PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Race Track Investor

raistin
07-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Has anybody heard any updates about Ultimate Race Track Investor by Tom Console? I heard that he was supposed to complete this program soon. Thank you for any information.

GameTheory
07-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Is this another plant? You really looked hard, didn't you? Considering there is another thread entitled "Ultimate Race Track Investor is ready!" currently on the first page of this section?

I don't think we need to ban all advertising, just banning any that involves Tom Console ought to cover 95% of it!

penguinfan
07-02-2003, 05:56 PM
You know what Game Theory, I really wanted to give ole Tom the benefit of the doubt, but this is just plain rediculous. How can anyone take his software seriously when you see continued crap like this.

Penguinfan

midnight
07-05-2003, 01:35 AM
I never even saw this. I thought it was the other thread about the software. I had to look at the post count to realize it was a second one.

The odd part is that the old thread is still on the first page. Mr. Console usually waits until the old one falls off the first page before bringing in a fresh ghost.

Some of these touting "kats" need to find a new advertising "guru" to do their work for them because "frankly" they aren't fooling too many of us. :rolleyes:

TomC
07-08-2003, 01:54 AM
PA:
You must have some way of telling where the posts come from. I got 4 e-mails from people saying the usual bashers were at it again. But you have to be able to see the original post never came from me. On my website, which will remain nameless, the host can tell me everythiong about everyone that visits the site if need be. So I would think you could do the same with a message board, right?
Its funny how pathetic some of you guys are to think I have nothing better to do than post bogus messages. And then how you stroke each other thinking "we got him"!
Too funny.
Tom C

midnight
07-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Oh dry up. You've been caught with your pants down at least five times with this ghost crap. You remind me of another magic medicine salesman here who insisted he was an innocent victim. Frank Guru and his 500 clones. For all we know, you're him. The same damn M.O., the same "I didn't do it!" B.S., the same "I'm not really selling anything because I make a lot of money," the same arrogant attitude.

You've been caught in so many lies and switches that it isn't even funny. Nobody who's a regular here is going to believe your song and dance about how you're doing the world a favor by selling them your wonderful programs----and I personally am going to see to it that no newbies are fooled, either.

I don't like con-men. You're a con-man. The end.

P.S.: PA is one of the fairest web board owners around. If he knew for sure the somebody was doing this, he'd say so and ban the offender.

Myhorse1_X
07-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I personally have revieved Tom's new software. The software was easy to use, the data base did indeed point to some items on particular races that was significant to a winner.

The part of the software that I particulary liked was the structuring of win bets, exacta bets and trifecta bets. The software also pointed to races that were not playable, and his First Time starter winners were impressive.

I would think that anyone that has trouble with their betting would like this program. It is straight forward, the manual is easy reading and understandable.
Since I have designed my own software there are a couple of things that I would have done differently, but none negates the operation of the program.
Tom also offers a money back guarantee with his software, and this is VERY unusual even with the restocking fee to cover his mailing, packaging, and reproducing the software.

I have reviewed a lot of software in my time, and I think that Tom's effort is well worth while.

MyHorse1
PS I don't know Tom Console, and have no interest whatsoever in the software. I am just trying to present an overall opinion.

Suff
07-08-2003, 09:50 AM
These guys know.... ONE winning player talking up there Program is better than 2 banner ads on DRF or Bloodhorse.

They encourage users to "talk it up". Look at Rmania's post today. Nothing against Rmania. But he's "sold" a few programs and he's waiting for the users to start "talkin it up".

But he has'nt seen anything on the site,.... So today he comes out and "baits" the guys that Bought....to talk.

Its part of Most software sellers advertising strategy. Get the users to do all the advertising for you.

I've noticed that the Groups that put up FREE prizes in Contest always respect PA's Advertising Guidelines. Its a shame , because those guys...Like RRBaur,, I'd give a little lee way too.. But these fools with 1 post or 10 posts...that are always "pitching" ......... really get me.

