PDA

View Full Version : Gio Ponti is coming to Tampa

Moyers Pond
02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
What a great get for this track. It may even get me there this weekend.

Good luck to the Gio connections as they prep for the $10 Million race in Dubai.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/February/17/Gio-Ponti-set-for-season-debut-at-Tampa-Bay.aspx

FenceBored
02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
A nice easy spot for him as a tune up.

joanied
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
:jump: Excellent...can't wait to see him again.

boomman
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
When I met some of the H.A.N.A guys at Tampa a couple of weeks ago, General Manager Peter Berube stopped by and told us he was hopeful that Gio Ponti would be running in this event. Congratulations TBD, and keep up the good work! And as I said in another thread kudos to Tampa Bay Downs & the V.I.P. treatment they gave us on 2-6-10.:ThmbUp:

:) Boomer

only11
02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
When I met some of the H.A.N.A guys at Tampa a couple of weeks ago, General Manager Peter Berube stopped by and told us he was hopeful that Gio Ponti would be running in this event. Congratulations TBD, and keep up the good work! And as I said in another thread kudos to Tampa Bay Downs & the V.I.P. treatment they gave us on 2-6-10.:ThmbUp:

:) Boomer
Boom are you heading to Tampa Sat?

Space Monkey
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
A nice easy spot for him as a tune up.

Sure, he should win, but I don't see this race as a walkover. Karelian, Mambo Meister and Pickapocket are no slouches. There may be some good value plays in this race.

Backstretch Pirate
02-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Sure, he should win, but I don't see this race as a walkover. Karelian, Mambo Meister and Pickapocket are no slouches. There may be some good value plays in this race.

I agree, looks like a good one to bet against.

Quagmire
02-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Good Call :ThmbUp:

Zippy Chippy
02-22-2010, 09:06 AM
i just watched the race. Looks like Gio Ponti got up!!!

CryingForTheHorses
02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
i just watched the race. Looks like Gio Ponti got up!!!

He came,He saw,He lost...But what a thriller

the little guy
02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
He came,He saw,He finished second, was badly fouled by the winner, and somehow wasn't placed first

FTFY.

CryingForTheHorses
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
FTFY.

Dont understand this???

the little guy
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
FTFY = Fixed That For You.

I just assumed you wanted to accurately portray what happened.

Cardus
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Dont understand this???

I'm with you.

I always thought that that notation meant, "F--k That, F--k You."

This helps to explain things.

hracingplyr
02-23-2010, 02:40 PM
if Tampa Bay would ban Jamie Ness like they did Kirk Zadie we would have a great track here 36% wins, give me a break.

CryingForTheHorses
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM
FTFY = Fixed That For You.

I just assumed you wanted to accurately portray what happened.

I myself dont think anything is wrong except the rule that states that a jockey must maintain a straight course. Didnt seem to apply here,I didnt see contact from either horse.When you lose the inner turf rail in the stretch horses tend to drift either way.Also a horse will also tend to throw their shoulder against another horse to try to avoid getting passed,Thats why you see horses drifting or in when they are confronted..

Space Monkey
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Gio was a little washed out in the post parade and was fractious in the gate. He had to be backed out and RD had to dismount. Unusual, as I don't remember him ever having gate/behavior problems before. With Mambo and Pick scratching, it allowed Karelian to set a leisurely pace. I knew Gio was in trouble after the half. As far as the stretch run and foul claim is concerned, I thought the result should stand. A little intimidation is all it was and I remember a guy named Angel Cordero (one of my top 5 jockeys of all time) made a career out of it. Good job Tampa stewards!

cj
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
It was herding, plain and simple. Stewards have zero consistency when it comes to this tactic. This was won in true "Gallop Racer" style, making him run sideways instead of straight.

The pace, by the way, was a total crawl. I wouldn't hold this race against Gio anyway, it was just exercise.

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm with you.

I always thought that that notation meant, "F--k That, F--k You."

This helps to explain things.That would make absolutely no sense given the context of TLG's reply.

Pace Cap'n
02-25-2010, 07:15 AM
The correct internets terminology is FYP..."fixed your post".

