PDA

View Full Version : Queens New York

michiken
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a potential job interview in Queens, NY............

Since there are a lot of New Yorkers here, what can you tell me about the city (I have never been there)?

Thanks,

Ken

DJofSD
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh brother. Good luck with the interview. I don't know what to say about the other part. Are you interested in New York City in general or just what it's like to work in Queens (and commute every day)?

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Bring your bullet proof vest...only kidding. I work for the city and Queens is one of five boroughs that comprise New York City, the others being Manhattan, Bronx,Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Queens is a large borough and a busy one at that.There are some nice areas to live in the borough such as Forest Hills, Bayside, Douglaston,etc. Plenty of public transportation including subways and buses and taxis.

Good luck!

miesque
02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
One important thing to keep in mind if you are looking at potential employment in that area is to take a real good look at cost of living including tax burden versus other locations. There is also quality of life comparisons but that is all dependent on what you qualities you find most important.

cj's dad
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I lived on Staten Island for a year at the old Holiday Inn and I LOVE New York !!

The big thing is to walk around like you belong and not be intimidated by the locals.

Tom
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Good luck Ken!

Look at the upside.....TOGA!

chickenhead
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
this is important. the first day you're there, find the biggest, meanest, baddest looking dude around, and go beat the living hell out of him -- right out in front of everyone. This puts everyone else on notice.

Or maybe that's prison advice, I can't remember. But it probably works in Queens too.

Grits
02-15-2010, 10:53 PM
The big thing is to walk around like you belong and not be intimidated by the locals.

Drive this way, too. One will seldom have a problem with the locals in traffic.

Michiken, two of my dearest friends work in Manhattan and live in Forest Hills, Queens. Its a fine, and a safe, area of the city.

The cost of living, yes, it is greater in NYC, but often times, too, so are the salaries.

Much good luck!!!;)

Tom
02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
this is important. the first day you're there, find the biggest, meanest, baddest looking dude around, and go beat the living hell out of him -- right out in front of everyone. This puts everyone else on notice.

Or maybe that's prison advice, I can't remember. But it probably works in Queens too.

You might be thinking of "soap-on-a-rope."

michiken
02-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I am just trying to find out a little about the city since I have never been there.

From the comments it sounds like I would be moving to another Detroit with double the cost of living.

Please stop with the soap on a rope and biggest, baddest things. I am too old and wounded to kick someones ass LOL

miesque
02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
I am just trying to find out a little about the city since I have never been there.

From the comments it sounds like I would be moving to another Detroit with double the cost of living.

Please stop with the soap on a rope and biggest, baddest things. I am too old and wounded to kick someones ass LOL

:D Well there are differences but when I made my earlier comment I was thinking to myself you probably want a salary twice what you are getting in Detroit if you are heading to NYC. I have done the math myself on occasion since I am in an industry where all roads lead to New York so to speak and I came up with a factor of 220% with about the same increase in aggrevation.

OTM Al
02-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Its a great city. I moved here from Indiana in 1992. Queens though is a giant sprawling conglomeration of communities, so to tell you anything specific, you'd need to tell what area the job would be in and what type of area you would want to live in.

SOUTHERN SLEW
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I live in Queens and I can absolutely say that its a very lovely city conveniently located to just about any place you would want to commute to.First and foremost Belmont Park and Aqueduct Race Track are easy to get to by public transportation or by car about 30 minutes. JFK and Laguardia airport are withing 30 minutes of each other, there are plenty of affordable hotels close to either JFK or Laguardia airport. The E, F , #7 or LIRR Train will get you into Manhattan within 30 minutes, The LIRR will take you to the various locations in Long Island and there are plenty of local buses just to get around Queens, or you can always get a Yellow Taxi or a local car service that will charge about $10 to take you just about anywhere in the local Queens area.