TomC
07-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I think after reading the post by Midnight, it's conclusive. Midnight is NO DOUBT putting the posts on here to make me look bad. He is "THE GHOST" Lets look at the facts:
1) Midnight has no life. After all, look how much time he has to spend on ME!
2)Midnight has no future, so he may as well try and ruin it for others.
4)Midnight is..well he is Midnight. The most negative person on the board, and he seems to know all the angles of what everyone else is doing. Probably lives in his mommy's basement.

So your Honor, I rest my case. Midnight is "the ghost" of the board. I would like to drop all charges, because if I dont at least let Midnight bash me, what else does he have to live for?

Tom C

rmania
07-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
Look at Rmania's post today. Nothing against Rmania. But he's "sold" a few programs and he's waiting for the users to start "talkin it up".

But he has'nt seen anything on the site,.... So today he comes out and "baits" the guys that Bought....to talk.

Hey Suff... I'm not trying to "bait" anyone...
There are "respected" software designers on this board who insisted that users would eventually talk about products (good or bad) and that this would be a true testimony to the product.
I, on the other hand (realizing the mindset of most horse players) would consider complete silence as the best tribute. My ego would like to hear of some success stories (e-mail them if you want - I promise not to post'em).

Suff
07-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rmania
Hey Suff... I'm not trying to "bait" anyone...
\stories (e-mail them if you want - I promise not to post'em).

R...

I was really hesitant to hang you out there like that. I was really using you as an example of "Internal" Promotion". I'm not trying to rub you wrong or bring heat on you. But I suppose I did by hitting you with a little "Friendly Fire".

Of course I hope your guys are winning and I hope your doing well with your program and selections.

SUFF

rmania
07-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
I was really hesitant to hang you out there like that.
Don't worry about it Suff.. I've gotten used to it.:)
I was hesitant about making the post. Been thinking about it for a couple of weeks and finally decided why not.

andicap
07-08-2003, 12:24 PM
To me silience might also mean they tried it and like most software,
found it wanting and abandoned it. No need to trash talk or bad-mouth
someone tho.

Or it could mean it was great and they don't want to tell anyone else
about it.

Ah, the glass is half empty or half-full.

:)

Lefty
07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
I think it's all much ado about nothing. If the guy gives a money back guarantee and stands by it, nothing could be more fair than that. I don't have the software and won't try it because it does not use Adv Procaps files.

GameTheory
07-08-2003, 01:52 PM
A money back guarantee minus 20% is not a money back guarantee. There are people who's entire business model is the sell products they know are crap and their ONLY INTENTION is to make money on "restocking fees" for returned merchandise, which is priced high enough in the first place that the restocking fee is significant.

I haven't seen Tom's program, but if I send him $500 bucks for it, he could send me a program that didn't do ANYTHING and still keep $100 if I returned it. That's fair? Restocking fees are tools for scammers. It just isn't good business.

Legitimate vendors with a product they believe in should either offer a FULL money back guarantee or make a demo version that can really show you what the software can do. But to buy something sight unseen where the risk is on the buyer? No thanks.

Lefty
07-08-2003, 02:00 PM
GT, I agree. I think it should either be a full money back guarantee or a nominal tryout charge of say $25.

midnight
07-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Your typical Frank Guru reply. When the facts kick you in the ass, call the other guy names.

Yes, Mr. Console, I have a lot of time on my hands. That happens when you get to be my age. You'll have to take my word for it, because it's not likely you'll live that long, as mouthy as you are to people.

Since my demented mind is convinced that you work closely with Dave Powers aka Clint Tracy, and since I'm so obviously obsessed with you, I'm going to carry my obsession to a higher plane. I'm going to be visiting my sister and brother in law in San Diego in August for a couple of weeks. While I'm there, I'll be sure to take some time out to visit the States Attorney's office, the San Diego branches of the US Attorney General's office and FBI and/or whoever my lawyer friend tells me would have jurisdiction over what I'm interested in. I'll be sure to make appointments far in advance so that somebody there will be waiting to see me.

