PDA

View Full Version : Man up, Obama,

JustRalph
02-12-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a4hIeftRVyvE

Man Up, Obama, or Make Way for President Palin: David Reilly

http://cdn.images.bloomberg.com/r06/news/reilly.jpg

Commentary by David Reilly

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama is starting to look like the second coming of Jimmy Carter. If he’s going to avoid that fate, the president had better take radical action -- and fast.

That means doing more than offering belated talk about jobs, or waging ineffectual on-again, off-again bank warfare. What, after all, is the point of bashing Wall Street only to then blow bonus kisses to JPMorgan Chase & Co. chief Jamie Dimon and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. head Lloyd Blankfein?

Obama needs to ditch his professorial, community-organizer mien and start cracking some heads. Unless, that is, he is intent on paving the way for a Palin presidency in 2013.

Supporters are crying out for Obama to pull out of his tailspin. In an article in Politico, Douglas Wilder, the nation’s first African-American governor and an early Obama supporter, urged the president to get his act together.

“The need is becoming more obvious by the day,” Wilder wrote. “Getting elected and getting things done for the people are two different jobs.”

Obama’s lack of resolve even makes comparisons to Carter seem charitable. Financial blogger Eric Salzman argued that we haven’t seen such a lack of leadership “in the White House since our 15th president, James Buchanan, stood by and let the country dissolve into Civil War while trying to appease everyone.”

much more at the link

jballscalls
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
agree with the article, but do people think Sarah Palin could win?? I know she is beloved by the right, but the left hate her guts, so even though they are disappointed in Obama, they would still vote for him to avoid her. and i haven't talked to one independant who likes her (me included)

If the republicans could just put forth a solid candidate with some mass appeal and good ideas, they get my vote in 2012 and probably beat Obama.

boxcar
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
agree with the article, but do people think Sarah Palin could win?? I know she is beloved by the right, but the left hate her guts, so even though they are disappointed in Obama, they would still vote for him to avoid her. and i haven't talked to one independant who likes her (me included)

If the republicans could just put forth a solid candidate with some mass appeal and good ideas, they get my vote in 2012 and probably beat Obama.

This, too, is what the Left does best: HATE! They hated Bush and now they hate Palin. Hating and Lying are the hallmarks of the Left.

Boxcar

Robert Goren
02-12-2010, 11:54 AM

If the republicans could just put forth a solid candidate with some mass appeal and good ideas, they get my vote in 2012 and probably beat Obama.I have.

ElKabong
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
jmho....I think the dems would love Palin to run. They probably think she won't win the repub nomination, then run as a 3rd candidate w/ prodding from here base. That's 0bama's one and only hope right now- a 3rd party candidate to siphon votes from the repub candidate.

Look at 0bama's dopey press secty this week- He actually mocked Palin in front of the press by writing crap on his hand. Has anyone seen an administration do this to any American before? Besides being distasteful, it's embarrassing and unbecoming what the WH has stood for for centuries.

My guess is, they're thinking if they prod her long enough she'll run out of spite & give 0bie his one and only shot....Pretty sad when a preznit has his staff do this stuff just to hang on to a sliver of hope for reelection.

For most Independants, we see this....It just makes 0bama more of an empty suit than we saw before. He has tougher issues to tackle for America than picking fights with Palin (now that picking on Cheney didn't work).

GameTheory
02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
This, too, is what the Left does best: HATE! They hated Bush and now they hate Palin. Hating and Lying are the hallmarks of the Left.
I think they hate Palin even more, but that's not the problem. People hated Bush, but not everyone believed he was as dumb as the left would have you believe. I think even a good percentage of the people that like Palin question her overall competence/fitness/preparedness to lead. I mean, I like her, but I'm still a bit afraid of her being in the top spot. I doubt she can win, even though Obama is so lame. She would really have to show something that she hasn't yet. Plus when she is attacked, she complains about it too much -- plays the martyr. Not a good sign cause she ain't seen nothing yet if she is the candidate.

boxcar
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Plus when she is attacked, she complains about it too much -- plays the martyr. Not a good sign cause she ain't seen nothing yet if she is the candidate.

