PDA

View Full Version : Results files for database use

Handiman
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Need some input. I have never fooled around with results files in software. I always just download the pdf's from Equibase as they are free and I just look at them.

But now I am planning on doing some database work, I will need results that I can put in the database. I don't want to do this by hand obviously, so what is the cheapest way to get usable results files for the cheapest cost?

Thanks,
Handi:)

mmdorn
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Need some input. I have never fooled around with results files in software. I always just download the pdf's from Equibase as they are free and I just look at them.

But now I am planning on doing some database work, I will need results that I can put in the database. I don't want to do this by hand obviously, so what is the cheapest way to get usable results files for the cheapest cost?

Thanks,
Handi:)

Hi Handi,

Bris has Exotic Comma Delimited Result Datafiles for .25 each. I use them from time to time.

Your Buddy,
Mike

dutzman
02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
I would be really interested in a program that works with result charts!

Handiman
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I looked at bris and their download results charts run about $179 a month if memory serves me right. And just the summary results are $74 a month. Now I know that may not be a lot of money for some people, but believe me when i say, develop a bad heart and then retire on a fixed income, $74 a month on top of the $59 for MCP files is a bit much.

But if I am going to develop a database, not much good without results :bang:
at least as far as I see it.

Handi :)

douglasw32
02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I'll donate a months worth to the development.

dartman51
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I looked at bris and their download results charts run about $179 a month if memory serves me right. And just the summary results are $74 a month. Now I know that may not be a lot of money for some people, but believe me when i say, develop a bad heart and then retire on a fixed income, $74 a month on top of the $59 for MCP files is a bit much.

But if I am going to develop a database, not much good without results :bang:
at least as far as I see it.

Handi :)

Handi, if you are paying $59 pr month for the MCP files, I assume you have the unlimited download package that migrated from TSN. If that's the case, you already get unlimited downloads on the XRD results files. That's what I use in all my databases. I lost a few years when they switched over, but they did give me everything back to 01/01/2005. With TSN, I had everything back to 01/01/2001. :)

Jeff P
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Having been down the road of developing a racing database or two <G>... allow me to make a few suggestions.

User demographics... There are quite a few results sources out there... and with each results source there's a percentage of players downloading that particular results source each month. No matter what results source you decide on you are going to leave someone out. Years from now (who knows?) the project might grow to the point to where multiple results sources are handled.

Usefulness... Some of the results sources lend themselves to being useful for databases... others don't. I'd recommend staying away from .PDF files as parsing them can be a bitch. Generally, comma delimited results files are pretty easy to parse... as are text charts although those can sometimes take a little more work.

Required Info... Suggest doing some design work first before diving in and writing code. Decide what info you want to capture in the database (and why.) At a minimum, you'll probably want to capture track, date, race number, distance, surface, track condition, chute indicator, inner/outer course indicator, purse, claiming price, race conditions, name of horse, rider, trainer, owner, weight carried, odds, finish position, mutuel payoffs (if any) along with wager type for each horse, as well as a list of wager types offered on the race itself.

To that end I don't think the summary results files contain enough info to be useful.

However, I do think you'll discover that the 25 cent Brisnet XRD Exotics Results File contains enough info to meet the needs as described above. Btw, if you are a grandfathered in TSN subscriber, access to the 25 cent Brisnet XRD Exotics Results File should be included as part of your subscription price.

If you want to capture more info - such as positional calls, beaten lengths at each call, and (fractional) time at each call... then you'll probably want to use a charts based file.

Just some random thoughts off the top of my head.

-jp