When I show up, I'll have printouts of the petrinent data and documentation, both paper and electronic, pointing to a certain company I'm going to be discussing mail fraud, deceptive practice, false advertising, and whatever else my lawyer friend tells me might apply, as it pertains to RPM Information Systems. I'm know how to be very annoying and persistent along the lines of lighting a fire under the rears of the government. I spent 40 years as a career with that being one of my duties. I WILL get something done.

And when Mr. Tracy (assuming that's not you) wants to know why I've suddenly taken such a great interest in his operation, I won't tell him it's because I don't like scammers who bait the gullible public with "get rich quick" magic medicine black box wonders. I'll just say:

"Tom Console sent me."

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2003, 05:04 PM
It's very difficult to truly say whether one person is really another when posting or browsing on the web.

There are instances where one can be sure, but for the most part, it is very easy to disguise one's identity here in cyberspace...

cj
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I'm quite sure I could create about 20 different user names and post from 20 totally different IP addresses and list confirm each user name with a different email in a day if I really wanted to make the effort. TomC always seems to know just when to show up.

penguinfan
07-08-2003, 05:35 PM
CJ, when I ran a sports handicapping web-site for a guy and someone sent a very personal threatening e-mail from a hotmail account it took less than 2 days to track down the nitwit. Certainly someone a bit brighter than this guy could avoid getting busted, but it better be your intention from the VERY beginning to remain anonymous or you can be run down with a little help from your site host, you might be surprised what info is readily available out there to identify someone. PA does relly not have cause to spend the time and energy tracking down where these users began, let the buyer beware.

Game Theory, again I agree with you completely, offer a trial or send me some plays and the basis of them if you expect me to shell out that kind of cash, great example is Nathan from Equisim, not only does he give out a free trial, but he was willing to answer tons of questions before you spend 1 cent. His software may or may not be for you, but I like the way he does business. On the other hand I asked (via e-mail) TomC for a sample of what his program does, he gave me some song and dance about not being able to print out something that could be e-mailed so I would just have to buy the program and take advantage of the money back guarantee. HUGE RED FLAG THERE!!! Color me stupid enough to believe you can't print out something and e-mail it to me, can't you run the software (I offered to pay for the data file) and just type them into an e-mail for me? Really got the feeling he did not want me to see what the software did before sending a check. Compare that to someone who shows you the nuts and bolts of what their program does before you buy! Really not trying to tout Equisim here, just the way Nathan does business.

Penguinfan

cj
07-08-2003, 09:25 PM
penguinfan,

If someone wants to remain anonymous, it is easy. If they do something stupid and then try to cover their identity later, that's a whole new ball game.

Bobby
07-08-2003, 09:53 PM
What ever happened to FRank Guru? He was on a bbs at yahoo, but that was shut down.

andicap
07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
HTR offers a demo to tool around with and some others do too -- some for a nominal ($10) fee, etc. Others offer the manual for free to download, which is also helpful.

I think with all the stuff we've posted here anyone who wants to buy Mr. Console's software knows what he's getting. The software may or may not be good but at least the people who read this board have seen both sides of the debate and have some facts to make up their mind.

The only thing I know about Mr. Console is I tested his "True Tenders" system out for someone a few years ago and it did not work (it was based on adjusting Beyer figures). Was supposed to pick certain % winners top 4 and it wasn't really close.

It did, however, carry a certain logic -- it wasn't off the wall. But it did not fulfil its promise as listed in the catalogs.

Tom
07-08-2003, 11:05 PM
I have read this exchange before - on Yahoo. The names were changed to protect the clones.
Left posted elswhere that were only something like 16 plot senarios for all books? I guess that applies to internet flame wars as well.
Personally, I won't buy any of these programs because I am saving up my money to rent MonteyBanks' $5000 program.
I read good things about it (from Montey) :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D :) :eek:

midnight
07-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Tom: I remember HPU very well. More nuts there than in a Planter's factory. I didn't post there much. Didn't want to get involved. Check in once a day and read for 5-10 minutes, move on.

If a seller can't offer some kind of demo of his software, service, etc., and can't even give a few plays out, then like peng said, big red flag.

