PDA

View Full Version : Curling

skate
02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Saw a little narrative on Curling, the other nite.

I recon, the Canadiens put Curling into the Olympics, which is great.

I had no idea that the sport still exist, let alone so close to the USA. And as stated by Greenberg, the top curlers are noted thru out the country and take second to only Wayne Gretski (?).

boomman
02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I LOVE the Olympics as a whole, but this sport is the Olympic equivalent of watching paint dry :D The guys with the "brooms" looks idiotic, too!

Boomer

GameTheory
02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I like watching curling. One of my favorites of the winter events. Probably wouldn't if it was more than once every four years, but it is good for a change of pace.

Greyfox
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
The game is very TV friendly. A great viewer and strategist sport.

Trotman
02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I like curling it's kind of like snooker on ice.

BillW
02-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I was flipping back and forth between the curling and the Dish earth channel. Riveting action!

banacek
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
As a prairie boy in Canada, I curled. It is a really interesting game to play, not as much on tv - unless you play it. Like golf or bowling on TV..I golf and enjoy watching it, but bowling, no so much.

Interestingly, most of my racetrack friends were also curlers. My dad did three things, curled, played the ponies, and went to the football games. Racing was always number 1. Some of you may have read Cracking the Track (something like that) fom James Park in Edmonton. His son is also involved with the races, about my age. He used to play for the same skip, Kevin Martin, who is Canada's rep at the Olympics.

And curlers are well known, but nowhere near hockey players...like a twentieth - maybe. The biggest tv events in Canada are the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup. And if Canada is in the Gold Medal game for the Olympics in hockey, would be a good time to loot some stores, the country will be shut down.

DeanT
02-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Curling is like, awesome. Like Banacek I played a bit too. Quite fun.

* Excellent strategic game that takes some thinking
* Drinking while curling is not only allowed, it is encouraged
* The bubbles on the ice make a neat sound when you throw the rock
* Anyone can make a rock curl, which is really cool, especially if you are drinking while playing
* Curling wives will often pick up their husbands at the rink because they know they've been boozing ...... no questions asked
* Curling is actually a Scottish game. They brought it over on a boat, along with Glenfiddich. We stole it from them, kinda like how the US stole Buffalo from us

If anyone has the chance, go curling. I bet you will like that strange game.

BillW
02-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Glenfiddich.

Hmmm, I could get to like this game ;)

Robert Goren
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
* Curling is actually a Scottish game. They brought it over on a boat, along with Glenfiddich. We stole it from them, kinda like how the US stole Buffalo from us
Can we give it back?;)

rastajenk
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Curling on a large HD tv is pretty cool. That rock is comin' right atcha!

Backstretch Pirate
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Interestingly, most of my racetrack friends were also curlers. My dad did three things, curled, played the ponies, and went to the football games. Racing was always number 1. Some of you may have read Cracking the Track (something like that) fom James Park in Edmonton. His son is also involved with the races, about my age. He used to play for the same skip, Kevin Martin, who is Canada's rep at the Olympics.

That's right Banacek. Dr. Park talks about curling on his website(gapfire.com) all the time.
His son Kevin just won the right to represent Manitoba at this year's Brier.
I think he is the site's webmaster.

Backstretch Pirate
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I LOVE the Olympics as a whole, but this sport is the Olympic equivalent of watching paint dry :D The guys with the "brooms" looks idiotic, too!

Boomer

Take a little time to understand it Boomman. It's got about the same spectator value as baseball once you understand the game. I find it a lot more interesting than watching most of the sports at the games.

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen curling (on tv) in years but do recall it as a great fun to watch. Kind of like inter-active, slow-motion shuffleboard.

Dave

sandpit
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I've kinda grown to like it; some of the women participating are pretty attractive...come a long way from the East German women swimmers...

johnhannibalsmith
02-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Boomer

If you could figure out how to bet on it, you'd be hosting web seminars explaining each and every of the inctricacies... :kiss:

banacek
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
If you could figure out how to bet on it, you'd be hosting web seminars explaining each and every of the inctricacies... :kiss:

Hi Johnhannibalsmith

Sure you can bet on it!

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/League/Curling/Olympic/1/Lines.aspx

(From an earlier incarnation of George Peppard

Thomas Banacek)

PhantomOnTour
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Its marbles on ice.

boomman
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

TRUE! Can I get 800x1 on the U.S. team to medal????:lol:

Boomer

46zilzal
02-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Its marbles on ice.
Actually lawn bowling adapted to winter and until I met several fans who explained the nuances of it to me, I do thought it was dull.

LOTS of thought goes into the production of blocking shots, protecting rocks, etc.

eastie
02-19-2010, 01:18 AM
they have a cool curling club in Albany. another find from going to Saratoga. Good family sport, you can play from 12 to 74 years old.

rastajenk
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Golfers might be interested to know that the granite for almost all the stones is quarried from the Ailsa Craig, that big rock off the shore at Turnberry during the British Open last year. Something about it is perfect for creating a gliding surface, I guess. For what that's worth. :cool:

I liked the Danish chix last night, in their skirts and tights. :p The Americans look like a wholesome crew :ThmbUp: . The lack of tattoos in a sporting event is appealing, too.

Greyfox
02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Vancouver -(Gfoxnews services) Curling Delayed

"The opening of Friday afternoon's curling matches suffered an unexpected delay.
Prior to the games the male curlers received a surprise video conference call from golfer Tiger Woods. He wished them good luck and then stated:

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

When the games started the leads on all sheets refused to throw first.
After several minutes an Olympic Official called them together and they threw
their first rocks in unison."