PDA

View Full Version : Is Rachel vs Zenyatta the most exciting race of my lifetime? (born 1974)

Zippy Chippy
02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
What can you compare this to? The excitement. The build up. The comparisons? Whos better Zenyatta or Rachel? There have been rivalries over the past 35 years, Affirmed/Alydar etc but Rachel and Zenyatta will probably only meet once and you could ask to experts and once would say Zenyatta is the better horse, and the other would say Rachel. This just seems like a once in a lifetime race. 2 superfillys..

Oaklawn
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Born in 1973! I've been going to Oaklawn since I was a lad, and this is the biggest news for Hot Springs and this state in the sports world that I can remember. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to stay healthy.

Zippy Chippy
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
ill be there.. what is there to do in arkansas?

miesque
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

My lack of sleep this week must have made me punchy because for some reason I found this pretty funny :D I have a feeling I really do not want to know. I would assume there would be plenty of good sourthern food to indulge in, if that is something you like. I am probably one of only a handful of people in the U.S. that really does not like Southern/Country style food, so thats not something I look forward to.

ZephyrHawk
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Born in 1979. Can't even make a claim to having seen the Affirmed/Alydar rivalry. This will definitely be the most anticipated match-up in my lifetime.

Zippy Chippy
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
My lack of sleep this week must have made me punchy because for some reason I found this pretty funny :D I have a feeling I really do not want to know. I would assume there would be plenty of good sourthern food to indulge in, if that is something you like. I am probably one of only a handful of people in the U.S. that really does not like Southern/Country style food, so thats not something I look forward to.

My girlfriend called me this morning and said, "Ive always wanted to go to arkansas cause there is a place where you can mine your own diamonds and keep what you find"

Is this true?

chickenhead
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I saw a mine like that on TV, it was somewhere down there.

Rachel-Zenyatta down in Arkansas, a little like Ali Foreman Rumble in the Jungle? Young, ferocious champ vs aging superstar, older challenger given little chance? (Relative) Backwater putting up a huge sum to host it?

Look out for the rope-a-dope! Will Zenyatta shock the world? Will Rachel come out with a line of indoor grilling products? Oh, the possibilities.

46zilzal
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I saw a mine like that on TV, it was somewhere down there.

Rachel-Zenyatta down in Arkansas, a little like Ali Foreman Rumble in the Jungle? Young, ferocious champ vs aging superstar, older challenger given little chance? (Relative) Backwater putting up a huge sum to host it?

Look out for the rope-a-dope! Will Zenyatta shock the world? Will Rachel come out with a line of indoor grilling products? Oh, the possibilities.
9 furlongs favors the speed on a speed favoring track

TJDave
02-12-2010, 11:28 AM
My girlfriend called me this morning and said, "Ive always wanted to go to arkansas cause there is a place where you can mine your own diamonds and keep what you find"

Is this true?

It's near Hot Springs.

And don't forget the 'Baths'. I'd go to the Arlington...A real treat.

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2010, 11:39 AM
After the race you will be able to determine if it was the most exciting race of your lifetime. It is certainly the most hyped race of my lifetime though. It might be a blowout.

46zilzal
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
After the race you will be able to determine if it was the most exciting race of your lifetime. It is certainly the most hyped race of my lifetime though. It might be a blowout.
The ill fated Ruffian/Foolish Pleasure debacle was akin to this as a few match races at Hollywood and the inaugural Breeder's Cup

Actually NOTHING in my lifetime can compare to June 9 or was it the 10th?, 1973

bushwick
02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
is where the diamond mine is and yes you do get to keep them. And if you are lucky enough you may catch a glimpse of this goose they have there, it lays golden eggs and if you find one of them you can keep it too. Seriously, the mine has been mined out. Doubt you find anything but you never know. Goos Luck!

Bettowin
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
is where the diamond mine is and yes you do get to keep them. And if you are lucky enough you may catch a glimpse of this goose they have there, it lays golden eggs and if you find one of them you can keep it too. Seriously, the mine has been mined out. Doubt you find anything but you never know. Goos Luck!

Or you could bring a nice little cubic zirconia and "help" your girlfriend dig it up. I am sure she would be delighted:)

Sundown
02-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Looks like they've got some decent ones lately.

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/digging-for-diamonds/recent.aspx

I'm hoping to attend and enjoy, come what may.