Remember a guy named Bob Victor, back in the 80's? He had one of the first handicapping programs for the PC, named "Power Horses". He bought mailing lists from whatever source and did mailouts (no internet as we knew it then).

Back in those days, it ran in DOS of course, you had to input the data manually from the Form, and it printed out one screen per race with a rating for each horse. He sold the thing for $50 plus $10 shipping (more if you wanted it sent overnight), with a moneyback guarantee for the full $50 (but not the shipping). What you got in the mail was a 5 1/4" floppy, and a manual of 12 stapled sheets. The program had been coded in QBASIC and was compiled in an EXE file. I reverse-engineered it with a hex editor. The program consisted of a very simple rating system based on consistency, money earned, speed figure, etc. It was a lot like the Mattel handheld from the mid 70's that picked horses (remember that?) except that it wasn't as complicated to input. Do I need to say that it found all the favorites and didn't come close to winning? I sent it back and had a $50 check within two weeks, no questions asked.

I ran into Mr. Victor about five years ago out at the Gold Coast. He said words to the effect of: "Jim, I sold almost 200 of those things. Only had about 70 people return it. For fifty bucks a lot of guys won't bother. But even if they did, I spent about a buck-twenty-five to mail it out and another fifty cents or so to send them a check if they wanted a refund. I made eight bucks on everybody who didn't like it and a clear fifty-eight on the ones who didn't return it. It took me three hours to write the thing, and I paid a hundred for the mailing list and another seven hundred or so for printing and postage of the flyers. I made over six thousand on it for maybe fifty hours of work."

Moneyback guarantees are good, except that most guys won't paper test something, and they'll end up losing many times that cost of the software. That part isn't refundable.

TomC
07-09-2003, 10:33 AM
In reply to the many posts, I have a few points to make:

1)Restocking fees. My main reason for restocking fee is to weed out those curiousity seekers. There are many that will buy items knowing full well they will return it. They just want to see it. Anyone that is serious about buying and using a product does not care about a restocking fee, as they have no reason to buy. With the new program, 95% of the sales I make will be from people that have bought from me in the past. So they know what to expect and are not concerned about a refund. If they liked my past items, they will but the new one. If they didnt, they wont. But those who are mainly concerned, right off the bat, with "how do I get my money back" are not really serious about using the program. And, not to be sarcastic, but I have no time for things like that.
2)Cost of a program: No one takes the time factor into consideration. Besides the costs it took to get the job done, which was done at a fair price by Joe Z, what about the 3 to 6 hours a day I have spent for 3 years getting this project done? Am I supposed to just donate over 4,000 hours of my time? Time I could have spent with family enjoying myself, rather than tearing my hair out and going blind staing at a computer?
3)RPM: Did anyone here EVER buy something from RPM and not get a refund if they asked? If so, I would like to hear about it. Dave may hype things to get sales, like any good company and salesman will do. But he ALWAYS stands behind his word. He has never sold a product, then refused a refund if the buyer was not happy. I personally have nothing to do with RPM. It is run by Dave and his wife in California, and they market my products. When you get an ad from him about my product, the sales pitches you read about my products or anyone elses are from tests conducted by Dave. He legitimately does have a huge database. This is his business, and he downloads every day, about every track. That adds up over the years! You can investigate RPM, myself, or whomever you desire. No one has ever been treated unfair. No one has ever been ripped off. I have talked to Dave Powers many many times on the phone. I know that his beliefs are like mine. If you cheat someone, it will come back to get you. Live a clean honest life, and you still may get kicked around a lot (read the posts about me..haha!) but at least I can sleep well at night.
4)This one I know most bashers of me wont believe, but I have never posted under a different name. Think about it. Will anyone really believe posts like that? "Hey I just bought Toms stuff...its great and will make you rich!" Do you really think I would post stuff like that, and think you would read it and order my program? Lets get real here now. I stated this earlier...just about any sale I get is a repeat buyer. I am not out to try and con people into sales. If anyone wants to buy my products, they will buy. If they are against it, no sales letter in the world will change their minds. And I dont want to try.

