PDA

View Full Version : Sports betting

Valuist
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
I was wondering how many people here bet on team sports. I love to bet football, college or pro. There's plenty of time to handicap so there's no excuse for making an uninformed bet. Baseball and basketball are too much of a grind, IMO. You miss a day or two and you are lost.

It's July 1 and I just bought the Feist Pro Football Preview. Exhibition season starts in 1 month and the real thing in 2.

andicap
07-01-2003, 04:56 PM
My cousin bets pro football, pretty large amounts and I know he does win. He doesn't follow any of the off-season stuff, who got drafted, free-agency, etc. and still wins.

He's just real familar with how the lines work and he knows a good/bad line when he sees it. I don't really understand how he does it, but believe me he's successful (not every year of course, but he's well ahead over the past 5 years -- )

I mean he follows the sport -- he goes to sports bars almost every Sunday and watches 6-8 games a week. BUt its not like he's taking notes or scouting or anything, he's just watching.

I ask him why he bet on someone and lots of times he can't even say -- just a feeling or he'll say something vague like "They're playing well" or "I just thought they would be able to run the ball on them."

Last year he watched Vick one game and loved him so much he started betting on him blindly (he know the pts of course, but bet no matter what) and won 5 weeks in a row or so.

He then picked Atlanta to beat GB in GB in theplayoffs just because of Vick even tho EVERYONE knew GB can't lose in the cold in January.

Valuist
07-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Fans love offense and passing but defense and the running game are what win games and bets in football. The team that wins the rushing battle covers 70% of the time.

Lefty
07-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Don't bet sports. I put in so much time on horses no time left over for othr sports. And sports takes a much bigger BR.
If I were betting sports i'd use all information I could get to make my own line then look for disparities, i.e. overlays.

race_n_ponys
07-02-2003, 12:34 AM
yeah i think there is money in it,.........but you really have to put the time in,........there is no easy way around it,......and if you think like the public and think like the media wants you to,.....you will not have a bank roll to continue with,........i am a couple years removed from betting any kind of serious money on pro-college sports, but if you are willing to put the time and effort in,and use discipline, you can turn profits,...........my main thing was never mind all the stupid irrelevant stats,etc,.........but was more with where the oddsmakers and the public saw the line,........and also it seems the media could always talk up a game and a side to be a cant loose.................only to be a definate cover, more times than not,...........one of my best ways of making a paycheck from the off shores was to keep track of every pro nba game and keep track of about 3-4 off shore lines and then, keep track of the score,....................it was always amazing how the oddsmakers would have some way-off lines the next time they matched up(i know that you give the home team 5-6 points) but even still they would have the line way out of whack,..........and then you could see nationally publicated newspapers on the game, trying to lure the public one way,............i mean::: if the 76'ers........played atlanta on the road and they were favored by 3..............and they won by 12..................if they matched up again in like a week or two and there were no injuries ,etc,.......and lets say it was on national tv...............and with the 76ers being at home.........they should be favored by 8............well alot of times you would see the line at 5 or 5 1/2, just begging for that public money..................so if you can put the time in and do the work, you will see some great lines out there,........just dont fall into that public hype...........that the oddsmakers and all the newspapers want you to,.............you really need to put in the time and effort to make a buck, otherwise be careful and wager for entertainment purposes only!!!

kenwoodall
07-02-2003, 07:55 AM
I only bet ponies and NFL playoffs. Lst 10 years no losing year, win abot 2/3 at 10% profit. I only bey playoofs and superbowl, bet only the favored team to beat the spead.

Valuist
07-03-2003, 11:13 AM
The favorites may cover in the NFL playoffs, but doggies are the way to go during the regular season. The best advice I've heard: use Power Ratings, and ignore straight-up win/loss records, which is what the public loves to overbet.

andicap
07-03-2003, 12:34 PM
My cousin plays mostly underdogs in the regular season as well.
He LOVES getting points.