BIG HIT
02-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Ruffian\Foolish Plesure
Alydar\Affirm
Easy Goer\Sunday Silence bitting each down str belmont Stakes
But for me top of list was secerteriat 30+lengh win in belmont stakes as 3.5 favorite and defintely ran to his odds omg seems like yesterday.
If the girl's can run to the hype like yhose before them to put it mildly we are in for real treat

Robert Goren
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Ruffian\Foolish Plesure
Alydar\Affirm
Easy Goer\Sunday Silence bitting each down str belmont Stakes
But for me top of list was secerteriat 30+lengh win in belmont stakes as 3.5 favorite and defintely ran to his odds omg seems like yesterday.
If the girl's can run to the hype like yhose before them to put it mildly we are in for real treatEasy goer/Sunday Silence Breeder Cup was better.

NUmxQg0wHOk

46zilzal
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
The PREAKNESS was their defining moment

raybo
02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Secretariat's Belmont race was the most exciting for me, born in 49 but not into racing until the 70's.

joanied
02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Or you could bring a nice little cubic zirconia and "help" your girlfriend dig it up. I am sure she would be delighted:)

Zippy Chippy...bettowin's idea is excellent...if that's the one reason she'll want to go to OP, go for it...

it's an suggestion full of thoughtfullness and kind of romantic...better yet, buy a very small real diamond...wouldn't cost much and then if you two decide to one day get hitched...it could be part of her wedding ring.
Sweet:)

BillW
02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Topless karaoke is a big attraction in Hot Springs :jump:

joanied
02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Robert Goren... you said that the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer Classic WAS better...
the Apple Blossom hasn't been run yet...and after it is, you may change your mind:) ;)

Ejmenz
02-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I think the greatest race of your lifetime was the only race in history between two triple crown winners, Seattle Slew defeated Affirmed, it happened twice, and in all likelihood will never take place again.

But I do think it is the 2nd best race of your lifetime, and definitely a great moment in racing.

Stillriledup
02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
It is.

Kimsus
02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
This race is being hyped to the heights of K2 that anything short of Zenyatta or Rachel winning, it might be considered a colossel flop if neither win, however unlikely this may be.

Kimsus
02-13-2010, 09:55 AM
BTW K2 is the second tallest mountain in the world to Everest and is generally regarded as the most dangerous mountain to climb in the world. Roughly 10 times more dangerous.

Professor Kimsus out.

FenceBored
02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
This race is being hyped to the heights of K2 that anything short of Zenyatta or Rachel winning, it might be considered a colossel flop if neither win, however unlikely this may be.

I can see it exceeding its hype with a third horse winning, depending upon how the race plays out. If it's a three horse fight down to the wire, and the third horse comes out on top, it will catapult that girl to the top of the heap for the time being and cement the Apple Blossom as therace to beat for best of the year. Now, if Rachel dumps Borel on the turn, and Zenyatta gets blocked from making a run, well, that wouldn't be impressive.

keithw84
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM

If this happens, let's hope it's akin to the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup - where Seattle Slew put in an exceptional performance but didn't beat Exceller.

Johnny V
02-13-2010, 11:16 AM
In your lifetime (since '74) I would say by the time these two meet it will be the most looked forward to event in racing circles. I just don't know how much press coverage there will be in the general sporting press. Ruffian/Foolish Pleasure and Affirmed/ Alydar were also big events and they had plenty of general sports overage outside of just the racing press. We will see if the same is true of this. I'm hopeful but doubt it.

depalma113
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
What can you compare this to? The excitement. The build up. The comparisons? Whos better Zenyatta or Rachel? There have been rivalries over the past 35 years, Affirmed/Alydar etc but Rachel and Zenyatta will probably only meet once and you could ask to experts and once would say Zenyatta is the better horse, and the other would say Rachel. This just seems like a once in a lifetime race. 2 superfillys..

When it comes to build up:

The 2004 Belmont Stakes

The 1996 Pacific Classic

BIG HIT
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Rob that was geat personally liked sunday silence as better horse easy go'er done his best mostly in new york my opion yhank's agian

wisconsin
02-13-2010, 04:06 PM
If this happens, let's hope it's akin to the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup - where Seattle Slew put in an exceptional performance but didn't beat Exceller.

Oh, Man! That was a tremendous race. Slew and Affirmed ding-donging for a mile in very quick fractions, Exceller making up 20 lenghts from the 5/8 to the 1/4 pole, hanging, and Slew almost coming back. I get chills everytime I watch that one.