Well I made the points that I wanted to make. I am sure there are more, but I cant rememeber them all, and dont want to put everyone to sleep. If anyone wants my help, you know where to reach me.
Tom C

GameTheory
07-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by TomC

1)Restocking fees. My main reason for restocking fee is to weed out those curiousity seekers. There are many that will buy items knowing full well they will return it. They just want to see it. Anyone that is serious about buying and using a product does not care about a restocking fee, as they have no reason to buy. With the new program, 95% of the sales I make will be from people that have bought from me in the past. So they know what to expect and are not concerned about a refund. If they liked my past items, they will but the new one. If they didnt, they wont. But those who are mainly concerned, right off the bat, with "how do I get my money back" are not really serious about using the program. And, not to be sarcastic, but I have no time for things like that.

If they don't want to put themselves at risk for large amounts of money with no recourse for a refund when buying a program they can't try out in advance, then they're not serious?! Give me a break! I don't think even you really believe that. You're the one who isn't serious about backing up your product.

What is a curiousity seeker, exactly? Someone who thinks that your program might be right for them but isn't sure? Most businesses would consider people like that potential valuable customers, not annoyances to be brushed off. Which is exactly why you make a demo or have some way to expose a potential buyer to what they're getting for their money. If you want to limit your sales by making yourself look like a con man, then go ahead, but don't pretend you're taking the high ground. I will never understand business people who spend all their time "protecting" themselves from the customer. It is the customer at risk, not you!

Notice nothing of this has anything to do with whether or not your program is any good. It might be awesome, and I wouldn't begrudge you charging $500 or more for a great program. But I would never consider buying a program from someone who puts stuff all over his web site that screams, "Don't trust me!" and neither will a lot of other serious people. Don't insult me by telling me what I think or that I am not serious. I've never had a reason to return any piece of software, probably because I deal exclusively with people who practice good business.

midnight
07-09-2003, 04:24 PM
The San Diego Better Business Bureau has a few complaints about Mr. Powers.

The "always give a refund" doesn't mean it's right to practice deceptive advertising. 40% winners, 33% profit (1.33 ROI). blah blah blah. Every ad, the same lame promise. That's called deceptive advertising/false advertising.

It doesn't matter if he'll give a refund or not. He's LYING to the public. He knows darned well that most people won't bother to ask for a refund. He puts out a cheesy little stapled package of 15 sheets, puts them into a mailer that costs 5 cents (in bulk), puts 60 cents of postage on it, and sends it out. It costs him less than $1.00 and he charges from $25 to $100 for it. He can stand a lot of returns and still make money. It's an OLD marketing trick, and companies like Ronco, K-Tel, etc. have built empires selling junk, based on the fact that people are too lazy to ask for their money back.

I've tested your famous Q system, and your famous FG system (thread listed elsewhere here). They do exactly what they're expected to do: a big fat loss. I can do about as well spinning a wheel and playing the number that comes up. If you can sleep at night, knowing that you're bilking people out of their money with worthless methods, and that they're losing their ass at the track with your systems until they figure out that they don't work, then sleep well. I know I wouldn't rest easilly if I did that to people.

Myhorse1_X
07-09-2003, 07:33 PM
I wonder how many of the "Bashers" have ever designed and tried to sell software of their own.

It is a great experience. It really makes you realize that those who criticize others, do not have the guts to try it themselves.
All they can do is be negative.

MyHorse1

Derek2U
07-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Guys give it up please. If U buy any software, specially in racing,
just hand the $$ over & stop whining. So many of U sound like
fixed-income whiners ... why are U betting at all? If U can't afford
this game then make paper bets or bet VERY small sums ... but
STOP yapping about .... "oh he dint return my $$" .... u sound like
grandmas living on cash "4-soda-bottle-returns". (I have never
returned a bottle 4 deposit) >> And GT ... do U really think that
many or most buyers are above average in Any dimension?
If I sold software I'd tell U straight away .... Don't bother me with
ur moronic ideas ... pay up ... use it ... keep it or discard it ... just
DO NOT even think of a refund. If $100 is too steep, then take up
bowling.

