PDA

View Full Version : Takeout Map Of Thoroughbred Tracks

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
US and Canada Tracks only
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/02/map-of-thoroughbred-racetrack-inthe-us.html

tzipi
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/02/map-of-thoroughbred-racetrack-inthe-us.html

It's like playing a game trying to hit such tracks like Belmont even in zoom. :D Cool tool though.

andymays
02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Nice! :ThmbUp:

Backstretch Pirate
02-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Interesting that Hastings has only a 12% takeout in the show pool.

elhelmete
02-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I think there's a lot of great stuff there, especially to counter arguments about certain states/tracks having egregious takeouts.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
I think there's a lot of great stuff there, especially to counter arguments about certain states/tracks having egregious takeouts.
My personal belief is anything over 14% is egregious.

1st time lasix
02-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Even though I am an exotic player 90-95% of the time......I no longer put a single dime into any pool that takes more than 21%. At Tampa for instance...no tris or supers. Obviously forced to consider doubles/pic 3 or 4's when trying to parlay multiple opinions. Thx for the map!

elhelmete
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
My personal belief is anything over 14% is egregious.

Oh, I don't disagree with you, but I was meaning more that it was surprising to see how some jurisdictions cherry pick certain types of bets for 25% and up rake and/or have overall high rates that go un-noticed whilst people beat up on California tracks, for instance. Compared to SOME other tracks, the rake in SoCal can sometimes look generous.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh, I don't disagree with you, but I was meaning more that it was surprising to see how some jurisdictions cherry pick certain types of bets for 25% and up rake and/or have overall high rates that go un-noticed whilst people beat up on California tracks, for instance. Compared to SOME other tracks, the rake in SoCal can sometimes look generous.
California has some of the highest rates out there. However, Los Al recently increased takeout further away from what most studies have found is the optimum takeout rate (which is 14% or lower).

If I were a California track, I would promote the heck out of their takeout rates (especially WPS and tris and supers).

cj
02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Another big problem is there are way too many horses on that map.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 05:22 PM
California has some of the highest rates out there. However, Los Al recently increased takeout further away from what most studies have found is the optimum takeout rate (which is 14% or lower).

If I were a California track, I would promote the heck out of their takeout rates (especially WPS and tris and supers).
I meant to say California has some of the better rates (lower rates).

But it is no excuse to raise rates.

Any increase of rates from here on in by any track, any time, helps adds fuel to the decline in handle, and drop off of customers. You can't take more money from a shrinking pie, or the pie will shrink even more.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Should Manor Downs be added? California Fairs? Where should the line be drawn? Takeout info on North Dakota Horse Track is near impossible to find.
What other tracks are missing?
Is it worth doing a similar map for harness racing?

hansend
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Should Manor Downs be added? California Fairs? Where should the line be drawn? Takeout info on North Dakota Horse Track is near impossible to find.
What other tracks are missing?
Is it worth doing a similar map for harness racing?

Not sure how detailed you want to get but for Nebraska and a correction for Fonner Park.

Fonner Park Grand Island, NE Feb - May
Lincoln State Fair Park Lincoln, NE May - July
Horsemans Park Omaha, NE July (just 1 weekend)
Ag Park Columbus, NE July - September

I couldn't tell you takeouts for the last 3, but I would think they are similar to Fonner.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Not sure how detailed you want to get but for Nebraska and a correction for Fonner Park.

Fonner Park Grand Island, NE Feb - May
Lincoln State Fair Park Lincoln, NE May - July
Horsemans Park Omaha, NE July (just 1 weekend)
Ag Park Columbus, NE July - September

I couldn't tell you takeouts for the last 3, but I would think they are similar to Fonner.
Thanks. I didn't know there was a circuit in NE. I would assume the other tracks have the same takeout.

rwwupl
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/...k-inthe-us.html

Thanks, a good effort....rwwupl

hansend
02-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks. I didn't know there was a circuit in NE. I would assume the other tracks have the same takeout.

Yeah, we try. Just like other tracks they are not doing so well. Fonner had to drop a few days of racing. If we are doing anything right we are at least not competing against each other.

Robert Goren
02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
I know no one really cares, but for the record Atokad in South Sioux City, Nebraska will race for one day, yet to be determined. It like the Omaha track (one weekend only) is run by the Nebraska horsemen so they can run a simulcast site. This is required state law and, believe it or not, is part of the state Constitution. It would require a vote of the people to change it. An attempt in the legislature to put it on the ballot just failed this week. It could be put on the ballot by petition. I do not know if anyone will try. Even if they did, an antigambling group called "The Nebraskans for the Good Life" would attempt to tie it up in court. Such is the sad state of affairs of horseracing in Nebraska.

JohnGalt1
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
An interesting way to present the take outs, thanks.

Am I the only one (dork/handicapper) to look at the map like the finsh of a race?

Suffolk winning by a neck over Saratoga with a photo for third and fourth. And poor Golden Gate trailing the field.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
In the harness racing section too, but I'll repost here. Google map of harness tracks:
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/02/map-of-usa-and-canadian-harness.html