I hope this one lives up to expectations. Don't care who wins, but looking for a 1-2 finish, and hope it's no blowout by either. Dramatic is the words I would use to what I am hoping to see.

Zippy Chippy
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
My gf just LOL at this

Cratos
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Please, stop the nonsense. I will take any one of the following over the hyped Zenyatta-Rachel “might not ever happen” race:

Any of the Damascus-Dr. Fager races
Any of the Sunday Silence-Easy Goer races
Any of the Forego-Wajima races
Any of the Seattle Slew-Affirmed races
Any of the Affirmed-Alydar races
Forego-Honest Pleasure race
Candy Ride Pacific Classic
Any of Big Red’s TC races
Dr. Fager’s Vosburgh

Relwob Owner
02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
BTW K2 is the second tallest mountain in the world to Everest and is generally regarded as the most dangerous mountain to climb in the world. Roughly 10 times more dangerous.

Professor Kimsus out.

The first time you referred to yourself in the thirs person, I was really annoyed.....gotta tell ya-it is growing on me...adding the "professor" makes it even better....

As far as the thread goes, my favorite(born 1973) have been any of the Easy Goer/Sunday Silence races with any of the Ferdinand/Alyshebas races close behind....I must say that anticipation and off track drama wise, RA/Zenyatta is damn good

ZephyrHawk
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Please, stop the nonsense. I will take any one of the following over the hyped Zenyatta-Rachel “might not ever happen” race:

Any of the Damascus-Dr. Fager races
Any of the Sunday Silence-Easy Goer races
Any of the Forego-Wajima races
Any of the Seattle Slew-Affirmed races
Any of the Affirmed-Alydar races
Forego-Honest Pleasure race
Candy Ride Pacific Classic
Any of Big Red’s TC races
Dr. Fager’s Vosburgh

Then clearly, you have a longer lifetime of experiences then the young horseplayers everyone apparently wants to attaract to the sport. I saw Easy Goer vs. Sunday Silence in the Belmont at the ripe old age of 9 and still remember it. It was the first major race I ever saw and it lead me to a life long love of the sport. I'd still put the 2007 Blemont in front of it for excitement. Regardless, the point is, there's darn good reason for some of us to be excited about seeing R and Z together.

FenceBored
02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Then clearly, you have a longer lifetime of experiences then the young horseplayers everyone apparently wants to attaract to the sport. I saw Easy Goer vs. Sunday Silence in the Belmont at the ripe old age of 9 and still remember it. It was the first major race I ever saw and it lead me to a life long love of the sport. I'd still put the 2007 Blemont in front of it for excitement. Regardless, the point is, there's darn good reason for some of us to be excited about seeing R and Z together.

All you young whippersnappers. I still remember the excitement for the Ten Broeck - Mollie McCarty match race. None of this dash nonsense like you kids like today, real heats the way this kind of race is meant to be. I took a good bit of money from the guys just off the train from California who thought the mare was a sure thing. Well, at least some things never change. Heh, heh, heh.

Cratos
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM

I am not attempting to be the “sage” on this forum, but there is not much in either of Zenyatta or Rachel’s past performances that will lead me to believe that this with be a historic match. This includes Rachel’s powerful Mother Goose victory and Zenyatta’s strong run to capture the BC Classic.

What is concerning to me is that this race will be either the first or second race for either horse in 2010; and while both might be in racing shape, neither might not be up to their “racing toughness” to give a premier account of their skills.

The one horse that most concerns me is Rachel Alexandra because history has shown that good 3yos don’t necessary be good 4yos particularly early in their 4yo seasons; both Seattle Slew and Affirmed loss their stake race debuts as 4yos.

Saratoga_Mike
02-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I am not attempting to be the “sage” on this forum, but there is not much in either of Zenyatta or Rachel’s past performances that will lead me to believe that this with be a historic match. This includes Rachel’s powerful Mother Goose victory and Zenyatta’s strong run to capture the BC Classic.

What is concerning to me is that this race will be either the first or second race for either horse in 2010; and while both might be in racing shape, neither might not be up to their “racing toughness” to give a premier account of their skills.

The one horse that most concerns me is Rachel Alexandra because history has shown that good 3yos don’t necessary be good 4yos particularly early in their 4yo seasons; both Seattle Slew and Affirmed loss their stake race debuts as 4yos.

Hmm, how about the fact that Z's undefeated and won the Breeders' Cup Classic last fall? And RA was the 2009 HOY, won the Preakness and then the Woodward against older horses and consistently ran 105 to 115 Beyers (not too shabby for a 3-yr-old filly)?