TomC
07-09-2003, 08:59 PM
OK...Here is my offer. Now first, I will get killed on here for mentioning this, as you will say I am giving a sales pitch. But here goes anyway.....NO restocking fee. You send me your model showing the software doesnt make money, just like the guarantee states on the web site (7 days min in model, no max, etc..) and I will refund 100%. You have 45 days to return it. No take out for shipping or anything. I know the model shows good profits at all tracks, so truthfully, I dont know why I even bothered with the 20% fee. I guess its because I see so many other vendors put it in.
Anyway, enough of that as I dont want to stir it all up again. But I can state this: I will not get 1 extra sale from this offer. Why? Because of the stipulation that your model must show no profits. The only people concerned about refunds are those that are NOT serious players and want to send it back, win or lose.
A comment was made that someone wanted to have me e-mail a file. Then you said I gave some line why I couldn't do it. Well sorry, I am not a magician. URTI dumps the info directly to either the screen or printer, your choice. It does not create a file. So there is no file I can e-mail. Ask Joe Zambuto how to do it, as he programmed it, and I am sure he can confirm this. But there are samples on the website. I wont give out the site as again...not trying to advertise. I would actually prefer to not sell, but there a whole other can of worms.
Tom C

GameTheory
07-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Let me help you out there.

Go to "printers" in your control panel and "Add Printer". Pick any printer off the list that has a "PS" on the end -- HP LaserJet Color LaserJet PS, for instance. These are drivers that come installed with Windows, although you'll possibly need your Windows CD.

The PS stands for PostScript. Now, there will be a checkbox for where you want the output to go: Network, LPT1, or *FILE*. Choose file.

Now anything you print using that driver will create a PostScript file (default extention .prn, but .ps is more appropriate). Any PostScript file can be read in with a free application called GSView (Ghostscript) -- just search Google for it. Additionally, GSView can easily convert the PostScript file to pdf format for even more portability.

So then anything you can print can be turned into a .ps or .pdf file that you can send to anyone....

TomC
07-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Game:
Will that work with XP? I just tried, and it is telling me I must first connect the device I wish to install before proceeding. Then the Windows closed, and I end up back at Control Panel.
Tom

GameTheory
07-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Hmmm...

Haven't tried in XP, but I think there is a checkbox for "detect printer" you may have to uncheck. It should go something like this:

Control Panel -> Printers & Other Hardware -> Printers & Faxes

Add Printer (starts up wizard)

Check Local Printer & Uncheck "Automatically detect & install"
(hit Next)

At this point you should be able to select a port & get on with it, I think...

Lefty
07-09-2003, 10:06 PM
You can also use a prgm called Snagit to capture anything on the screen and print or save it to file then send to anyone as an attach.

cj
07-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
You can also use a prgm called Snagit to capture anything on the screen and print or save it to file then send to anyone as an attach.

Or you can just press the print screen button, then paste it in Paint and save as .bmp or .jpg.

TomC
07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Using the print screen wont work, nor would the program that saves the sceeen, as the ratings are wider than the actual screen shot, and there is a scroll bar. This is why I always suggest that the user prints the card rather than just using it on screen. At least until you are more familiar and know exactly the plays you are looking for.
Anyway, a 100% refund offer should take care of any questions. I keep saying it, and keep getting sucked back in, but I am done making any comments about the program. The web site was given, and anyone interested can read about it there.
Any additional comment about it PLEASE use my e-mail as I dont want to abuse the PA board. From now on I will not make another comment about it, unless e-mailed to: tconsole@aol.com
Best to all
Tom C

cj
07-09-2003, 10:50 PM
You can adjust your screen size to make it fit.

I know personally I wouldn't use anything that I had to print the output. This game is about making money, I don't need the expense of ink and paper for all the tracks I play. (Unless I can print it at work :D :D :D )

Derek2U
07-09-2003, 11:46 PM
UR idea is Ridickulous? ink + paper & ur reckoning that? heheh.

