PDA

View Full Version : Canada

chickenhead
02-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure Canada out, you guys are like someone living in our attic that seems really nice but thats all we know. That dudes speech last night from on top of the ice tower didn't help all that much -- but that he had to give a what is Canada speech must mean I'm not alone.

Dean T -- you need to take over marketing for Canada.

ArlJim78
02-13-2010, 03:38 PM
is that the one they called "slam poetry"? this is the guy Canada put out there to explain to the world what Canadians are all about? i think he set the cause back a bit.

GameTheory
02-13-2010, 03:56 PM
What's to figure out? I find people that live in your neck of the woods much more inscrutable that the average Canadian. Of course, I've only been to Ontario (I grew up in Detroit) and not the more "exotic" places like Quebec.

DeanT
02-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't look at me. I am still trying to figure out how we can engineer the Canadarm for the space shuttle, but we can't get a hydraulic pillar for the Olympic flame to work.

chickenhead
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't think the lumberjack was talking about individual people, he was talking about National Identity. Canadian people seem like any other kind of people, I think thats probably why a national identity is so hard to carve out, especially since they are so much like their noisy neighbor, just much more low key. It's like they are Muhammad Ali's brother, Willy Ali.

Individual people are easy, especially here. if you let them, they'll ramble on endlessly what they're all about.

DeanT
02-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I did watch the NBC coverage last night for some perspective (plus I like Costas better than our guys)...... everyone said how different it is. Complete bull, imo.

I like horse racing, the NFL, NBA, PGA and NHL. I like barbqueing, the cottage, having a beer and wings, golfing. I like trying to make as much cash now growing a business, so I can retire and do more of the things above. If I had kids I would probably want them in little league, minor hockey, a good school and to grow up to own their own business and do whatever it is they like to do.

If that is much different than most (men I guess) on the board from the US, and other people from Canuckland, I would be surprised. I couldnt care less if I have an identity.

GameTheory
02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I was reading this morning that Canada is selling asbestos to developing nations. That's right, they're still making asbestos in factories in Quebec. There is some guy whose whole job is to lobby these places that "it isn't as toxic as you've heard" and try to keep it out of the media. Of course, that's a little tough when one of the places where they make the stuff is actually a town in Quebec called Asbestos. Apparently it is political suicide to stand-up to the Quebecians (Quebeckers? Quebecii? Quebecois?), so no one puts a stop to it...

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT, CANADA???

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Cops on horses, Molson factory, and Don Cherry. Not such a bad identity, eh?

chickenhead
02-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I couldnt care less if I have an identity.

"Just like Americans, only nicer!"

DeanT
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
I dislike that stereotype too. I find Americans are very friendly.

Maybe it is small town versus big town all over NA. I walk to the pub down the street here and everyone has their head down. I do that in the town near where my cottage is (town of 3000), I get asked "hey how you doin?" about six times.

chickenhead
02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
yeah, we are friendly. How about

"Canada: Like if Europe and America had a baby"

Grits
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I dislike that stereotype too. I find Americans are very friendly.

Maybe it is small town versus big town all over NA. I walk to the pub down the street here and everyone has their head down. I do that in the town near where my cottage is (town of 3000), I get asked "hey how you doin?" about six times.

Dean, y'all speak southern way up there in North Woods, too?:lol:

This sounds just like us except the you would be ya.

DeanT
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I'll go with Canada: Like America except most of us don't have a flag in our front yard"

:)

Or (because I lost my last five bets): "Canada, where horseplayers help other horseplayers in the pari mutuel pools"

BTW, Joe Biden is now on Canadian TV at the Olympics. I wish we were annexed so he was our VP. He says some of the funniest chit I have ever heard.

After going 0 for my last 5 I am going to have to shut down and watch Joe, just in case he says something crazy. Catch ya.

Grits: I think we spoke about it before. I like your neck of the woods. Excellent hospitality down there!

Valuist
02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Dean T -- you need to take over marketing for Canada.

I thought he was already handling that for Croatia (other thread reference).

