PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn cancelled after the 3rd race.......

Bettowin
02-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Bad track conditions? I know it was cold and windy but missed the announcement. I was looking forward to the Stakes race for 3you colts today.

joanied
02-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Jeeze...me too...what happened?

redshift1
02-15-2010, 04:46 PM
They need pro-ride.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-15-2010, 04:53 PM
They need pro-ride.
Maybe Andy can truck some in from Santa Anita.

BluegrassProf
02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Winds and freezing conditions, apparently. Impending wintery stormage @ Turfway, as well.

Knowing the unpredictable disaster that is Pro-Ride, put it in the cold and it probably...I dunno...explodes.

Handle cautiously.

Pell Mell
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
They had a warning out early this morning for high winds.

I wonder when they will run this race. A lot of shipping was involved.

redshift1
02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Winds and freezing conditions, apparently. Impending wintery stormage @ Turfway, as well.

Knowing the unpredictable disaster that is Pro-Ride, put it in the cold and it probably...I dunno...explodes.

Handle cautiously.

It's also been linked with Climate Change according to some hacked e-mails.

FenceBored
02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, first the Robert Lewis on the 6th, now the Southwest. Domonation is a weather jinx.

Grits
02-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Hope this is not a problem the second week and weekend in April. Man, would that be a bummer.

One can sit at Keeneland huddled against low 30s and winds, easily, in early April.

Arkansas'll be warmer. (I hope.)

**Important note to self**

Keep mink home; don't take back to my furrier for storage until end of April. If I lose at the track, may have to hock it. Damn, I'd hate to part with it. :lol:

miesque
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Ok, which of the California shippers is the jonah? First the Robert Lewis on the 6th, now the Southwest. One of these guys is a weather jinx.

:D I am just glad this one can't be laid on me, because I have a well above average incidents of "bad weather" when I visit tracks which can range from rain, snow, sleet, obscene heat, unseasonably cool, high winds, etc. Its a pretty big running joke with my racing friends and me. Its so bad locusts would not surprise me all that much.

miesque
02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Hope this is not a problem the second week and weekend in April. Man, would that be a bummer.

One can sit at Keeneland huddled against low 30s and winds, easily, in early April.

Arkansas'll be warmer. (I hope.)

**Important note to self**

Keep mink home; don't take back to my furrier for storage until end of April. If I lose at the track, may have to hock it. Damn, I'd hate to part with it. :lol:

:D Thats a great way to look at it!

Bettowin
02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
The featured $250,000 Southwest Stakes, for three-year-olds at one mile, will now be redrawn on Thursday and raced on the ten-race card this coming Saturday, February 20.

http://www.oaklawn.com/News/Story.aspx?Id=230

Bruddah
02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
The featured $250,000 Southwest Stakes, for three-year-olds at one mile, will now be redrawn on Thursday and raced on the ten-race card this coming Saturday, February 20.

http://www.oaklawn.com/News/Story.aspx?Id=230

Oaklawn's mgmt. has always listened to the owners, trainers, jockeys and their own track crews, when taking these actions. It has always been done with the safety of all considered. Including the fans going home on dangerous streets and roads. :ThmbUp:

WinterTriangle
02-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Oaklawn's mgmt. has always listened to the owners, trainers, jockeys and their own track crews, when taking these actions. It has always been done with the safety of all considered.:ThmbUp:

Indeed, that's the deal. I'm at the track today, back to my hotel. The winds were ripping cold. I'm from the northeast, and it would have qualified as a bad day there LOL Very unusual weather here in AR, this rarely happens.

When I left the house going thru the national forests there was still ice on the roads.

JOcks didn't wanna ride and I imagine going 40 mph in that kind of blowing north wind and chill isn't too good for ya lungs, horses or jocks?

I was standing at the refund area, laughing about it (with a good natured {cute} guy, because everyone around us was swearing and cursing. I said "it just gives them something else to be pissed about LOL" " He said: "yeah, they were probably pissed already."

Feb 20th? More bad weather might be coming in on Thursday hope not

Grits
02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
As they say Winter, a bad day at the track, or even one, interrupted, is better than many other days. Glad you had good natured company to share some laughter with, too.

Stillriledup
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
FB is right, its Domonation's fault.

Igeteven
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM

My man, SA will give it too them free, if they promise never to bring it back

WinterTriangle
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I guess since they rescheduled for the 20, the shippers will stay? Hope so.

It was supposed to warm up on Mon, and sun come out and temps were supposed to get to 35 or 36. But neither of those things happened. The track, which was covered with snow the night before, just started to re-freeze into ice clumps as it stayed 30 degrees but was much colder due to those high north winds.

Borel and some of the other riders were coming off the track with cracked goggles---- from flying icy clumps of dirt.

I don't imagine any of the owners wanted their derby potentials to get body or leg-smacked by clods of ice-dirt. :)

Forecast calls for "rain" maybe on thurs or friday here..........weather here changes by the the hour LOL