Lefty
07-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Plus, I hate to shuffle a myriad of papers. Anybody know what Derek said?

little burt
07-10-2003, 12:57 AM
i have been talking to tom via e-mail the last week and asking questions about his program, i asked him if he could send me a card for hollywood park so i could see what the printouts really looked like i also asked him if he would send me the operators manual to see how hard it was to set up and use, he sent me all the above items i asked to see, with no obligation on my part, he has answered all my e-mails within 24hrs and answered my questions even some that i thought were kind of stupid on my part , he even gave me some more installs for my previous program that i had purched from him. all i know is that i have allways had fair dealing s with him, and i think he is a man of his word, i am not pluging his new program, but i am going to give it a try. little burt

B. Comin'
07-10-2003, 02:35 AM
LB,

"Using purchased or home-grown handicapping software? Tell us about it!"

Since you're not a member of 'the club', what this really means here is:

"Are you shilling if using purchased or home-grown handicapping software? Don't tell us about it!"

LOL :rolleyes:

Tom
07-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Bobby
What ever happened to FRank Guru? He was on a bbs at yahoo, but that was shut down.

After HPU went south, Frank went East...to Iraq, where he became Baghdad Bob. He will be selling tipsheets at the Baghdad race track when it opens this fall.
(100% winners! All on top!)

Jaguar
07-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Have just received from a fellow handicapper the printout from Belmont's July 9th card, as handicapped by URTI.

Though I have not seen or used the program itself, I can say that the results for this card were excellent. At the core of the program is Tom's unique pace and speed handicapping method named SnapCapper, a program I had heard good things about but had never seen.

Though URTI has built- in models, for some reason my friend ignored them and handicapped the 9 races in native mode.

Although URTI is a very detailed and comprehensive program, with extensive info. and analysis- the Snap methodology is the main feature of the "Picks" screen, and Snap did pick some nice winners and exactas, and did make money for the day.

One notable URTI feature is the presence of "automatic" betting screens, so if you are in a hurry, you can play the race the way the program structures the bets, if you wish.

Interestingly, URTI can be used to handicap almost any type of race, which would make the program appealing to very aggressive handicappers.

Personally, only races which feature horses with reliable past performance histories are of interest to this cowardly bettor,
and I only play races which my old stand-by, Multi-Strats, rates a race as having a consistency factor of 64%, or above. But, I realise that there are many venturesome souls out there who would like to take a shot at every race.

Having seen only the output for one card, I can't make a comment about how URTI would do on a daily basis, nor do I yet have enough data to start bench-marking URTI against other handicapping programs, though I look forward to receiving more URTI output to study.

There are some strong speed and pace based discs on the market, and my first impression of URTI is that this is certainly a very well-thought-out program that can hold its head up with the rest of them.

I should add that the URTI programmer, Joe Zambuto, has done quite a job here, this is a big program.

All the best,

Jaguar

midnight
07-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by TomC
A comment was made that someone wanted to have me e-mail a file. Then you said I gave some line why I couldn't do it. Well sorry, I am not a magician. URTI dumps the info directly to either the screen or printer, your choice. It does not create a file. So there is no file I can e-mail. Ask Joe Zambuto how to do it, as he programmed it, and I am sure he can confirm this. But there are samples on the website. I wont give out the site as again...not trying to advertise. I would actually prefer to not sell, but there a whole other can of worms.
Tom C

And naturally, it would be impossible to print it out, scan it, and then post that to a website so people can see it, right? That might take all of 10 minutes. Or use a screen capture program (there are DOZENS of freeware ones---I use one every day and it works fine on XP Home Edition), capture the screen to a jpg file, and post that on a website.

Tom (Bulldog): LOL about Bahgdad Bob.

Speed Figure
07-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Midnight, Where did you get that screen capture program for xp.

Tom
07-12-2003, 06:00 PM
I just tied hitting Prt Scrn button, then pasted it into WordPAd...worked fine.

betovernetcapper
07-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Is this program going to be entered in the software contest?

VetScratch
07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Snagit combines all the capabilities needed, especially the printer angle posted by Game Theory.

