all to well, they will make liars out of us both at some point. In regards to uptowncharlybrown, well imo he is/will be outclassed come Derby Day, yet will pay 50-1 if he gets the job done, and we all know that lightning does strike twice in the same spot...... :D

WinterTriangle
02-20-2010, 10:52 PM
the seasoned vets in the game at this point have individual agendas that seldom require peak efforts right at this point.

Yeah, these are workouts and tests at two turns, or synth to dirt, etc.

I look back at what was going on this time last year. Then look at who won the TC races.

joanied
02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
This is a strange road to the Triple Crown...no stand out horses, no one horse I care to latch onto at this point...
I really like Dublin...that throat surgery was what he needed, and figured he'd come up a little short...I don't think Conveyance is a derby horse...I doubt he'll get the distance...
Buddy's Saint may have run better if not for the trouble he had on the backstretch...Discreetely Mine, I dunno...if anyone wires the Derby field, he may be the one...I thought Mission Impazable looked good...and I am still stuck on Lookin' at Lucky...can't doubt baffert and his 'plan' for Lucky...but wish he'd put him on dirt just one time before the Derby.

At this point, with no standout...it's anyone's guess:D

Rackon
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
This is a strange road to the Triple Crown...no stand out horses, no one horse I care to latch onto at this point...
I really like Dublin...that throat surgery was what he needed, and figured he'd come up a little short...I don't think Conveyance is a derby horse...I doubt he'll get the distance...
Buddy's Saint may have run better if not for the trouble he had on the backstretch...Discreetely Mine, I dunno...if anyone wires the Derby field, he may be the one...I thought Mission Impazable looked good...and I am still stuck on Lookin' at Lucky...can't doubt baffert and his 'plan' for Lucky...but wish he'd put him on dirt just one time before the Derby.

At this point, with no standout...it's anyone's guess:D

I agree. Pretty much :)

Actually, I really liked Dublin's race yesterday, he had a crappy trip. Very interested to see how he does in his next. Buddy ran into so much trouble who could tell? Discreetly Mine, gotta think about that, I usually don't love front runners in the Derby. Eskandereya looked like a race horse yesterday, but it's early days.

Interesting year, still a long ways to go.