What exactly would you look for in their PPs to make it historic?

ZephyrHawk
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
All you young whippersnappers. I still remember the excitement for the Ten Broeck - Mollie McCarty match race. None of this dash nonsense like you kids like today, real heats the way this kind of race is meant to be. I took a good bit of money from the guys just off the train from California who thought the mare was a sure thing. Well, at least some things never change. Heh, heh, heh.

:lol:

CincyHorseplayer
02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm 1 year older than this poster and assuming a 20 year lifetime span before getting into horse racing we're talking about from 1994 til present.Could this be the best race in that span??

GARY Z
02-14-2010, 07:02 PM
A: JOHN HENRY facing any horse in the world

b: dtto for Forego

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Yeah, the winner and runner up for HOY from the year before, both in rarified air in terms of their accomplishments against males, both with very strong Beyer numbers, one has never been beaten and won the BC while one won a triple crown race last year and a G1 against older males, one has a controversial and outspoken owner, one runs on or near the lead while one is a closer.......man, what a borefest this is gonna be....

Cratos
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Hmm, how about the fact that Z's undefeated and won the Breeders' Cup Classic last fall? And RA was the 2009 HOY, won the Preakness and then the Woodward against older horses and consistently ran 105 to 115 Beyers (not too shabby for a 3-yr-old filly)?

What exactly would you look for in their PPs to make it historic?

First of all I am not a proponent of the Beyer speed figures as being an indicator of class and quality and having been trained at both the undergrad and grad levels in engineering and econometrics; and coupling that knowledge with applied work experience and 42 years of handicapping thoroughbreds, I believe I make such assertion with accountable firmness.

But to answer your question about why I am skeptical about this being a historic match and I what I would look for? It is that even though Zenyatta ran one of the most exciting races in the BC Classic that I have ever seen; it is not the common line on her resume and I would want to see more similar performances in her PPs.

The same can be said about Rachel’s Mother Goose which I think is the best race of her short career.

What does HOY of year have to do with anything? It didn’t make Criminal Type become a household name, Favorite Trick was less than stellar the next year after his HOY award, and if you look, you will probably find several more HOY winners with similar next year credentials. Also I was a Rachel HOY supporter and will forever argue that her HOY award was deserved.

Cratos
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah, the winner and runner up for HOY from the year before, both in rarified air in terms of their accomplishments against males, both with very strong Beyer numbers, one has never been beaten and won the BC while one won a triple crown race last year and a G1 against older males, one has a controversial and outspoken owner, one runs on or near the lead while one is a closer.......man, what a borefest this is gonna be....

Please understand that I believe that you have the right and the freedom to like whatever you want too; no one should make your choices.

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Please understand that I believe that you have the right and the freedom to like whatever you want too; no one should make your choices.

This English major(undergrad, no grad) who has been following racing for 26 years but didnt apply his English major to much of anything appreciates having the freedom to choose.....

Saratoga_Mike
02-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I think certain posters try to be contrarians just for the heck of it. Buffett would never do that!

Cratos
02-14-2010, 08:17 PM
This English major(undergrad, no grad) who has been following racing for 26 years but didnt apply his English major to much of anything appreciates having the freedom to choose.....

I hope you don’t think I was directing my comments about my education toward you because I wasn’t. Matter of fact they weren’t directed at any person, but at a concept or methodology, the Beyer Speed Figure, which I don’t accept because it is my understanding that Archimedes never solved a problem with all variables and I am convinced that Beyer can’t either.

Again, if the BSFs work for you I applaud your success and you should keep using them; I hope you don’t take this as some sort of cynicism.

Valuist
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
As for excitement, we won't know until the race is run. Highly anticipated? Yes, although I'm not sure its any more anticipated than when horses like Real Quiet, Silver Charm, Big Brown, Smarty Jones and others were going for the Triple Crown.

Relwob Owner
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I hope you don’t think I was directing my comments about my education toward you because I wasn’t. Matter of fact they weren’t directed at any person, but at a concept or methodology, the Beyer Speed Figure, which I don’t accept because it is my understanding that Archimedes never solved a problem with all variables and I am convinced that Beyer can’t either.

Again, if the BSFs work for you I applaud your success and you should keep using them; I hope you don’t take this as some sort of cynicism.

I just found it funny that you brought your education into your analysis and I was just messing around, no worries.....Beyer himself does admit that his factors arent the end all, be all, just a part of the puzzle....