PDA

View Full Version : Smith Not to Blame

toetoe
02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Stardom Bound will lose today, as usual (not newsworthy in itself and she's at 2/1 right now ... :faint: ), and her connections will look foolish for jocking Mike Smith off.

Just my firm belief.

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Stardom Bound will lose today, as usual (not newsworthy in itself and she's at 2/1 right now ... :faint: ), and her connections will look foolish for jocking Mike Smith off.

Just my firm belief.

Couldnt agree more-like the 4 and 13....

sonnyp
02-14-2010, 08:26 PM

entities like Zayat and I E A H have opened up the checkbook and made quite a splash. they both were fortunate, far beyond, what realistic people could ever had expected early on, which like a hot new stallion, sure helps to sell the product. however, writing those checks on "other people's money" sure makes those overpriced purchases a lot easier to digest than when it's all your own bucks. ( i don't blame them, the banks and investors go in with open eyes).

things sure do have a way of evening out, and laying out the top dollar in the market time and time again (whether it be the sales ring or private purchase) presents tremendous obsticles to overcome on the bottom line.

as i've heard throughout my life, dancng is great fun but when the dance ends the fiddler must be paid.

what were the lyrics of that song by the Doors ?

"when the music's over......turn out the lights!"

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Leparoux rode a bad race. She was probably not going to win anyway, but JP didnt seem to watch all her races of her entire career. SB's best success was when she trailed the field far back and saved ground on both turns and they swung wide late into the far turn and made that one big run. He rode like he didn't know the horse all that well.

SB had also never been a 1 and 1/8 horse, she's only tried that distance once before with no success.

J Lep was losing ground on the first turn for some unknown reason. She should have been last by 5 lengths and saving ground. At least saving ground on the first turn, i have no idea why SB was very wide on both turns, that's not going to get the job done, especially when this horse is basically a closing sprinter who can only really stretch out to route races with a 'timed run' and having saved ground on turn 1. J Lep did neither.

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Leparoux rode a bad race. She was probably not going to win anyway, but JP didnt seem to watch all her races of her entire career. SB's best success was when she trailed the field far back and saved ground on both turns and they swung wide late into the far turn and made that one big run. He rode like he didn't know the horse all that well.

SB had also never been a 1 and 1/8 horse, she's only tried that distance once before with no success.

J Lep was losing ground on the first turn for some unknown reason. She should have been last by 5 lengths and saving ground. At least saving ground on the first turn, i have no idea why SB was very wide on both turns, that's not going to get the job done, especially when this horse is basically a closing sprinter who can only really stretch out to route races with a 'timed run' and having saved ground on turn 1. J Lep did neither.

I think the horse just isnt what she was....she was peaking with Paasch and has never been the same since....you can blame J Lep but you cant ever know what his instructions were.....what you just explained could have been a result of being told "keep her closer up than Smith has had her, dont get into trouble...."....

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I think the horse just isnt what she was....she was peaking with Paasch and has never been the same since....you can blame J Lep but you cant ever know what his instructions were.....what you just explained could have been a result of being told "keep her closer up than Smith has had her, dont get into trouble...."....

Totally agree. But the jock gets blamed for the ride if he listens to shitty instructions. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be for sure. This is a horse owned by non west coast connections, trained by a non west coast guy and ridden by a guy who doesn't ride often at SA. Mike Smith would have known to keep her farther back and make one move, as opposed to 'keeping her closer' to the pace.

If they fired Smith for 'being too far back' with this particular horse, they're a bunch of bozos, thats the only way she can win is to sit patiently and make one late run that's timed perfectly. If the move is not timed perfectly, she'll hang and not get there.

The absolutely ironic thing about Smith being fired on this horse is that this is one of the horses that he's ridden almost perfectly every time she's ever raced. Smith isnt' as good on overnight claimers, yet he keeps getting overnight mounts.

Smith's ride on this filly in the SA Oaks on March 7 of 09 was an absolutely phenominal ride, he timed it perfectly and she was hanging the entire stretch looking to get beat.

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Totally agree. But the jock gets blamed for the ride if he listens to shitty instructions. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be for sure. This is a horse owned by non west coast connections, trained by a non west coast guy and ridden by a guy who doesn't ride often at SA. Mike Smith would have known to keep her farther back and make one move, as opposed to 'keeping her closer' to the pace.

If they fired Smith for 'being too far back' with this particular horse, they're a bunch of bozos, thats the only way she can win is to sit patiently and make one late run that's timed perfectly. If the move is not timed perfectly, she'll hang and not get there.

The absolutely ironic thing about Smith being fired on this horse is that this is one of the horses that he's ridden almost perfectly every time she's ever raced. Smith isnt' as good on overnight claimers, yet he keeps getting overnight mounts.

