PDA

View Full Version : computer problem

klynn52
07-01-2003, 12:10 AM
When i turn on computer, Windows ME operating system, i get a message "Error Loading Explore.exe, You must reinstall windows"
When I click on OK , another message reads " The Shell32.Dll file is linked to missing Export, Comct32.dll388. Then screen freezes.
I have tried to load Recovery disk ,no good, system floppy which used to get me a dos prompt , no longer works either. Help!

GameTheory
07-01-2003, 12:19 AM
If you made a boot disk previously, it should still work -- no matter what the state of your hard drive (you don't even need a hard drive to boot from a floppy). If it doesn't work, if you know someone with ME then have them make a boot disk for you (Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Startup Disk). If you can get it booted with such a disk and enable CD-ROM support, then you should be able to run setup from the original Windows CD. Then you can re-install Windows.

If you re-install successfully, some of your setttings will be reset, but your old software should still be intact unless it was corrupted along with whatever broke the system in the first place...

JustRalph
07-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Can you get into Safe mode? First try that..... tap the F8 key on boot up and follow the prompts to enter safe mode.

Then go to "start" programs, accessories, system tools?, and run "system restore" go back to previous dates until you are back up and running. You may lose any data that was added to the machine since the date you go back to , this includes user profiles etc. and mail.... depending on your mail client. Give it a whirl.
What was the last thing you did on this computer? I suspect you installed a new program....... let us know if you can get into safe mode.
:cool:

Dave Schwartz
07-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Ralph,

Your advice, as always, is great... but you left out the part about GET A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM!

ME is just horrible, don't you think?

Dave

Tom
07-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Ralph,

Your advice, as always, is great... but you left out the part about GET A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM!

Dave

YOU is a nice guy, not horrible at all!:rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
07-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Tom,

LOL

Sincerely,
Dave

JustRalph
07-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Ralph,
Dave

Absolutely. The worse product ever released from MSFT. They used it as a Test bed and released it on the world to test. I firmly believe that is what they did.

gino
07-02-2003, 12:31 AM
then on the other hand u have a perfectly good product like velveeta, but now the fat lawyers are gonna sue Kraft, so they're gonna make Velveeta 2003 which will have something in it that will kill us faster ...true survivalists r laying in cases of Cheetos....

kenwoodall
07-02-2003, 07:34 AM
I use Gateway Me and if it had a problem I could not fix right away I would just call Bill Gate's boys.