Stillriledup
02-25-2010, 07:31 AM
I watched this replay again and saw the headons, i believe this was an absolutely spectacular 'leave up' by the judges. In my opinion (humble at that) people believe that Gio Ponti was being carried out by the inside horse, i feel that a little bit of the reverse happened...i think when Gio Ponti started drifting badly under the left hand stick, the winner just followed him out.....the winner seemed to have a herd instinct and played follow the 'leader'. So, i believe that if you really look at this tape carefully, there's really no proof that Gio Ponti was drifting because he 'saw' the inside horse carrying him out. If Gio wanted to be put up, he had to hold his ground and take the bump. You can't assume his drifting was caused by the inside horse coming out.

Cardus
02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
That would make absolutely no sense given the context of TLG's reply, so I figured that you were just having fun. Well played, Cardus.

FTFY.

the little guy
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I watched this replay again and saw the headons, i believe this was an absolutely spectacular 'leave up' by the judges. In my opinion (humble at that) people believe that Gio Ponti was being carried out by the inside horse, i feel that a little bit of the reverse happened...i think when Gio Ponti started drifting badly under the left hand stick, the winner just followed him out.....the winner seemed to have a herd instinct and played follow the 'leader'. So, i believe that if you really look at this tape carefully, there's really no proof that Gio Ponti was drifting because he 'saw' the inside horse carrying him out. If Gio wanted to be put up, he had to hold his ground and take the bump. You can't assume his drifting was caused by the inside horse coming out.

wow.

RXB
02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
In my opinion (humble at that) people believe that Gio Ponti was being carried out by the inside horse, i feel that a little bit of the reverse happened...i think when Gio Ponti started drifting badly under the left hand stick, the winner just followed him out.....the winner seemed to have a herd instinct and played follow the 'leader'. So, i believe that if you really look at this tape carefully, there's really no proof that Gio Ponti was drifting because he 'saw' the inside horse carrying him out. If Gio wanted to be put up, he had to hold his ground and take the bump. You can't assume his drifting was caused by the inside horse coming out.

I agree, except for the part about the left-hand stick as Dominguez didn't whip lefthanded from that point onward.

It looks as though Gio Ponti was trying to get away from Karelian, and Karelian followed him out. I can understand why the stewards left Karelian up. If Karelian had bore out continously into Gio Ponti's path initially, then there's obvious cause for a DQ. But after he first came toward GP, Karelian straightened himself without causing interference. GP then started drifting out, and Karelian followed him. GP might have been intimidated but there was no foul that instigated the intimidation.

cj
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
wow.

Had you simply used an emoticon I actually would have left it up given the special circumstances.

the little guy
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Had you simply used an emoticon I actually would have left it up given the special circumstances.

Apparantly, now he drifted and the winner followed him. That's precious stuff.

RXB
02-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I stand by what I said. Watched a lot of horse races, consider myself a reasonable person. Watched the replay of that stretch run a few times. If you disagree, fine, but maybe try something other than contemptuous, snide remarks to back your position.

Stillriledup
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
wow.

Thanks for the compliment. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
02-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I stand by what I said. Watched a lot of horse races, consider myself a reasonable person. Watched the replay of that stretch run a few times. If you disagree, fine, but maybe try something other than contemptuous, snide remarks to back your position.

There is no sensible way anybody could watch the head on of that race and come to your conclusion. Sorry.

Cardus
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Rubbish.

FenceBored
02-26-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm fascinated by the horses behind them. Why the heck are they going along with the parade? Finally one or two figure out that they're not going straight, but ... really. Don't know whether that tidbit of silliness effected the stewards decision.

Stillriledup
02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Rubbish.

:ThmbUp:

Thanks, appreciate that!

mountainman
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Apparantly, now he drifted and the winner followed him. That's precious stuff.

Since we're being such sticklers for correctness, this post would 'imply' that you can't spell. Not to worry, your secret is safe with the forum's 7,000 or so members-and its countless guests.

Dahoss9698
02-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Spelling? That's some grudge to be carrying.

For someone so confident in themselves they would proclaim their opinion weighs a horse down 5 points (anyone really believe that?) that seems kind of petty.