You mean the way BO whines about Fox News, Rush, Beck, Hannity, etc. because they expose him for the liar, fake, fraud, hypocrite and incompetent that he is?

Boxcar

Robert Goren
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
They all whine about the press. Don't ever get a conservative started about the New York Times.;)

GaryG
02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think she will be the candidate, more of a point man (woman) to keep stirring the pot. There is so much hate for her on the left that it is laughable. They fear her, no doubt about that. Like at the bullfights where there is someone who sticks the bull with those pointy things. Obie will be full of them.

boxcar
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
They all whine about the press. Don't ever get a conservative started about the New York Times.;)

We're not talking about conservatives or liberals per se: We're talking specifically about politicians. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

dartman51
02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I like Palin, BUT, I don't want her as President. If she was to get the party's nomination, I would be forced to vote for her to just like I was forced to vote for Bush twice. I'm tired of having to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. I voted for John McCain, but didn't really want him either. He's a PROGRESSIVE like Obama, maybe not quite as bad. I want to see a candidate that I can believe in(wishful thinking), I don't care if he has a R,D,I,P or any other letter after his name.

Robert Goren
02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
We're not talking about conservatives or liberals per se: We're talking specifically about politicians. :rolleyes:

Boxcar Like I said all politicians whine about some part of the press. Different kinds of politicians whine about different parts of the press. Liberal potiticians whine about Fox News. Conservative politicans whine about the New York Times. There is enough whine and enough press to go arround for them all. Nothing new here, it has been going for as long as there has been a press.

GameTheory
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
No, she doesn't whine so much as actually plays the victim -- she acts as if she is really being hurt (sometimes she has a point with some of the outrageous attacks on her family). She wallows in it to get sympathy. It is a poisonous and dangerous tendency. People with that trait unconsciously put themselves in a position to fail because they feed off of victim status and sympathy, always blaming someone for the position they are in. She has done it 100 times already with her conflicts with everyone from the media to David Letterman to McCain's campaign people, etc. I feel that Palin is a poison pill.

lsbets
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Palin has zero chance of getting the nomination, and she shouldn't. She is doing what she is best at now - being a thorn in the administrations side, but that is all she should do. If she were to run as an independent, it would guarantee Obama's reelection. I don't think she would though. She is not tough enough to handle being the top candidate in a national campaign, and she knows it.

boxcar
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Like I said all politicians whine about some part of the press. Different kinds of politicians whine about different parts of the press. Liberal potiticians whine about Fox News. Conservative politicans whine about the New York Times. There is enough whine and enough press to go arround for them all. Nothing new here, it has been going for as long as there has been a press.

I can't recall Bush whining about the NYT or Wash Post -- certainly not on the magnitude of BO.

And just which party are the biggest whiners? Would it not be the DEMS who would dearly love to pass into the law the Fairness Doctrine? The Party of Deceivers can't stand it when conservative talk show hosts shine the light of truth on them!

Boxcar

ArlJim78
02-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I think Palin is more a subject for the left than the right. The left can't get enough of her, she draws all their fire. The right seems divided on her, sure she has her fans but I think most are looking for something else. She's a fighter and a good draw, I'm glad she's on our side. If she does run for the nomination which is not a given, my hunch is that she won't get that far in the process. But even doing that could be very valuable for republicans because she will motivate and energize a good number of people.

whether people like him or not, unless some unknown with charisma steps forward, I think the next one will go to Romney.

johnhannibalsmith
02-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm constantly bitching about how the recent "leaders" and "representatives" have been neither - just poll readers. I usually chastise politicians for failing to represent.

I'm almost ready for someone that I don't really like, does not share many of my policy concerns, but has leadership qualities, takes a stand, and represents himself accurately through his actions. I'm sick of these hollow bodies that do nothing but talk, retreat, talk, sidestep, talk, talk, react...

Am I insane for thinking that of all the names that have been bantered about on both sides - I'm actually inclined to lean towards Newt Gingrich - someone that actually does not really represent me at all, but at least seems the least disengenuous and most knowledgable?