Dont forget to check out Flushing, if you are interested in dining at a Chinese restaurant as this is our Chinatown, from there the #7 train goes to Manhattan or the LIRR will take you to Long Island, The major highways in Queens are the Grand Central Pkwy and the Long Island Expressway.
If you need any specific information just post your question.

Dave Schwartz
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM

No, no! Don't ever equate living in or near NYC with Detroit!

NYC is a wonderful place. Sure, the cost of living is much higher, but the pay scale goes way up as well.

In addition you get the wonderful lifestyle of NY. It is different and takes an adjustment but you may very well like it.

Personally, I'd like to try living in Manhattan for a year (if I could afford it).

And, as someone mentioned, one of the benefits is you are within driving distance of lots of classic race tracks as well as PA members.

Give it a try.

Dave

riskman
02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I live in NYC and have resided in all of the boros except Staten Island. Life is hectic, energizing and never boring. It is what you make of it- with great dining, professional sports, museums,arts and theater.Despite what you read, it is basically a safe city in most areas and people are friendly once you get to know the "attitude". There is some nice golf courses and if you like fishing there is many spots in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Long Island. The Jersey Shore is a few hours away with fantastic beaches, gambling in Atlantic City and of course Monmouth Race track. I spend more time at Monmouth than Belmont in the summer months. Feel more comfortable there and I like the picnic area track side. Party time with barbecue, beer, betting and opinionated horse players makes a fun day.

You did not mention where in Queens you will have the interview. Learn every thing you can about the company including what they are working on now ,if possible. Prospective employers look favorable on what you know about their company.

Good luck to you and hope it goes well for you.

michiken
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
The company is in Ridgewood near Flushing and Metropolitan.

After doing some research about the cost of living difference:

+ 90% in expected salary.

+ 241% in expected housing and utility costs.

I am sure taxes will be unreasonable too.

How do you guys AFFORD to live there?

riskman
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Most I know have two incomes coming into the household. If you have pre- school children you could pay up to $2000 a month for day care. That's the biggest ticket besides your rent or mortgage. Phone, utilities' cable, Internet are also high but providers are getting desperate offering package deals for Cable, internet and phone. Verizon entered the market a few years ago causing needed competition.
Queens has a lot of national chain stores but you can find good bargains locally if you scope out the neighborhood. There is a City and State income tax plus a 8.875sales and use tax on certain items.Food and clothes excepted. ( I think)

You will have to do some estimates taking all these things into consideration. Also, Auto and Home/Apartment Insurance.

If you do not have pre school children it is easier on your budget.

Look here to get an idea on apartments---http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/

If there is anything I can help you with PM me.

GARY Z
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
. The Jersey Shore is a few hours away with fantastic beaches, gambling in Atlantic City and of course Monmouth Race track. I spend more time at Monmouth than Belmont in the summer months. Feel more comfortable there

Hey Riskman:

Ever think about SAR in the summer months?

You can always watch the races at SAR , and rent a boat at Saratoga Lake.

offtrack
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
If you have talent in your chosen field New York will pay you well for bringing it.

If you live in the Metro area you will not need to own a car.

When you retire you can move to Saratoga, which is where alot of the NYPD retires.

skate
02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Best Restaurants and lots of them..

chickenhead
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
have you tried Tesla Motors out here in Cali? Would seem like a fun place to work. Lots of other mechanical jobs around the Bay. Might be too far from home base, but a person could do a lot worse...

Valuist
02-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Keep in mind he's coming from Detroit.......

Tom
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Might be a few openings at Toyota.
How's that TQS working out for ya all? :rolleyes:

Warren Henry
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
have you tried Tesla Motors out here in Cali? Would seem like a fun place to work. Lots of other mechanical jobs around the Bay. Might be too far from home base, but a person could do a lot worse...
Due to an unfortunate small plane crash, they have three unforseen job vacancies as of today. :(

chickenhead
02-17-2010, 02:56 PM
its terrible. Very very sad. I was glad to hear that Elon was not on board.