Greyfox
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics opening last night. Well done Canada. :ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
they should have let this guy give the "what it means to be a Canadian" speech (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/02/11/nb-abel-leblanc-finger.html).
you can always count on the politicians, of any nation.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2010/02/11/tp-nb-leblanc-finger.jpg

boxcar
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
He still has more class in that finger than BO has in his entire body.

Boxcar

Tom
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I

That is pretty disturbing. How can a so-called civilized country be doing that?
With murderous action like this going on, how do people justify this GW nonsense and save the frigging whales BS and worrying about dolphins getting caught in tuna nets (what the hell about the poor TUNA).

Stuff like this is NEWS, and should be getting lots coverage.

No honor in Quebec.....

BlueShoe
02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
BTW, Joe Biden is now on Canadian TV at the Olympics. I wish we were annexed so he was our VP. He says some of the funniest chit I have ever heard.
The problem is, often when Joe says something funny, he was really trying to be serious. The best thing about Joe is that he is far more qualified to occupy the top spot than the dolt that now has it, but that is not saying much. If Canada really would like him, perhaps we can work out some kind of a diplomatic exchange of some sort.

HuggingTheRail
02-14-2010, 01:58 AM
The problem is, often when Joe says something funny, he was really trying to be serious. The best thing about Joe is that he is far more qualified to occupy the top spot than the dolt that now has it, but that is not saying much. If Canada really would like him, perhaps we can work out some kind of a diplomatic exchange of some sort.

Well, I guess we owe you one...we sent you Celine :D

HuggingTheRail
02-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I was reading this morning that Canada is selling asbestos to developing nations. That's right, they're still making asbestos in factories in Quebec. There is some guy whose whole job is to lobby these places that "it isn't as toxic as you've heard" and try to keep it out of the media. Of course, that's a little tough when one of the places where they make the stuff is actually a town in Quebec called Asbestos. Apparently it is political suicide to stand-up to the Quebecians (Quebeckers? Quebecii? Quebecois?), so no one puts a stop to it...

Um, we heard Santa Anita might be interested?

46zilzal
02-14-2010, 02:45 AM
This country is about as regional as can be with the East coast as different from Quebec as much as the deep southern states are from the pacific northwest.

Trying to lump an entire country under a single category just shows how ignorant the average person is about a country which is their neighbor.

chickenhead
02-14-2010, 03:12 AM
Trying to lump an entire country under a single category just shows how ignorant the average person is about a country which is their neighbor.

It was the Canadians choosing to have a Canadian give a speech at the opening ceremonies doing just that that caused this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

That aside, regional differences exist everywhere, in every country. It doesn't mean national identities don't exist, Italy is different from France, different from Ecuador. And each one has regionality within it.

bigmack
02-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Sounds as idiotic as someone making judgments about Orange County today & the involvement of The John Birch Society from over 30 years ago.

Thought like that needs heavy medication.

boomman
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics opening last night. Well done Canada. :ThmbUp:

AGREED!!!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: And British Columbia is without a doubt one of the most beautiful locations ever to host an Olympics!

Boomer

Tom
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
This country is about as regional as can be with the East coast as different from Quebec as much as the deep southern states are from the pacific northwest.

This coming from the Great Lumper himself!:lol:

I'm gonna call you Lumpy from now on.

lilmegahertz
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
AGREED!!!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: And British Columbia is without a doubt one of the most beautiful locations ever to host an Olympics!

Boomer

My husband's family are born and bred B.C. and the majority of my family are also. We are proud that we are hosting the Olympics this year. Victoria, BC is probably one of the most beautiful ever IMO. The opening ceremony was really good.....loved the fact the First Nations had their day, loved the special effects [the whales going across the ice was totally cool], the story the boy told about the prarie, it was all pretty good stuff. As usual some folks have to pick apart the day by choosing the one or two things to focus on instead of just enjoying the moment and let another country feel pride in themselves as a whole.

As for the protestors......I bet most of them have no idea what they are protesting. They are the group of idiots that join in a cause just so they have an excuse to smash things up and try to ruin the good spirits of normal people. Try to ignore them and just enjoy the fact that you are the Olympics and watching history being made.....