I know that really will draw the ire of the left... but given Romney, Obama, Palin, Hillary, who am I forgetting?... Newt seems the most Presidential... perhaps dangerously so, but... :confused:

boxcar
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm constantly bitching about how the recent "leaders" and "representatives" have been neither - just poll readers. I usually chastise politicians for failing to represent.

I'm almost ready for someone that I don't really like, does not share many of my policy concerns, but has leadership qualities, takes a stand, and represents himself accurately through his actions. I'm sick of these hollow bodies that do nothing but talk, retreat, talk, sidestep, talk, talk, react...

Am I insane for thinking that of all the names that have been bantered about on both sides - I'm actually inclined to lean towards Newt Gingrich - someone that actually does not really represent me at all, but at least seems the least disengenuous and most knowledgable?

I know that really will draw the ire of the left... but given Romney, Obama, Palin, Hillary, who am I forgetting?... Newt seems the most Presidential... perhaps dangerously so, but... :confused:

I would trust this snake less than BO. This guy redefines "duplicity". He's just another run-of-the-mill political hack.

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Believe it or not Boxcar - coming from you, that changes my perspective quite a bit... I've never liked his agenda per se, but he seemed genuine - if you say he defines duplicity, than I take it all back...

boxcar
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Believe it or not Boxcar - coming from you, that changes my perspective quite a bit... I've never liked his agenda per se, but he seemed genuine - if you say he defines duplicity, than I take it all back...

It doesn't take much to figure these guys out. Just learn to actually listen to them when they speak. A discerning ear can pick up a great deal.

Boxcar
P.S. Also learn to listen for what is not said. Deceitfulness comes in two forms: by commission and omission. ;)

Pell Mell
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
It doesn't take much to figure these guys out. Just learn to actually listen to them when they speak. A discerning ear can pick up a great deal.

Boxcar
P.S. Also learn to listen for what is not said. Deceitfulness comes in two forms: by commission and omission. ;)

If you were referring to Newt, here's my 2 cents: I don't like some of his ideas but others I do AND he spells them out. He doesn't say I'll do this or that with no explanation as to how, he tells how. Also, when it comes to smarts, I think he forgot more than anybody I've seen run in a long time. As to presidential debates, he would bury them with, as Rush says, half his brain tied behind his back.
I'm an independent and this is JMO.

BenDiesel26
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Paul Ryan. He has the TARP stain on his record, but other than that he has actual ideas. He's not afraid to try and fix medicare and social security, the two "landmark" progressive social programs that are sucking this country dry by the day at an alarming rate ($107 trillion in unfunded liabilities right now, SS bankrupt about to go in the red possibly this year, medicare in 10 years). Plus, he would walk circles around Obama in a debate. He is sharp. He doesn't need a teleprompter. He makes mincemeat of the MSNBC cheerleaders time and time again.

boxcar
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
If you were referring to Newt, here's my 2 cents: I don't like some of his ideas but others I do AND he spells them out. He doesn't say I'll do this or that with no explanation as to how, he tells how. Also, when it comes to smarts, I think he forgot more than anybody I've seen run in a long time. As to presidential debates, he would bury them with, as Rush says, half his brain tied behind his back.
I'm an independent and this is JMO.

I agree with you about his smarts. He's no dummy, for he can articulate his ideas, which is a heck of a lot more than throwing mindless platitudes out there, which seems to be the level of most politicians, today. But my perception of him is that he's duplicitous and, therefore, untrustworthy. And there's nothing more dangerous or sinister out there than a smart deceiver.
BO is irrefutably a deceiver, but smart he ain't. (Of course, in a sense this makes him very dangerous, too -- having a naive, inexperienced nincompoop at the helm. It would be a lot easier for such a captain run the ship aground.)

Boxcar

skate
02-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I reckon that those that like her (skate included) do so because they can understand what she is saying.

They somehow can see, through this understanding of her, that she has Wisdom.

The policy should come from the Bottom and when the policy reaches her (whomever) then she uses some wisdom.

I doubt that it's necessary for her or anyone to know 'all', but if she appoints good advisory, she is in good hands, no matter.

BtheO didn't know anything about the military, i.e. no experience (as UncleGeorge did), but he took his time and listened to his Officers.

Now he's doing very good in Afgan town, at least.