PDA

View Full Version : Humorous view, corporate America

ljb
07-01-2003, 01:30 PM
; ;Corporate Management Notice
The Americans and Japanese decide to engage in a boat race. Both teams practiced hard and long to reach their peak performance. On the big day they felt ready. The Japanese won by a mile.
The American team was discouraged by the loss. Morale sagged. Corporate management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat had to Be found, so a consulting firm was hired to investigate the problem and recommend corrective action.
The consultant's findings: The Japanese team had eight people rowing and one person steering; the American team had one person rowing and eight people steering.
After a year of study and millions spent analyzing the problem, the consulting firm concluded that too many people were steering and not enough rowing on the American team. So as race day neared again the following year, the American team's management structure was completely reorganized.
The new structure: four steering managers, three area steering managers and a new performance review system for the person rowing the boat to Provide work incentive.
This time the Japanese won by TWO miles!!!
Humiliated, the American corporation laid off the rower for poor performance and gave the managers a bonus for discovering the problem.

Show Me the Wire
07-01-2003, 01:34 PM
ljb:

Which type of manager were you in the hypothetical? I know you were not the rower.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Show Me the Wire
07-01-2003, 04:08 PM
ljb:

After contemplating my own question, I believe you would be in charge of performance review.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

andicap
07-01-2003, 05:00 PM
As much as Ilike to make fun of corporate America, have you seen the Japanese economy these days??

I have to laugh at all these "miracle" economies like Japan in the'80s, Germany, etc., all having their problems.

Just goes to show you -- you can't repeal the economic cycle tho you can make it better/worse with govt policy. (Dems and Reps. As much as I respect Jimmy Carter his economic policy was pretty much a disaster until Paul Volcker got inflation under control by strangling the economy.)

:D

Tom
07-02-2003, 12:06 PM
The Japanese stole the plans for thier boat from the Americans.
All of the rowers attended American Oar Colleges. The manufacturing techniques usd to streamline the ors themselves were copied from an American plant.
Like the real world.

BTW, BLT.....Japan's rather quick rise from ancient fuedalins to to world class status came after what event?
Hmmm.......a war with the US, after which we imposed our will and culture upon them! HAHA...we just never stop, do we?
You know, losing a War to the US is probably the best thing that can happen to a country.

Show Me the Wire
07-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Tom:

All I can say is "Duck Soup".

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality