PDA

View Full Version : The end of Maryland Racing?

JustRalph
07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Beyer Article....they won't get anymore money from me...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59631-2003Jul1.html

First Uncle Sam, Now Aunt Mary

By Andrew Beyer
Wednesday, July 2, 2003; Page D01

Horseplayers are subjected to so many indignities that they usually accept ill treatment stoically. But even the most passive bettors were surely incensed by the policy that went into effect at Maryland's racetracks yesterday.

The state began withholding taxes from certain gambling winnings, forcing both residents and nonresidents to contend with a potential mountain of paperwork. The rationale is to generate more revenue for Maryland's coffers, but the effect will be to deter sensible gamblers from putting their money through the windows at Laurel Park, Pimlico and Rosecroft.

The withholding-tax measure was part of the Budget Reconciliation and Financing Act of 2003, and it was passed without notice by anybody in the state's horse industry. Racetrack executives didn't know about the new law until representatives of the state comptroller's office showed up at the June meeting of the Maryland Racing Commission to remind everybody of the change that would take place July 1. On that date, the state's tax collectors would take note of the same transactions that are now subject to federal reporting requirements.

When a bettor hits a payoff at odds of 300 to 1 or more and collects more than $600, he must fill out IRS Form W-2G before collecting his money. If the payoff exceeds $5,000, Uncle Sam withholds 28 percent.

Now Maryland will get into the act, too, withholding from the same payoffs 7 percent for Maryland residents and 4.75 percent for nonresidents. Thus a Marylander who gets lucky and hits a $5,000 trifecta will wind up with only $3,250 in his pocket, after surrendering $1,400 to the IRS and another $350 to the state.

The withholding tax generates more annoyance that it does actual revenue. A person owes tax on gambling winnings only if he makes a net profit during the year -- and very few horseplayers do. But even a losing bettor will probably cash some payoffs requiring him to fill out IRS forms. He must then list these winnings on his federal tax return, show offsetting losses as an itemized deduction and maintain a yearlong record of his wagers to back up that deduction.

If an out-of-state resident goes to a Maryland track and hits a single payoff above the IRS threshold, he has a whole new burden with which to contend. He is required to file Form 505, the Nonresident Maryland Tax Return, a 54-line form where he lists his Maryland gambling activities and other details from his federal return. I have had some first-hand experience with this complicated document; even my accountant couldn't figure out how to handle it until he corresponded with Maryland tax authorities. Other difficulties arise when the bettor files his usual tax return in the state of his residence (or the District of Columbia). Because he has already accounted for his Maryland gambling transactions on that state's tax form, he must then separate all his non-Maryland betting and account for that on his usual tax return.

That's not all. A brochure being distributed to racetrack patrons, "Gambling Winnings and Your Maryland Tax Obligations," tells bettors that they are expected to file Form 502D and pay an estimated tax whenever they win more than $500. The guide says, for example, that a Montgomery County resident who wins $500 at Laurel should fill out the form and pay an estimated tax of 4.75 percent to the state and 2.95 percent to the county. Forget about studying the Daily Racing Form. Keeping up with your tax obligations at the track has now become a full-time job.

When Joe De Francis, president of Laurel and Pimlico, learned of the new Maryland policies, he said: "It's ridiculous that this should be applied to people from out of state, particularly because we draw so many of our customers from D.C. and Virginia. This is a substantial disincentive for these people."

Lawmakers who passed this measure thought they would collect more revenue for their financially strapped state; what they will accomplish instead is to change bettors' behavior. Just as states that jack up their cigarette tax drive people across state lines to make their purchases, Maryland will drive wagers across state lines. But bettors won't have to go anywhere to place them, thanks to the availability of legal telephone-betting services.

I place most of my wagers through XpressBet, which is operated by Magna Entertainment, owner of Laurel and Pimlico. Based in Pennsylvania, it withholds no state taxes. When a customer hits a payoff exceeding the IRS threshold, he doesn't have to fill out any paperwork; XpressBet mails the W-2G form to him. Other wagering services, such as Youbet and Philadelphia Park's Phonebet, operate the same way.

Even casual fans should establish an account with one of these services. Instead of going to a mutuel window to bet a trifecta that might return 300 to 1 or more, they can wager over a mobile phone instead. Although Maryland fans should normally try to support Maryland racing, the state has forced them to do otherwise.

cj
07-02-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't bet Maryland tracks very often anymore, but they will always be my home tracks and where I learned the game. I remember sitting in the announcer's booth one day at 16 years of age telling Dick Wooley that I loved an Odie Clelland 1st time starter. This was back in the 80s before widespread stats like this were kept. Anyway, the horse won and paid a decent price, but I remember him telling me I had a real knack for the game. I was hooked from that day forward. I spent many days at Bowie, Laurel, Pimlico, and Timonium, and many times completed the double header at Freestate or Rosecroft. I truly loved Maryland racing. I remember being at the inaugural Maryland Million, which has been copied by countless other states. I remember following some great horses who started there, including my all time favorite Broad Brush and the ageless gelding Little Bold John.