Snagit 6 automatically creates a Snagit printer to capture report output. Thus, to capture the graphic image (as a file) of any report, simply set the Windows default printer to Snagit.

You can subsequently use the built-in Snagit Studio to edit/annotate what you capture. This is handy for folks posting/exchanging files, because you can mark up a report sort of like schoolteachers do when they grade/explain reports.

http://www.techsmith.com/ ($39.95)

Lefty
07-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Vetscratch, yep, it's a great prgm. Been using way over a yr, maybe 2. Just the other day I had to send a screenshot, opened the prgm and brght up the screen I needed shot of, opened snagit, clicked capture, then saved the shot to My Documents, sent the screenshot to the one that needed it as an attach.
Snagit is great.

Dave Schwartz
07-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Agreed! SnagIt is great. And their newest version has an Internet Explorer Tool Bar that is a big help when one is researching.

When you combine that toolbar with the ability to "capture text" instead of image you have a ready-made way to collect data from websites. (Even horse racing websites!)

Dave

Tom
07-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Can you capture a screen shot or report and put it into a text files? Or Excel?

Dave Schwartz
07-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Tom,

Yes, to a degree. You can't capture text from a picture but, for example, you can capture a file list in Windows Explorer.

Dave

VetScratch
07-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Tom,

Earlier versions of Snagit claimed it was the only package that could snag a graphic image and produce text clip files. Either this feature has been deleted or has been obscured by all the fancy stuff added since V3.

Some high-end scanner software packages offer a similar option.

Since it was once an option, you might get a quick answer from Techsmith if you posed the question as a deal breaker for buying a license.

lousycapper
07-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by GameTheory
A money back guarantee minus 20% is not a money back guarantee. There are people who's entire business model is the sell products they know are crap and their ONLY INTENTION is to make money on "restocking fees" for returned merchandise, which is priced high enough in the first place that the restocking fee is significant.

I haven't seen Tom's program, but if I send him $500 bucks for it, he could send me a program that didn't do ANYTHING and still keep $100 if I returned it. That's fair? Restocking fees are tools for scammers. It just isn't good business.

Legitimate vendors with a product they believe in should either offer a FULL money back guarantee or make a demo version that can really show you what the software can do. But to buy something sight unseen where the risk is on the buyer? No thanks.

============================

:D Why should they give you anything back if you were dumb enough to buy garbage in the first place? Caveat Emptor, eh, Brutus? Heh, heh! :D

VetScratch
07-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Game is right.

Example: If you go to Techsmith to look into Snagit, much of what they claim sounds too good to be true for $39.95 (sound familiar handicappers?). However, you get unlimited free use for a 30-day trial period so that you can evaluate their claims.

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 01:24 AM
VetScratch,

Let me ask you something...

Are you interested in purchasing any of these products?

VetScratch
07-17-2003, 01:44 AM
Dave,

Well, I've got at least fifty paid-up software license receipts saved in my Outlook Express "ReceiptRegister" folder.

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Are you saying that these are handicapping software products that you purchase?

VetScratch
07-17-2003, 01:53 AM
In the case of AllWays downloads, I think I am on an installment payment program.:) :) :)

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 02:02 AM
For someone that is so critical of others "waffling" you sure have a difficult time giving a straight answer.

VetScratch
07-17-2003, 02:08 AM
I think it's clear that BRIS users are "paying handsomely" for the "free" software. In my case, the primary allure is the AllWays Custom Card feature, which let's me weight my own database with the race types that I really want/like.

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 02:13 AM
So, back to my original question...

Are you likely to purchase one of these software packages?

VetScratch
07-17-2003, 02:36 AM
The impetus would have to be data because no software trials are offered (that I could find).

I seriously looked at HDW spinoffs but could not find any download/extract specifications; particularly to ensure that you get a full, reliable, standardized extract from all the programs. If I was wrong in assuming HDW downloads are encrypted and undocumented (for the public), I wish someone would set me straight.

With the right data proposition, I could look back on a blind choice among programs with a brighter perspective.

A "software" contest would influence me, however.