Smith's ride on this filly in the SA Oaks on March 7 of 09 was an absolutely phenominal ride, he timed it perfectly and she was hanging the entire stretch looking to get beat.

Good points.......This horse needed a scapegoat and Smith was it....We have all seen "IEAH sucks" threads and I have came around a bit and saw the fact that at least they are in our game contributing money and giving it a go. They did come in with Iavarone saying they would "change racing" and things to that effect. Well, what has happened is something that many fans knew would happen--they have gotten the cold, harsh reality of how hard this game is....it will be interesting to see if they learn from their mistakes or keep repeating them...

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Good points.......This horse needed a scapegoat and Smith was it....We have all seen "IEAH sucks" threads and I have came around a bit and saw the fact that at least they are in our game contributing money and giving it a go. They did come in with Iavarone saying they would "change racing" and things to that effect. Well, what has happened is something that many fans knew would happen--they have gotten the cold, harsh reality of how hard this game is....it will be interesting to see if they learn from their mistakes or keep repeating them...

They're good for the game because they spend money. Problem is that they don't know what they're doing, they aren't racing experts and when you're not a racing expert you're going to lose money at too fast of a rate to stay in the game. 5 years from now, people are going to be saying "whatever happened to IEAH" (at that point, Andymays is going to give a one word answer. Tapioca")

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
They're good for the game because they spend money. Problem is that they don't know what they're doing, they aren't racing experts and when you're not a racing expert you're going to lose money at too fast of a rate to stay in the game. 5 years from now, people are going to be saying "whatever happened to IEAH" (at that point, Andymays is going to give a one word answer. Tapioca")

Agreed-when I analyze them, I think of an NFL onwer like Daniel Snyder...always changing the plan, always more style than substance in terms of spending and never 100 percent trusting those in charge....I cant imagine what kinds of things Iavarone tells the investors....

bisket
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
didn't even see this thread

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 09:16 PM
didn't even see this thread

It started about two minutes before post time....it was weird because I was sitting and watching and wishing Stardom Bound was 2 to 1 in every race I bet....

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Agreed-when I analyze them, I think of an NFL onwer like Daniel Snyder...always changing the plan, always more style than substance in terms of spending and never 100 percent trusting those in charge....I cant imagine what kinds of things Iavarone tells the investors....

Well, Snyder has enough money to do it his way, lose and then hire Mike Shanahan and get in a 'real' coach who's going to do it his way. IEAH doesn't have as much money as Snyder, so they don't have the luxury of a long learning curve. They need to hire me as a racing advisor. Of course, i'm gonna need my own bodyguard if that happens.

Mineshaft
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Lanzman must be smiling all the way to the bank.

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Or, smiling all the way to his lawyers office to pay his legal bills!

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 09:40 PM

Yeah, no kidding......is he now fully detached from them? I think they still have I Want Revenge ties but dont know of any others...

GARY Z
02-15-2010, 05:32 AM
:eek: It would have been interesting had IAEH selected Chantel to ride

Niko
02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Couldnt agree more-like the 4 and 13....

Nice call!

I had the same 2 but talked myself off the 4 on the win side...I had thrown Stardom Bound out of the top 2 spots. Not the same horse right now.

toetoe
02-15-2010, 01:38 PM
The Big Brown Floater Stable folks have a plan for the big filly. They're gonna go to Portland Meadows ... then Suffolk Downs ... and Charlestown ... and Fort Erie ... and Barrington Fair ... Blue Ribbon Downs ... Zia Park ... Flagstaff, Barstow, San Bernardino ...............................................

.................................................. . IEAH !!!

big frank
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Stardom Bound is a good example of why you listen to the speed figs and not the hype... I have been betting against her for a while now and i cant see why she keeps getting bet ? Her numbers are not that good.. I loved listening to the pre talk about how she has been falling to far back, and now they were going to put her in to the race early ...... She is the male version of Fly So Free , or Tale of Ekati ,, all hype no figs !

Relwob Owner
02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Nice call!

I had the same 2 but talked myself off the 4 on the win side...I had thrown Stardom Bound out of the top 2 spots. Not the same horse right now.

i took a long look at the two as well.....seeing the 4's last race really helped and it made up for a long day otherwise....

big frank
02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Stardom Bound is a good example of why you listen to the speed figs and not the hype... I have been betting against her for a while now and i cant see why she keeps getting bet ? Her numbers are not that good.. I loved listening to the pre talk about how she has been falling to far back, and now they were going to put her in to the race early ...... She is the male version of Fly So Free , or Tale of Ekati ,, all hype no figs ! i meant to say female version,, sorry

letswastemoney
02-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice call!

I had the same 2 but talked myself off the 4 on the win side...I had thrown Stardom Bound out of the top 2 spots. Not the same horse right now.She's the exact same horse. She just never improved. Her speed figures are roughly the same as when she was 2, so I think she's the same.