PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood fans: Christmas 2010 is here early!

DJofSD
02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Two soon to be released offerings on DVD for Clint Eastwood's movies.

On Blu-ray, the Dirty Harry (http://www.wbshop.com/Dirty-Harry-Collection-BD/1000115693,default,pd.html?cgid=PRE) series of movies.

A retrospective: 35 Films 35 Years at Warner Bros. (http://www.wbshop.com/Clint-Eastwood-35-Films-35-Years-at-Warner-Bros/1000101356,default,pd.html?cgid=) but only on standard definition (SD) DVD.

PhantomOnTour
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Nothing better than 'Outlaw Josey Wales'

DJofSD
02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Nothing better than 'Outlaw Josey Wales'
I have been told most of what is presented in that movie is historically accurate. Maybe that's why the History Channel will show it on occasion.

mountainman
02-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Iconic figure. Classy and reserved. Don't respect him, however, for blackballing Sandra Locke. Her accusation that he did so carries the ring of truth to me.

OTM Al
02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I have been told most of what is presented in that movie is historically accurate. Maybe that's why the History Channel will show it on occasion.

It is pretty well done. It is adapted from Forest Carter's "Gone to Texas" fairly well, though Josey isn't a very good guy in the book if memory serves. The character was loosely based on Jesse James and Josey is running initially because he's been robbing banks, not from the treachery of the Union commander. The young fellow he's with at the begining gets his wound in the robbery. Plays out much like the movie after that. There is a sequel novel as well called "The Vengence Trail of Josey Wales" that Eastwood also tried to adapt but it never came off. Won't tell you what that's about as it is all new material from what you probably know. You can get them both in one volume from B&N or Amazon for less than $20. Pretty good read.

mountainman
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
It is pretty well done. It is adapted from Forest Carter's "Gone to Texas" fairly well, though Josey isn't a very good guy in the book if memory serves. The character was loosely based on Jesse James and Josey is running initially because he's been robbing banks, not from the treachery of the Union commander. The young fellow he's with at the begining gets his wound in the robbery. Plays out much like the movie after that. There is a sequel novel as well called "The Vengence Trail of Josey Wales" that Eastwood also tried to adapt but it never came off. Won't tell you what that's about as it is all new material from what you probably know. You can get them both in one volume from B&N or Amazon for less than $20. Pretty good read.

Both 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' and 'Jeremiah Johnson,' another popular 70's movie featuring a legendary actor(Robert Redford), seem dull and lifeless to me. I'm not sure if that reflects the subject matter or some failure on the part of the filmmakers. Both movies depict a rugged individualist's struggle against strong forces, and, on a deeper level, against the establishment.

delayjf
02-14-2010, 07:19 PM
This will probably cost me any respect I might have with this board, but my favorite Eastwood films were the "Monkey Movies", "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can". Favorite war movie - Where Eagles Dare.

skate
02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Oh oh oh , you want respect, you got it

Skate does not recognize any of the above movies. Of coarse, the skate is not the only pebble in the forest.

DJofSD
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, come now, skate, you don't remember "Right turn, Clyde!"?

PhantomOnTour
02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Surely you gotta remember the following line:

Bounty hunter to Josey Wales: "...well, a man's gotta make a livin somehow."
Josey Wales to bounty hunter: "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' now is it?"

CLASSIC

Pell Mell
02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
"The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" is my favorite. Eli Wallach should have gotten an oscar for that one. :ThmbUp:

The best of later years was "The Unforgiven" ;)

toetoe
02-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Favorite war movie - Where Eagles Dare.

I haven't checked it, but wasn't that The Eiger Sanction ? Maybe Squint was in both ... :confused:

skate
02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Oh, come now, skate, you don't remember "Right turn, Clyde!"?

Come on now, your pulling my leg. i do recall a 'Clyde' in a Clint movie, but i'm serious.

I just never spent much time on the movies and i don't sing or dance. Not sure what i did with my life, not sorry, just not sure.

Let me say, I did see this movie 2 or 3 nites back, Walter Mathau(?). I sat thru the whole movie and i did enjoy, the suttle comedy just kept coming. He was a Doctor and Art Carney was head of Hospital, didn't get the name.

Hey hey hey look at it this way, i've got a future of seeing these movies for the first time, you guys most likely saw them all before. I'm derious. As Art would say.

toetoe
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Walter Mathau(?)

WalMatt, whom neither of us could ever approach in handicapping loserliness, was in the worthy Charley Varrick. :ThmbUp: .

Pell Mell
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I haven't checked it, but wasn't that The Eiger Sanction ? Maybe Squint was in both ... :confused:

Was in both but wasn't the star of "Eagles", I think it was Richard Burton.

skate
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Glad you brought to mind.

I had a friend, hits a pic six, S.A or HP, goes (into the elivator) to collect and the other guy who hit also on the elivator was Jimmy Stewart.

delayjf
02-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Was in both but wasn't the star of "Eagles", I think it was Richard Burton.

He got top billing, but they had to pay Eastwood 800,000 to get him to agree to second billing.

Golf and Horses
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I actually did a senior English term paper on Eastwood movies in high school many years ago. Can't recall my grade. Favorite war pic: Kelly's Heroes...lots of stars in it...Sutherland,Rickles,Savalas,O'Connor among others. Where Eagles Dare is 1a! Very good flick!:ThmbUp:

rastajenk
02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
I kinda like Kelley's Heroes, until the end. That song that takes the movie out to credits ruins everything that has come before, and I can't forgive the whole thing just for that. A wee bit irrational, maybe, but there it is...not only that, I can't think of another example in all of filmdom that does anything similar to me: not liking the whole because of a small part. But that Californy hippie Mamas & Papas Meets the New Christy Minstrels thing is wa-a-a-a-a-y out of place. :D

toetoe
02-17-2010, 05:19 PM
That song that takes the movie out to credits ruins everything ... that Californy hippie Mamas & Papas Meets the New Christy Minstrels thing is wa-a-a-a-a-y out of place. :D

We can thank Mike Curb --- the great Mike Curb ( :rolleyes: ) --- for that compositon, "Burning Bridges."

Robert Goren
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Not Eastwood's best, but anything that has Kifer's dad can't be all bad.

delayjf
02-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Bit of Trivia about Kelly's Heros - it was based on a actual gold heist by German and American Officers.

toetoe
02-18-2010, 02:41 PM
The great John Piesen has released "Burning Britches --- Come on Down."

DJofSD
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
A note to the interested: I purchased the 35 year retrospective. A somewhat dissapointing aspect is the DVDs are double-sided, i.e. there is a movie on both sides. This means there is not a nice, large print labeling of the movie title on one side but only a little tiny title found along the inside edge of the DVD. Get that magnifying glass or reading glasses out!