PDA

View Full Version : Race Track Business

misscashalot
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
What is the primary business of race tracks, and are they doing a good job?

Robert Goren
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
making money and no JMO

gillenr
02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Selling pari-mutual tickets, & no they are doing a poor job.

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Some of these tracks http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/ will not allow me and other interested parties to enter the party tomorrow.

So with that in mind, i would suggest selling Pari Mutuel tickets is not high on thier agenda :)

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
If i were a gaffer i'd be getting those races on Cristblog on UK tv and live video, also allow Tote acces and to see what comes along.

Don't know what deal is with Betfair and i do not care tbh, but there must some deal with NYRA etc and going by amounts traded they seem to be repeating rewards

A bit more work from people on things like drug issues etc and US racing could be competeting with Meydan and then UK racing forthe betting ££££, Euro's or whatever.

46zilzal
02-19-2010, 06:28 PM
The front office tells us that they are in the ENTERTAINMENT business

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Front office will probably be shut Zil, if they don't get the product out there.

CincyHorseplayer
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
To do as little as humanly possible,exert the least amount of physical and mental energy,other than to open the doors and collect the cash,til the industry dies.Then get another job.

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 07:13 PM
GP other day, no live video or tv 5k traded, SA (r7 tonight) live video (which is crap btw) , but no tv, 20k traded

Aqu, live video, UKtv coverage and you have 30,40, 50, 60k traded.

Don't think it takes much working out from our sample above that tv coverage has POWER to entertain and make US racing MONEY.

Make money and you can consider lowering TO, lower TO and you may make even MORE MONEY.

Fix a few things that are broke (raceday meds) and you may even attract NEW costomers to your sport, making MORE MONEY.

ranchwest
02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
From what I've seen, the goal of tracks is to tick people off and to get in customers' pockets and have the customers feel every single penny exiting their pocket.

They're doing a great job of achieving the above goal.

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Just been to soccer markets on Betfair

Premier League - 5 games - around 1 million GBP traded and matches don't start for about another 12 hours.

Bookies will have plenty of the action on these, just like they do with racing from UK, Ire and markets they provide for France, HK , Oz

Gambling mad over this side of pond - sort your sport out and come and get some US racing.

Robert Goren
02-19-2010, 08:43 PM
How much of that soccer action goes to players?

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Might be wrong , but i don't think any other sport gets money from betting like racing does Robert.

There is a big pond out there with loads of fish in it and if your product is seen as fairly clean, plenty of free info and tv/media coverage your on to a nice hual. I think

What the hell US racing and US government, US State leaders are waiting for i just don't know.

Robert Goren
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
The only non-racing sport that I know of is Jai Alai.

fast4522
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Bad business is the model of choice for the racetracks. Because as managers in this sector their performance is only judged against another's bad model. Put any of these managers into another sector and it would mean retirement 99% of them.

Charlie D
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Only 99% Fast :D

Leonard
02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Bad business is the model of choice for the racetracks. Because as managers in this sector their performance is only judged against another's bad model. Put any of these managers into another sector and it would mean retirement 99% of them.

With only a few exceptions (Keeneland and Saratoga come to mind) you are exactly right. Throw in the horse racing world's version of TARP, slot money, and bad business models are actually rewarded. The worse shape they are in the better.

Oh no! We have completely ruined our business by driving away all of our customers! What do we do?

Lobby for slots because that is the only thing that will save us and our racing product.

Yea! Now we have slots to support our horse racing!

What's horse racing? This is a slots destination.