PDA

View Full Version : compressed folder

chrisl
02-13-2010, 09:13 PM
I just compressed my track file folder, that had 300+ cards and result files that were unzipped. I needed to compress them, to add them to a new software program. I went to the file, and did the, select all, then send to a compressed folder. It started compressing them, and it took about 6 hours to do this. Now I can not find the compressed folder, where they are stored, to load them into the new software. I need these files to be zipped, to add them to the new software. I hope I did this right. Is compressing the file's, bringing them back to zip nature? I am running Vista 32 bit. Any help. Thank you Chris

Dave Schwartz
02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Do this...

Search your drive for one of the files within the folder and you will find the folder.

headhawg
02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
What compression program did you use? The one built into Vista? If you created a compressed folder in Vista and then put your files in there then they will be compressed yes, but they will not be individual zip files no. I know that in XP compressed folders had the folder name in blue text to differentiate them from normal folders. Perhaps it's the same in Vista.

wilderness
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
How about using Windows Explorer or My Computer and searching for files that were modified after a specific date?

Allowing software's to select the directory in which they save files is a bad practice. Even if they are all dumped into "My Documents".

Each user should have a structured directory method for their data, however most users rarely progress to this type of organization.

raybo
02-15-2010, 07:19 AM
How about using Windows Explorer or My Computer and searching for files that were modified after a specific date?

Allowing software's to select the directory in which they save files is a bad practice. Even if they are all dumped into "My Documents".

Each user should have a structured directory method for their data, however most users rarely progress to this type of organization.

My default is "Desktop" then I move them where I want.

If you compress a folder you're compressing the total size of the folder. If you want each file inside zipped you must zip ieach one individually.

wilderness
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
It seems to me (and I hope for your benefit that I'm wrong) that your using the Windows (regardless of version) file compression method, rather than an actaul software such as WinZip?

I believe that Win 98 was the first version that offered file compression and there were terrible, terrible reports of data loss and reliability. I've never used it, as I consider my data too valuable to reply on such methods.
I can't imagine that the likelihood of loss and reliability has lessened as the MS OS's have progressed through to Windows 7.

I'd suggest you find a more reliable method.

Larger internal and external drives have dropped their prices dramatically. I saw a 300gig hard drive for less than $75. and the price difference to increase storage to a Tera byte wasn't unreasonable.

gillenr
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I do the same, but I must select "Desktop" every time. How can I make it the permanent default?
Thanks.

raybo
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I do the same, but I must select "Desktop" every time. How can I make it the permanent default?
Thanks.I use Mozilla as my browser, but, I assume the other browsers have something similar. In Mozilla, select "Tools", "Options", "Main", then in the middle of that window select "Save files to" then browse to your desktop, then click "Ok".

raybo
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
It seems to me (and I hope for your benefit that I'm wrong) that your using the Windows (regardless of version) file compression method, rather than an actaul software such as WinZip?

I believe that Win 98 was the first version that offered file compression and there were terrible, terrible reports of data loss and reliability. I've never used it, as I consider my data too valuable to reply on such methods.
I can't imagine that the likelihood of loss and reliability has lessened as the MS OS's have progressed through to Windows 7.

I'd suggest you find a more reliable method.

Larger internal and external drives have dropped their prices dramatically. I saw a 300gig hard drive for less than $75. and the price difference to increase storage to a Tera byte wasn't unreasonable.

I'm running Vista Home Premium and the standard windows compression app. I've been using windows compression apps for years and have never lost a byte, that I'm aware of, anyway.

I unzip all my data files into my Infotran folder and every couple of weeks I save that folder to a thumb drive. I delete the zip files after the move.