PDA

View Full Version : Troubled Trips comments

kroebuck67
02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for keywords in the comments for troubled trips. So far I've come up with "traffic", "bumped", and "clipped".

Any more suggestions? I'm sure I'll come up with more after perusing some old PP's but if anyone thinks of one to save time, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hurricanefrank
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
How about "stumbled", "steadied" and "checked".

kroebuck67
02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Very good, thanks Frank!

Trotman
02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
All off well except, when you see that it's all down hill
from there.

raybo
02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm looking for keywords in the comments for troubled trips. So far I've come up with "traffic", "bumped", and "clipped".

Any more suggestions? I'm sure I'll come up with more after perusing some old PP's but if anyone thinks of one to save time, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have conditional formatting in my Excel spreadsheet that highlights these words in the comments (I copied straight from Excel so it looks like a mess but you can still make them out):

ALT CRS HOPPED ;BLED BLK'D BLOCKED BOB BOBBLED BOLTED BORE OUT BOXED BROKE IN AIR CHECKED CK'D DROPPED WHIP EASED HIT GATE INTERFERENCE JUMP KNOCKED LACKED ROOM LAME LOST RIDER LOST WHIP LUGGED NO ROOM PINCHED PULLED UP REARED ROUGH SQUEEZED SQZ'D STEAD STEADIED STOPPED STUM STUMB STUMBLED TAKEN UP TANGLE TOOK UP WIDE; 6W LOST FOOTING

46zilzal
02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
You have to know how the chart man usually describes trouble as they are variable and one description does not equal anothers. BEST to see the race and judge how much any specific trouble effected the outcome and judge for yourself.

I vividly recall taping Unbridled's Blue Grass and seeing his trouble late in the race costing him a placing. Read the chart and there was NO MENTION of it.

While many others that year downgraded that performance as somehow going backwards, a viewing of the race told a different tale.

LottaKash
02-16-2010, 04:14 AM
"Blindswitched"....

Tom
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Wide
Jumped alligator

acorn54
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
i have done research if any significance can be placed on "trouble" comments
i have seen no correlation with a horses troubled trip race and the performance of said horse in future races.

STABLEMATE
02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Wide
Jumped alligator

Sounds like a croc to me, Tom! ;)

Mike

1st time lasix
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
why not-"pin head jockey" ....."What was he thinking?"....."Was he purposely trying to lose" ....."rider must have forgot it was a route"....."race may have been fixed" or "What planet was rider on" :bang:

arno
02-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Dwelt

A horse that does not immediately get away when the stalls open, is said to have “dwelt at the start”.

Deepsix
02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
The comment about no correlation between a horse's troubled trip and it's next start has caught my eye. I'm not sure what was intended by this comment and I'd appreciate a little more discussion on that point, if you don't mind?! It seems to me that with a 'troubled trip' there is ALWAYS something to consider???

acorn54
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
simply put the horses record is what matters in today's race from my research. if the horse had trouble in his race previously, it doesn't seem to matter in today's contest. of course this is the personal conclusion i have drawn, interpeting the data results.

Deepsix
02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks acorn.... I have a different experience and the availablity of replays sure helps a person attempt to measure the degree of the trouble and what weight I might place on it. I'd be curious how those guys with software factor (weigh) the 'trouble' and how it impacts the various fractions/energy/etc. ?

Complicated, I understand, and maybe not friendly to brief discussions.

acorn54
02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
well i can't quantify the trouble. but i don't argue that if a horse has trouble in a race it underperforms for that race.

douglasw32
02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Hit bird

Deepsix
02-16-2010, 10:22 PM
<smile> Hit Bird~ I guess you mean you'd treat it like a bird strike??? A very occasional happenstance?? I find the within nearly every field within a race there are horses that encountered some trouble in their previous races. I do look for 'trouble' and I do attempt to adjust "something??" for it.

My experience is that software tends to smooth the previous races and the details (troubled trips) loses its importantance. If I miss-read I apologize.

Just asking.

Dan H
02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Although not on point, I noticed my data provider (ITS data) has two sets of trip comments, one longer (with more notes) than the other. I'm not sure if trouble notes make it into both sets. I can check if anybody really thinks it's important.

LottaKash
02-16-2010, 11:02 PM
For me, unless a horse was in form and fit enough to suggest that he had a legitimate shot to "win or seriously contend" in the "trouble-race", I don't put much stock in a horse's troubled race....It is probably irrelevant..

raybo
02-16-2010, 11:56 PM
The importance of trouble lines, for me, primarily concerns the selection of a representative paceline or pacelines. If the trouble line can be verified by a study of it's fractional times or figures or fractional beaten lengths, then, this means to me that that paceline can be excused. If the trouble line cannot be verified to have negatively affected his performance, in and of itself, then the poor performance was due to something else, form, pace, distance, surface/condition, etc..

This is why my program highlights certain words or phrases in the comments, to alert me to check and verify it's importance.

STABLEMATE
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
And the "shadiest" excuse of all: "jumped at a shadow". :confused:

harntrox
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
TroubleTime is used by Les Onaka in Quarterhorse racing. It might be one of 3 valid stats used to rate those horses (...j/k..sort of..used to play Los Al)

Hooking up different troubletimes to user-supplied keywords with some heavy regression testing might prove useful, or not.

seeing all the keywords just makes me shake my head and agree that there are certain things computers were not made for. 800 year old slang terms used at random being a good example of what not to analyse, methinks.

lol 'Hit Bird' makes me want to write some C++ code to support that common angle ...

douglasw32
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Hit bird

Or this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPu6CJNlFrw