The future seemed so bright just a few short months ago with the election of the new governor and the promise of slots, but once again the legislature has totally screwed it up. I can't think of a single reason any horseman would race in "The Free State" anymore! CharlesTown and Delaware are cheaper to run at with better purses. But now, there is little reason to bet there anymore either.

Just rambling I guess, very sad while reminiscing about the good old days in Maryland that will never be again.

Kentucky Bred
07-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Just a few days ago New York announces a REDUCTION in it's takeout rate. I really thought this might prove to be a positive harbinger of things to come. But nooooooooo! The tide turns??

State and local jurisdictions struggle desperately to "balance" (Ha) their budgets any way they want. The Federal government can print money to get the cash anytime they can. The states are rapidly fading into existence and now must grab all that they can. What do they go after...gambling. After all, we are just a bunch of stupid degenerate gambling slobs. We will gamble with them even if they decide to take ALL OF THE POOL!

Congratulations Maryland. You have taken a grand racing tradition and run it right into the ground. Be proud.

Solution:

STOP BETTING INTO MARYLAND PURSES. EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE.

If you must bet in Maryland, then bet WPS only.

And the tough one...just watch the Preakness next year. Make them come to their senses.

Maryland, we are not stupid. We are not degenerate gamblers. We are not crooks. We're intellegent enough to take our chips and play somewhere...er...ANYWHERE else.

Kentucky Bred

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2003, 10:41 PM
KB,

Boy, is that a statement? You are right on.

Dave

takeout
07-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I spent many days at Bowie, Laurel, Pimlico, and Timonium, and many times completed the double header at Freestate or Rosecroft.

CJ - I used to do the Lrl to Freestate thing too. I didn't know jack about pacers (still don't) but those were sure some beautiful evenings.

I gave up on MD shortly after Joe took over. It has been well over ten years now and I have no regrets. Hell, they just keep making me look smarter and smarter. :D

VetScratch
07-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Several of the states that subsidize horseracing purses from slot machine revenues enacted W2-G withholding regulations that are identical for horse and slot players. Instead of observing the $5000 federal withholding floor for horses, state withholding often begins at a much lower floor level that is the same for horses and slots.

Now the Maryland laws have raised the standard of absurdity with Form 502D, Estimated Taxes. Who explains how the world works to the folks who write the laws that govern it? In this case, I guess Beyer, but too late for the good of Maryland racing.

All of this got started (and is perpetuated) because too many taxpayers fear an IRS audit and let both the federal and state governments keep the withholding taxes. The slot machine states know this, and hence the new withholding regulations. If everyone would file accurate and honest returns to claim refunds, the whole problem might eventually disappear because the IRS already ranks gambling audits as one of their least effective recovery procedures (i.e., gambling audits are a lot of work that recover small change compared to other audit categories).

This is one of the reasons why the federal W2-G withholding floor was raised up to $5000 about 15 years ago.

If the slot machine states were refunding the actual amounts due to taxpayers, they might enact more sensible and cost-effective regulations.

JustAskVettie.Com :D

takeout
07-03-2003, 01:39 PM
From another board:

"This is nothing new in Kentucky. We have been paying the state an additional 4% on all taxable winnings for many years. Doesn't matter where you are a resident or not. We pay 32% on all wagers that pay over 300-1 for a $2 bet."
----------------------------------

Gawd! So much for Maryland & Kentucky! :mad:

Vote with you bankroll!

diablogger
07-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by takeout
From another board:

"This is nothing new in Kentucky. We have been paying the state an additional 4% on all taxable winnings for many years. Doesn't matter where you are a resident or not. We pay 32% on all wagers that pay over 300-1 for a $2 bet."
----------------------------------

Gawd! So much for Maryland & Kentucky! :mad:

Vote with you bankroll!

If I voted with my bankroll, I'd be scanning the money markets. That's about the level of return you can expect after take & taxes. A lot less work, too. But not nearly as fun.

Suff
07-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

Just rambling I guess, very sad while reminiscing about the good old days in Maryland that will never be again.

Originally, we had maryland in the interboard contest. Barntowire.com lobbied hard for a Midwest track and Maryland was tossed. Too bad. Maryland breds are highly regarded. They're lumped in with the 2nd tier group behind KY.....

NYbreds
MDbreds are 1-2 after Kentucky in many breeding stats,

Calbreds, FLa Breds are close 3rd and 4th. Then its along way back to the rest. Maryland has a Deep racing tradition, excellent horseman and women. More so than my Track Suffolk...Its a shame that MD racing has slipped even more in recent years. Because Suffolks been a ghetto track for years now. I had higher expectations for the new MD ownership than what they've done.

BTW....Don't most tracks have Poltically wired Lobbyist and consultants on Retainer....Simply for this reason? They're suppossed to watch ALL legislation and advise the Track on how and if it will affect them. How this missed EVERYONES RADAR is a Major GAFF.....